Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats on TV

David Conwill

Call Me a Cab
HatMagnet said:
I've been seeing commercials for a new program (can't remember the name) starring Timothy Hutton...

The show is called Leverage.

I think it's also worth noting that nearly all of the mainstream department stores are offering (wool) felt fedoras with grosgrain ribbons, something I don't recall having seen anytime in the recent past. The fedora is catching on, or at least becoming "in" for a season or two. I've also noticed far more men of all ages wearing flat caps since the snow started falling. It's almost as if as the economy gets worse, people want to look nicer.

-Dave

zetwal

I'll Lock Up
Fedoras on TV News

I saw a reporter wearing a Trilby on the local news today. I thought that we had a thread for such sightings. But I couldn't find it. Anyway, here it is. :p

TV2.jpg

K

kpreed

Thanks

zetwal said:
I saw a reporter wearing a Trilby on the local news today. I thought that we had a thread for such sightings. But I couldn't find it. Anyway, here it is. :p

TV2.jpg
I really hope the wearing of hats on T.V. for outside shots, is a newish trend, not just a cold weather item.
Thank You for sharing this.

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
LOL...I wore my grey fedora in my standup last Monday when covering the impact of new airlines rules on travelers (WJET-TV, Erie, PA). It was blowing, snowing, and freezing so it looked great as I stood outside the terminal. One of the (young) producers saw it and said "That is so cool. You look like a cop!"

I'll try to post a pic.

Doesn't that reporter know you are supposed to remove your hat while indoors?

Lefty

I'll Lock Up
That guy looks terrible. He makes me want to stop wearing hats, scarves, and all patterns.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Lefty said:
That guy looks terrible. He makes me want to stop wearing hats, scarves, and all patterns.

Yes, that hat needs to be killed with fire and/or nuked from orbit, just to be sure.

Hopefully he'll soon move to more mature hats.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
NBC's Today has ok'd Matt and Al to wear hats in "hat weather." But that's not a hard news gig, and if Al were not already in an accepted hat-wearing demographic, NBC probably would not have gone for it.

Otherwise it's limited to commentators with personae, such as blabber-con Matt Drudge, who thinks he's Winchell, and boxing writer Bert Sugar, who wishes he was.
matt+drudge-2.jpg
amd_home_sugar.jpg

Bassman

A-List Customer
Brian Sheridan said:
Doesn't that reporter know you are supposed to remove your hat while indoors?

He's outdoors. Notice the chain link fence to his right.
C'mon! Hone those investigative reporter skills!lol

Sam Craig

One Too Many
Take a stand for hats

I'm a daily newspaper editor and I decided years ago it was time to take a stand for hat wear.

More of us need to get on board and bring back the daily wear of hats.

Maybe we can stroll downtown and buy a decent new hat again, someday.

Maybe.

Fletch

I'll Lock Up
thunderw21 said:
Yes, that hat needs to be killed with fire and/or nuked from orbit, just to be sure.

Hopefully he'll soon move to more mature hats.
Honestly? Maybe not. This may be a context where it's ok to look trendy/gimmicky, but making the look more mature would seem pretentious.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Fletch said:
Honestly? Maybe not. This may be a context where it's ok to look trendy/gimmicky, but making the look more mature would seem pretentious.

I don't know, I don't like the idea of getting my news from someone who wears the same hat as a 'gansta' wannabe, high school kid or urban youth. Newsmen are supposed to be trustworthy in their reporting of both serious and lighthearted news; looking trustworthy when they do so goes a long way. I think he looks silly, not trustworthy.

A full blown '30s style overcoat with a tall crowned, reversed tapered fedora would probably look silly too. There needs to be a happy medium for newspeople: modern but understated.

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Nice to see a few other journos around the lounge!

I posted this elsewhere a few weeks back after I tried to sneak my new Akubra Hampton on air.

CHRIS_HAT_3.jpg

I got an amused thumbs down from the director and read the rest of the bulletin with hat hair...a distinct disadvantage of hat-wearing in this game!

elvisroe

A-List Customer
Not a TV story but media related...

My little brother is also a journalist/photographer working for a small regional newspaper. Part of his job is to get around on weekends and take social pix at parties and sporting events.

He often wears his Hampton (similar to mine above) while on the job in the sun and a few months ago was copping abuse from a group of drunk, scruffy rugby fans. For some reason they took a dislike to his lid and let him know in no uncertain terms. One guy in particular kept insisting "that's just so uncool/unfashionable/daggy etc."

While he laughed it off at the time he soon got his revenge and published a photo of the guy captioned "local Fashionista John Smith cheers on the Rams".
lol

4and1

One of the Regulars
elvisroe said:
While he laughed it off at the time he soon got his revenge and published a photo of the guy captioned "local Fashionista John Smith cheers on the Rams".
lol

That's great. I like that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass