Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hats you like all out of proportion to their quality

I suspect that most of us have hats that we like for reasons that have little to do with their overall quality. Maybe it’s nostalgia, maybe it’s just comfortable, or maybe it fits you just right. I invite all to share there favorite hats that they like all out of proportion to their quality.

My offering:
This is a common 1970s or ‘80s Resistol 3X Beaver western in granite. It was an nondescript western, but I trimmed the brim and sent it to VS where it received brim binding, reblocking, and a new ribbon. It’s still a cheap and unrefined hat, but I really love it. It’s just right, and I don’t really know why.

1AE88473-5A7C-443D-9F50-04813745AD33.jpeg
1F24C49B-8DA1-41C9-A456-B7F60A4A0CA2.jpeg
6B2C7348-4CE4-4DEA-9576-D18E6D9B19CF.jpeg
474A652F-99BE-4C55-AA9B-728C949263C2.jpeg

Beaver Brand OR clone. Typical of the 70s. Felt is decent but not vintage. A little heavier than it needs to be. The brim is wonky and wavy. It fits like a dream and it's just fun to wear

View attachment 217796 View attachment 217797
I had two Beaver Brand hats and the felts both a bit coarse and they could have used more pouncing but they did have a charm to them. Ended up giving them away as they were black and never worn. I do regret not keeping one as I really liked the hat and I guess lamented the closing of long lived American manufacturer. I have still one Beaver brand western as my last one....alas it is black as well.

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up

Tukwila

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I was given this old straw hat by a coworker who was ready to throw it out. Clearly made in Cuenca, it's semi-calado with cracked straw at the top/front of the crown, and has a wide brim. It has a Greg Norman tag on the fabric sweatband and came with a severely faded pug. I replaced the pug, but gave up on trying to salvage the cracked straw.

It's a beater, but somehow I really like this old hat. It's comfortable, cool on a breezy, hot day, the price was right, and I don't worry about damaging or losing it.

Attachments

• Greg Norman Panama Hat_01.jpeg
    Greg Norman Panama Hat_01.jpeg
    470.7 KB · Views: 289

Tukwila

I picked this up in Mt. Angel, Oregon, while attending the local Oktoberfest last year. A 50s Mallory Ten with heathered felt, made in the Trachten Hut style that is so popular in the little Bavarian styled town. I find myself grabbing it more often than I ever thought I would. It has a fairly stingy brim and a relatively short, tapered crown, but - oddly enough - I really like this one even though it has none of the features I usually look for in a vintage or custom fedora.

Attachments

• Mallory_10.jpeg
    Mallory_10.jpeg
    468.1 KB · Views: 299
  • Mallory_03.jpeg
    Mallory_03.jpeg
    297 KB · Views: 318
  • Mallory_09.jpeg
    Mallory_09.jpeg
    459.5 KB · Views: 289
  • Mallory_05.jpeg
    Mallory_05.jpeg
    446.2 KB · Views: 402
Some of you have seen this one before:

XvXUeUF.jpg

No name, no liner, no frills of any kind, it's just a cheap cotton Trilby that was made in China. Got it through evilBay a little over a year ago, and it cost me a whopping $3.58 shipped. It was sent to me in a durable plastic pouch that was inflated (to protect the hat) and sealed...

ER7M0cS.jpg

qJ1Vm42.jpg

...so I'm sure someone somewhere lost a little money on this deal. I got it as a bit of a goof because I knew wearing it would annoy all of the right people, but I ended up liking the hat quite a lot. And when the inevitable day comes when it gets lost, damaged, or otherwise can no longer be worn, I won't be out a lot of money. It's a win/win/winwinwinwinwinwinwin. :D

Last edited:

tropicalbob

This is a great thread, as I it gets right to the heart of our hat obsessions. Whenever somebody asks me why I wear a hat all the time I think of a line from a James Joyce short story, in which a young man at a party asks an old girl why she drinks so much: she replies, "I think I like it."

Rumad

One Too Many
I suspect that most of us have hats that we like for reasons that have little to do with their overall quality. Maybe it’s nostalgia, maybe it’s just comfortable, or maybe it fits you just right. I invite all to share there favorite hats that they like all out of proportion to their quality.

My offering:
This is a common 1970s or ‘80s Resistol 3X Beaver western in granite. It was an nondescript western, but I trimmed the brim and sent it to VS where it received brim binding, reblocking, and a new ribbon. It’s still a cheap and unrefined hat, but I really love it. It’s just right, and I don’t really know why.

View attachment 217473 View attachment 217474 View attachment 217475 View attachment 217476
Good lookin hat, and it looks good on you. What’s not to like.

Last edited:

Boomerang

One of the Regulars
I bought this Bushman in Nullarbor Tan at the David Morgan Bothell store in July 2019. It was the first open crown hat I purchased with the intent of bashing myself, so I went in with the mindset of this being my Guinea Pig Hat. Zero attachment: this one is bound to suffer. Lacking confidence, I asked Will Morgan to get the foundation of a cattleman's crease started for me.

NTB1-1.jpg

I beat the crap out of the poor felt for a couple weeks with my ham-handed trial and error, but I finally got the crease I was after. The damage/wear is visible on the front of the crown. Again, no undue concern for the sacrificial tan hat.

NTB2-1.jpg

NTB2-2.jpg

Months later I decided to drop the brim down dramatically, and this would serve as my first effort in reshaping a brim with distilled water. This tired soldier had become my work hat. It acquired some mystery stains but started to get really comfortable, and I found myself wearing it around the house a lot.

NTB3-1.jpg

NTB3-2.jpg

The next "first" this hat suffered was just last week when I soaked it with distilled water, took it back to open crown (fairly successfully, using only my fingernails) and allowed it to dry for a few hours. I applied the bash seen below, and gave it another good spritz with distilled water to set the crease.

NTB4-1.jpg

NTB4-2.jpg
NTB4-3.jpg

Presently this is the first hat I reach for every morning. I use it when I need something to stave-off the chill air, or when I just need to wear a comfortable hat and find some calm. It is kind of an enigma for me. I tell myself that it is the hat I care the least about, but in reality it is the last one I'd get rid of.

Last edited:
I bought this “Anchorman” a while back. It is a strange hat for sure. It has a feminine quality to it, and while breezy and light, it doesn’t block as much sun as a “straw” hat should. It’s huge crown and swoopy deeply flanged brim are also a bit odd. I don’t wear it, but I can’t bring myself to sell it either (I’ve listed 23 hats for sale in the last couple days with another 30+ to go). Such an unusual hat, and at size 7 5/8 I’m assuming that it was intended for men.

0DFEADD0-B646-4588-B43A-8B9D7C5A97F8.jpeg
CC284A68-C187-4CBC-A89A-4F64F19EB985.jpeg
898CD0DE-0C4E-44B5-A201-D0A576C5D52C.jpeg
370CE8B3-3D70-4DDC-B627-43FBF5A4EA79.jpeg
2257954B-DD68-4EC1-ACD0-D3C986672F1E.jpeg
9E1BF956-6A4A-41F9-89EB-53554734BE05.jpeg

I bought this “Anchorman” a while back. It is a strange hat for sure. It has a feminine quality to it, and while breezy and light, it doesn’t block as much sun as a “straw” hat should. It’s huge crown and swoopy deeply flanged brim are also a bit odd. I don’t wear it, but I can’t bring myself to sell it either (I’ve listed 23 hats for sale in the last couple days with another 30+ to go). Such an unusual hat, and at size 7 5/8 I’m assuming that it was intended for men.

View attachment 251326 View attachment 251327 View attachment 251328 View attachment 251329 View attachment 251330 View attachment 251331
That is a very strange animal!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
IGDS