Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian Shirts - Aloha Shirts

Clyde R.

One of the Regulars
Anybody know of a source for one of the other Clift shirts from Eternity...not the dark "death shirt?" I saw one online a year or two ago but now can't find it.

Mike K.

One Too Many
Aloha shirts - Hawaiian Shirts

Summer is here and it's time to break out those aloha shirts. Of course those of us living in warmer climates will tend to wear them year 'round.
Here's a few of mine...
mikesaloha.jpg

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Avanti rocks Salv!

Look at the collar on that baby! I was going to buy a couple back in October, but house renovations ate my dough. There are more than a few Avanti designs I love, I'll be sure to get some once the house is done.

dr greg

One Too Many
avanti

hate to be a party pooper, but Avanti are apparently dodgy repro's and serious collectors don't touch them, I've had a few dealings with Camille Shaheen, daughter of the legendary Alfred
http://www.alfredshaheen.com/
and she has had a lot of trouble enforcing design copyright with mobs like Avanti and the japanese repro gang..buy the real thing, it's worth it:
like this 50's Pali I got with provenance for $US75, that's how much some chinese billabong crap is worth in a surf shop.
sht4uo.jpg

Mike K.

One Too Many
I have ordered a number of fine shirts from www.rainbowhawaii.com
These are the authentic items...matched pockets, appropriate buttons, etc.
They carries tons of different prints and have apparel for both men & women.
Made in Hawaii.

The other place to look is www.hotshirts.com
They are a bit more pricey, but most are high quality brands (even the Paradise on a Hanger store brand is really good). Besides shirts they also stock dresses and even doggie apparel...cool.

Be sure you get the real deal. Hawaiian/Aloha shirts should have a matched pocket, i.e. it blends perfectly with the shirt print so from a distance you can hardly tell there is a pocket. Buttons should be coconut, kukui, bamboo, etc.
Have fun!!!
;)

dr greg

One Too Many
a classic example

That design there is a well-known one that originally came out on both the Hale Hawaii and Pali Hawaiian Style labels in the 50's, I have it in red, but a bit beat-up. The Sun Surf ones are incredible repro's even down to the stitching, and fetch nearly as much as the real thing, but I must mention that not all high-end classic aloha shirts had matching pockets. I have some very nice Royal Hawaiian, Surfrider's Sportswear, and Polynesian Sportswear that don't.
Then there are those that do
shirty0017fr.jpg

Pali Hawaiian Style, rayon
shirty0029cq.jpg

Pali Hawaiian Style, rayon
shirty0033sp.jpg

Makaha, rayon
shirty0042pq.jpg

McInerny's, cotton, came in the original box, which explains the small stains from the coconut buttons
shirty0056ba.jpg

Waikiki Sports, cotton

DanielJones

I'll Lock Up
I just managed to find a Mambo Loud Shirt on EBay a little while back. Loud & Tropical. They don't even make them any more. They're sort of the Aloha shirt of Australia. Some real cool crazy graphics.

Cheers!

Dan

Speedster

Practically Family
I have three Paradise Found shirts.

One Jungle Bird in red:
jungle-bird-red.jpg

and one Star Orchid in blue:
star-orchid-navy.jpg

and one similar to the Jungle Bird, but in darker red and with more parrots one it.

Will have to dig out my camera and post some pictures of them.

Speedster

Practically Family
dr greg said:
the paradise found jungle bird in red is of course the famous Magnum PI shirt and one is in the smithsonian i believe, I've got one in blue, which doesn't count, but a nice traditional style anyway for the 80's

Yes, back in the 80'ies i used to watch Tom Selleck in Magnum, and when on holidays in Florida in 1991 I saw, in a shop selling Aloha shirts, a photo of him wearing the Paradise Found Jungle Bird shirt, so i just had to buy it.

Magnumpi.jpg

Unfortunately the shirt has been shrinking over the years (or i have grown bigger) and is now slightly too small for me. The two others are only 3 years old and suits me perfect.

Absinthe_1900

One Too Many
dr greg said:
That design there is a well-known one that originally came out on both the Hale Hawaii and Pali Hawaiian Style labels in the 50's, I have it in red, but a bit beat-up. The Sun Surf ones are incredible repro's even down to the stitching, and fetch nearly as much as the real thing

Yes, I'm very familiar with the design, the Hale & Pali (Diamondhead shirt) design is my favorite of all aloha shirt patterns for many years, I bought a couple of the Avanti re-pops when it came out a few years ago.
(I saw a Hale version on eBay a few years ago that was in my size, not meet reserve at $1300.00 USD)

I'd like to see Sun-Surf do that pattern, I have a few of their re-pops and like their work.

I backed away from chasing the originals, since the designs I want, are insane as far as pricing on the collectors market. (Especially when you are looking for the larger sized shirts)

dr greg

One Too Many
aloha

The prices on feebay are definitely exponential in relation to sizes, reflecting the general scarcity of bigger people back in the old days, which has been canvassed on other threads. I'd love to have thousands to spend on shirts but unfortunately Jack Nicholson was born already so I couldn't be him.
Luckily I can get into the old OS (here) or L in US sizing and the odd roomy M, which means the classic shirts are still occasionally in my price range, I've got 1/2 a dozen Pali's and never paid more than 75 for them. Which is, as I say, pretty much the going rate in any surf shop for disposable crap. So why not have the real deal. More incentive to watch the waistline.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
StrangeRay