Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian Shirts - Aloha Shirts

GHT

I'll Lock Up
That's a nice one GHT! My compliments to the designer.
You, my friend, have an appreciative eye for a well made shirt. Thank you very much, your compliments have been duly forwarded.

This shirt, much as I like it, has to be chosen with care. Hiding behind the flora and fauna are ladies as naked as the day they were born. All very discreet, but not one for The Vicar's tea party.
aloha 064.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We are off to The Nostalgia Show, tomorrow. That link will take you to a slide show of previous events. It will be an early start, and as I have yet to work out how to go on line on my phone, I shall be computer free all day. Last year, and the year before, I dressed very formally in a suit and tie, and did I get hot, or what?
hats 12.jpg
So, this year I'm wearing this outfit, and as they haven't seen Esther's hat, it will go down rather well.
Esther-hat 001.JPG
However, I'm thinking of wearing the Route 66 shirt with it, and just in case it gets really hot, I shall swap the hat for a straw, hope Esther doesn't mind.
aloha 065.jpg
But then again, I do rather like the Gatsby shirt worn with the striped blazer. I'll sleep on it and let you know when we get home.
hats 010.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The blue outfit was the preferred choice, planes included, my wife says that I fuss about my dress sense more than a woman. Today might have been collar and tie but yesterday's weather was very humid, and today is expected to be much the same. The Nostalgia Show that we went to yesterday, is a three day event, but they do have day passes for classic car owners. A week end there is quite tiring, on a hip that might need replacing, I've also promised someone to take the MG along to another event today.
It's a fashion come vintage event, depicting the art deco period of the 20th century. That makes for an easy choice of shirt.
aloha 065.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The times I get called Indiana whenever I wear this hat, and those who do so, think that they are being oh so original. They may love the Indiana Jones movies but I bet not one of the could name Herbert Johnson, or, Swaine Adeney Brigg. I would go further, I bet that very few even knew that the Indiana hat is a product of the UK. As for me, Swaine's may make a lovely hat, but at £245 plus tax, which is almost $500US, I will stick with this Susquehanna that I bought in Edinburgh many years ago.
Dressing differently often brings a response, the first time I wore this shirt was at an airshow, naive though it sounds, I didn't even think of the connection when I put it on. That day, I was asked time and again where the stall was that I bought the shirt from. It's a lovely background colour, goes great with the hat, eh Indy?
aloha 073.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
It was to be expected I suppose. A couple of weeks ago I went back to work, just part time and just a few hours. That part time has been growing into a full day. Today, when I switched my phone on there was a text from the company that I work for, it merely said, in block capitals: "HELP!" It was six 0'clock before I managed to get my work finished, and although it left me somewhat tired, I felt exhilarated. Got home, straight into the shower and into something more comfortable.
aloha 074.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
My wife has such an eye for detail. Out and about yesterday, she came across a pair of trousers for sale in a charity shop. They seem to be unworn and the detail within the pattern makes me wonder if they were once part of a suit. Years ago, when I had made to measure suits for work, I always had two pairs of trousers because they had a lot more wear than the jacket. These oversize pants will end up with buttons for suspenders/braces, a button fly, the seat of the pants pulled in to fit like a glove and the two inch over length, along with the generous two inch hem, will create an attractive turned up cuff.
Put them together with my blue & white correspondence shoes, Esther's fabulous hat and this lovely shirt and it will look the part for summer.
aloha 077.JPG
Here's those trousers, (they cost just £4,) before Tina gets to work on them.
aloha 078.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The opening verse to the song, made famous by Frank Sinatra, "It's Nice To Go Trav'ling,"goes:
It's very nice to go trav'ling
To Paris, London and Rome
It's oh so nice to go trav'ling
But it's so much nicer, yes it's so much nicer, to come home.

How I love that sentiment, I had a lovely home in London, and now, living on the borders of two very popular counties in the UK, that being Dorset & Hampshire, my wife and I, again, have a lovely home.
But we do have a wanderlust and when she saw this material that depicts the artifacts of travel in The Golden Age, she knew it would make a great shirt.

aloha 080.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
What a day, so busy. Up at five, showered, shaved, dressed and breakfast and out by five forty-five. Drop the MG into the garage for a service, then onto work by six. Helping out covering a long term sick absence. Finished by five pm. Home, showered again, change into something more familiar. Collect the MG, drop off my Mercedes to the Dealer, lift home with Tina, then off to the supermarket for some essential groceries. I told you it was all go, finally got home at about seven, Tina, bless her, had cooked the chicken, veg and potatoes that I had left ready to do. It was delicious, profiteroles for dessert, a glass of Merlot and a piping hot coffee. i'm almost ready for bed. Good job we aren't dancing tonight.
aloha 081.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We are just seven days away from the longest day of daylight, the summer solstice, and the sunshine is not co-operating. Here's hoping for a lovely evening. The MG is booked for a photoshoot this evening, Adrian, the photographer that I have worked with on numerous occasions wants to use the car as a backdrop for a period fashion photo shoot. He's very good at reproducing vintage type, sepia, black & white pictures. See here.
I shall be keeping a discreet distance, but, I thought that with vintage cars and pin-up models, I have just the shirt. I bet Adrian notices, he always does.
aloha 082.JPG
I've just noticed, the two photos above are so similarly posed that they could have been photo shopped. It's the poor light, I was trying to get the best angle to show off the shirt. But I would put money on you lot for recognising the hat with the red shirt is a Stetson.

Last edited:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
You remember those blue trousers? She's finished them and they are looking rather good.
aloha 086.jpg
They team up with a pair of spectator shoes, beautifully.
2tone.jpg
The effect of them teamed with my Route 66 shirt, summer blazer and the hat that Esther made, works very well. I bought a selfie stick, with which I could have shown you, but like all technology, it refuses to work for me. However, I can show you the shirt, blazer and hat.
aloha 083.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Look out, here comes Mr Banana. I've left the floral shirts in the wardrobe today. This shirt is one of a number that Tina made many years ago, I'm so pleased that the buttons aren't straining at their buttonholes. In the absence of a what shirt thread, I'm just showing how sometimes, it's not just the shirt, or it's pattern that can make for a good outfit. The material of this shirt is seersucker, a fabric you don't see too much of these days. It's probably still sold, but as most of my clothes are hand made by Tina, or made to measure by a tailor, I don't visit clothes stores very much, if at all. And the T-shirt, cargo shorts and trainers that is the ubiquitous mode of dress in the high street, doesn't exactly lend itself to such fabrics as seersucker.

The Mr Banana tag comes about because the shirt is a chequered mix of light yellows, whites and cream, and wearing it with lemon, linen pants gives it a sunny outlook. Tina has made me a number of these very light shirts, I've included a couple more, note the top one, in the days before she lined up the pocket to blend in. She insisted that I should wear it for gardening and that she would make me another. I wouldn't hear of it.
aloha 088.jpg

aloha 089.jpg

Look out, here comes Mr Banana. I've left the floral shirts in the wardrobe today. This shirt is one of a number that Tina made many years ago, I'm so pleased that the buttons aren't straining at their buttonholes. In the absence of a what shirt thread, I'm just showing how sometimes, it's not just the shirt, or it's pattern that can make for a good outfit. The material of this shirt is seersucker, a fabric you don't see too much of these days. It's probably still sold, but as most of my clothes are hand made by Tina, or made to measure by a tailor, I don't visit clothes stores very much, if at all. And the T-shirt, cargo shorts and trainers that is the ubiquitous mode of dress in the high street, doesn't exactly lend itself to such fabrics as seersucker.

The Mr Banana tag comes about because the shirt is a chequered mix of light yellows, whites and cream, and wearing it with lemon, linen pants gives it a sunny outlook. Tina has made me a number of these very light shirts, I've included a couple more, note the top one, in the days before she lined up the pocket to blend in. She insisted that I should wear it for gardening and that she would make me another. I wouldn't hear of it.
View attachment 51662

View attachment 51663
GHT those look like palaka shirts, the kind worn originally by the sugar cane plantation workers in Hawaii, which were also more or less the predecessors of the more elaborately patterned aloha shirts we know and love. I have seen a couple of fine examples of these here. Mikespens has a couple, and I believe Hatophile may have posted one as well. So those ones you got there most certainly fit into this thread.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The blue hat band on a cream coloured straw with a blue floral shirt. Magnificent!

Dale, I will look up palaka shirts, sounds very interesting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner