Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hawaiian Shirts - Aloha Shirts

GHT

I'll Lock Up
This shirt looks to me as it is hand painted and it is priceless.
Love the pattern and print on that one, GHT.
Thanks guys, such generous compliments, you make my lady proud. When Tina bought the material, I commented that the floral pattern had the look of the French Fleur-de-Lys. Tina said that the lady in Honolulu, from whom she buys regularly, said much the same.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Green and white go very well, for coolness when the dancing gets energetic, it's psychologically preferable to go with a more predominant white. Tina nearly made me a shirt in this pattern, unbeknown to her these ladies beat her to it. Can you imagine the stick I would have got? By the way, Tina didn't make the dresses, but she did style their hair vintage, all of them. The ladies, and their partners/husbands, attend many festivals, it must cost them quite a bit in travel, they all hail from Holland.

Tommy-VF51

A-List Customer
Scored this one last week on the bay, my first Aloha shirt. Made in Hawaii, of course! It should arrive in the next days.

Not as colorful or original as some of the shirts seen here, but I kinda loved the pattern and the "subdued" colors.

What brand is this? Should probably make the effort to post up some my aloha, 2 outta the 3 are pop over and I wanna even it out with another button thru loop collar?

Personally I prefer reverse print shirts like this anyways.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We were at a 50's Rock and Roll party last night, there was a time when I would have put more than a few pints of beer down my neck at such events. Last night I drank one glass of wine then coffee. But I still managed to put the painful hip through a number of jives.
When we got home, the hip benefitted from the long hot soak in the tub. One thing today didn't bring that the consumption of beer would have done in the past, was that rough feeling, bordering on a hang over. So, cooking lunch today, and another glass for the chef, bottoms up.
aloha 037.JPG

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Sometimes, a photo comes out not quite right. When that happens I just delete it and take another. On Sunday, I found a text on my phone from a good friend who is a volunteer organiser at classic car shows. He had sent out a 'help' to a few old classic owners to come along and give some balance against the more predominant modern classics.
My hip was reminding me that jiving on inflamed ball joint was not a good idea. Yet the car needed a spruce up, so I took her along to a local hand wash centre where she was treated like a star. Now, all cleaned up, she was ready to meet her public.
This is where those deletable photos come in. The first is of the finished clean up:
aloha 160.jpg

Then as I got to the meeting I took the second. They say that the sun shines on the righteous, just shows what sort of car I've got.
aloha 158.JPG

it was all a bit of a squeeze, cooking our lunch, getting the car cleaned, then home to dine, before heading out in the afternoon. Thank goodness roast meats can be left to cook in their own time.

Cocker

Practically Family
What brand is this? Should probably make the effort to post up some my aloha, 2 outta the 3 are pop over and I wanna even it out with another button thru loop collar?

Personally I prefer reverse print shirts like this anyways.

Sorry for the late reply, Tommy! The brand is Go Barefoot, and this shirt is an absolut delight to wear. I also prefer the reverse prints, but I'll still have to get one full color one though.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I've got this one hanging in my closet. I've outgrown it, so I never wear it. It's Waikiki-wear by Mildred's of Hawaii circa 1960's.
That's a beauty of a shirt, shame it doesn't see the light of day. You can let a shirt out, by that I mean, increase it's size, not rent it to a friend.

Y'all are really rockin' the Hawaiian shirts! GHT is the man!
I love shirts that don't need to be tucked in... Hawaiian shirts, the guayabera, etc, etc.
i-8sPWJD9-M.jpg
Well thanks for the compliment. You too have some fine shirts, good to see a hat or two in there as well.
The centurian, is that the latin look? It wouldn't surprise me if it was discovered the The Romans actually made it across the pond.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Today's shirt is a great favourite. The first photo looks like a sample fabric square, but closer inspection reveals the shirt buttons, and then if you look at the line on the model's arm, you will see the shirt pocket. Such attention to detail on such quality material would probably cost a three figure sum to buy. How spoilt am I?

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Well thanks for the compliment. You too have some fine shirts, good to see a hat or two in there as well.
The centurian, is that the latin look? It wouldn't surprise me if it was discovered the The Romans actually made it across the pond.
The guayabera has been claimed, variously, as Mexican, Cuban, Filipino and Spanish in origin. They are very popular in SA, Samoa, and other countries as listed.

bluesforchallah

Practically Family
That's a beauty of a shirt, shame it doesn't see the light of day. You can let a shirt out, by that I mean, increase it's size, not rent it to a friend.

I decided to try it on and see...

Maybe it doesn't look or feel too bad. I either need to find a replacement button to replace the lost button on the bottom or replace all four. It would probably be easier to replace all four.

3480EE2D-DDA2-4A45-A36D-EF97315D0393_zpssrcbyilk.jpg

DB2CC1EF-0106-4A8B-8AE6-195E62DF2F26_zps3ycb0drr.jpg

C102ABF1-431D-4FDE-AE28-ECAB5AD047E7_zps4gbsylj4.jpg

GHT

I'll Lock Up
I decided to try it on and see...

Maybe it doesn't look or feel too bad. I either need to find a replacement button to replace the lost button on the bottom or replace all four. It would probably be easier to replace all four.

3480EE2D-DDA2-4A45-A36D-EF97315D0393_zpssrcbyilk.jpg
What's wrong with that? It sits comfortably on you, now all you need is a smart Panama hat to complete the look. That shirt contrasts your jeans perfectly, a good casual look, yet crisp and smart with it. You find yourself a hat and post a picture of yourself on the: What Hat Are You Wearing thread, only do it on a Friday. Jim, that's Frunobulax, started an Aloha Friday, that shirt will go down very well, Just try and see.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
We were at an open air concert on Sunday. It was a joint gig, organised by a classic car club and a big band known as Swing Unlimited.
Ashley, who has pressed and pressed me into joining the car club, (I won't,) text me to say, don't bring your car, we only have an insurance licence for 250 cars and that number was reached months ago. "So, it's the period dress to upstage you all, then," I teased on the return text. "Come dressed like you did at Shake & Stir," he goaded. Shake & Stir is a vintage festival that was held last June. Well me and my missus needed no other encouragement.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The new shirt, that seems like an age in coming together, took another step to completion today. The arrival of the shirt buttons. Actually they are lapel pins which means still further work to be done, grinding the pin and butterfly constraint off, before gluing on a clasp that can be sewn to the shirt.
With the material laid out in it's panels ready for sewing, Tina asked what sort of buttons would I like? A difficult choice given that the cars are in different colours as well as as varying background shades. That's when I thought about a button with the MG logo on, but getting such buttons proved monumental, if not impossible, until I came across the gift page of the MG Owners Club catalogue. There I found the lapel pin, perfect, now all I have to do is make a button of it. Just to update you, here's the pins and the shirt material:

GHT

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Fed, I'm really looking forward to seeing this shirt finished, my patience is like that of a child anticipating Christmas. Although in essence the shirt is for summer wear, and to that end, I commissioned a hat to go with it that Esther put heart and soul into, it's a real beauty. The bigger rim is perfect with the ensemble. I know that this is a shirt thread but just this once:

Then, with a hat and shirt so magnificent, the look has to extend to the feet, so I commissioned a pair of shoes too.

Worn with my lovely Oxford baggy trousers, you can see why I'm like that child waiting for Christmas.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21