Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Heather and Yon...

Vintage Sister

New in Town
Hey everyone. I no longer wear hats but still have a few that I just cant part with. This is a hat that I have loved for years. An early to mid 30's Borsalino Misto w/ their Bordo Doppio. I had a new SB stitched and the original liner is there although very faded. It's a perfectly fitting 7 3/8 long oval, I had it cleaned & blocked; when I bought it it was crushed flat, I paid less than 20$ for it. My only request during blocking was "no pinch". I love a pinch-less hat. I think it's lovely.

413091_218336848280711_701085875_o by Leslley Scotte, on Flickr

478994_218336901614039_814460192_o by Leslley Scotte, on Flickr

463608_218337018280694_624577528_o by Leslley Scotte, on Flickr

Last edited:

Historyteach24

Call Me a Cab
From Bob and Black Sheep Hatworks. Here she is in all her glory the hat devoted to my beautiful daughter Gracie. Tons a blue!! Blue is her birthstone and favorite color and the white accent is for the adoption awareness ribbon. Brim is 2 1/2 and the felt has a long haired finish I hope shows well in the pics. Hand dyed mid blue ribbon and the liner is freaking sweet! Such a cool/odd/unique hat for my unique daughter. Also notice the halo stitching.

navarre

Vendor
Also posted this in the Champ thread for good measure. Not in too bad of shape, I dare say that I will only replace the feathers on the badger plume and probably call it good.

Note the sculpted lines in the brim. This is similar something Tonak still produces.

navarre

Vendor
Here is a stingy and short little Foxhound that I just picked up. I wouldn't normally go for such small proportions, but i just really dug the houndstooth ribbon. This one did need a replacement of the sweatband. The Liner is still in pretty good shape though. Also posted this in the School of hard Knox.

navarre

Vendor
Are you familiar with this brim treatment Steve? I know Tonak still produces what they call "Sculpted Felt" where the lines or patterns as it were, are cut into the long finish. But I don't recall if I have see anything like this on older hats.

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
Are you familiar with this brim treatment Steve? I know Tonak still produces what they call "Sculpted Felt" where the lines or patterns as it were, are cut into the long finish. But I don't recall if I have see anything like this on older hats.

I don't know how Tonak does it, but somewhere I have a pdf-file with an American patent, describing a similar process. If my memory serves me right, you first emboss the felt between two rubber wheels with the desired pattern. Then you "scratch" the high parts of the surface with sharkskin - and finish the process by shearing the hair to suitable length.

I have a pretty large folder with poorly indexed hat-patent pdf's, but I'll try to dig it out later today :)

I don't have any examples or information on the process. I do like how it looks and I would like to learn more about it. I will also check around about it.

Last edited:
Ole, Great to see you found the patent. It does have an interesting look to it. I asked a friend in Germany about it but haven't heard back yet.

Side note: Dry scratching with shark skin is not Real (Echter) Velour.

Last edited:

TheDane

Call Me a Cab
I know, but are anybody doing wet scratching these days? I remember to have seen a video from one of the European felting/hat companies - I don't remember if it was Polka or Tonak. In the video, the shown velourizing process was dry scratching. I believe, the video was from the 60s(?)

navarre

Vendor
Tonak still does. I can occasional source them from one of my millinery supply houses but they don't always stock them. If you go to Tonak's site you will find a few patterns on their last page of Prints and designs under Products. I like the idea of offering them, but I don't see it as an option that most people would go for these days, so the bulk ordering of a full run of one color just doesn't seem worth the investment to me.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner