Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help - '20s attire suggestions

Orgetorix

Call Me a Cab
Ladies, need your help. My wife and I have been invited to a Gatsby-themed birthday party next week, and we're supposed to dress up in '20s style outfits. I can throw something together with little trouble, but my wife has no idea what to wear. She has no vintage clothing (or interest in it); her style is pretty modern along the lines of Ann Taylor Loft, Talbots, J Crew, etc.

Is there anything we can do (inexpensively) to throw together an outfit that's even remotely appropriate? The rest of the guests aren't vintage buffs either, so it doesn't have to pass much scrutiny. She's tall (5'10" and around a modern size 12), so finding actual vintage clothing is probably out of the question.

Lily Powers

Practically Family
Check out this link to the Art Deco Society of San Francisco. There are photos of past Gatsby picnics and on the left of side of page is a link called "How To Gatsby," with tips on how to affordably get the look by sewing, purchasing new clothing or working with what's already in her closet. I'd stay away from the flapper look for this event, but if your friends aren't vintage buffs, you'll quite likely see quite a few flapper outfits because it's the cliched look of the era. Your wife might find some of the other 1920's looks to be to her liking. Have fun!

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I didn't want to chime in too early because the question was directed to the ladies but since there are not many answers...

A nice and recognizable feature of 20s dresses is the dropped waistline. Often it was accentuated by some kind of stripe or embellishment. But don't imagine it too tight or curvy.
The dresses were rather straight, hide the features and work best for a slim body type.
Legs and ankles were the "sexy" body parts of the 20s. The knee lenght of the dresses was revolutionary at this time.

Here is a random 20s picture I just googled to illustrate the waistline thingy and the un-curvyness. If it looks like mad men you're doin it wrong.

il_570xN.323366894.jpg

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think Googling flapper could lead you to some wrong as well as right ideas. We ALL know that the fringe covered dress thing is totally wrong. I'd second the suggestion of waist at the hips, and a cloche-oid hat. And the Betty Boop lipstick and cheek rouge (done properly) might also help.
So . . . this is a Powder Room post, getting mostly responses from guys. Don't know what that means, but there it is.
BTW, Orgetorix, still enjoying that fine tux you sold me.

I remember back in the early 1980s (circa 1982-83 to be more precise) dresses like these were really popular of which I thought had a certain 1920s vibe to it. I suspect that something like that shouldn't be too hard for the wife to find.
okay, I'm outta here. I was looking for the... the Golden Era Tractor Pull thread... yeahhhh... that's it ;):p

chloe-royalblue-dress-1.JPG
pierrecardin-jpg.8735

Last edited:

Mrs.Williams

New in Town
You'd be amazed at how well a simple black dress can work! Start with a straight-cut black dress, add some pearl strands, T-strap heels, and all that's left needed is some dark lipstick and curls. It's fairly easy to recreate 1920s fashion if the look you shoot for is simplistic.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot