Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help..brown or tumbled?

Mark

Practically Family
Hi,
I am in need of your advice and more importantly pictures of your brown tumbled FQHH!
Yesterday i finalized my order with Holly for a brown FQHH Highwayman in a 36, budget tartan lining, corduroy strip along the hem and no internal pockets (as not recommended by Aero). However, i asked Holly if available at the time of making a lighter FQHH would be appreciated. She then suggested a tumbled FQHH. This was an option i had not thought of. At the moment my order is flexible on this point but i really am unsure of which way to go. I love the character the regular brown develops but not the stiffness of the hide (weight is not so much an issue for me). The tumbled i have read here on the FL is nice and soft from the start but (and its a big but) simply does not develop the same character and it seems to me may appear rather "flat" in colour. But as i have not been able to see many pics of tumbled brown i cannot be sure which to go for. At the moment i'm leaning towards regular brown. Can anyone out there share their thoughts and pics to help me make a confident descion that i'll be happy with?

Many thanks
Mark

ps I can also confirm Aero will no longer mess around with the basic pattern of its jackets other than length of body and arms. I wanted a slightly slimmer sleeve, no go at all on that one!

Azog

Familiar Face
My understanding is that the brown and tumbled brown are the same leather except for the tumbling which creates a broken look to the finish. In the long term they may end up looking the same again.

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
It sounds to me like the tumbled would be the way to go for you. As I understand it, you would have the brown but slightly broken in as Azog said. It would certainly be less stiff but no less fantastic.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My brown "regular" FQHH Teamster is my all time favorite jacket. The color and texture is incredible. The leather is flexible and has a waxy feel that is pleasing to the touch. My black vintage/tumbled FQHH Highwayman has a somewhat "dry" feel, and the leather is stiffer and less flexible than that of the Teamster (also thicker).

Having said all of that, I would be hesitant to have you base your decision on just my two jackets as the sample for comparison is too small. I think that it would all be based on the specific hide from which your jacket would be made. Perhaps others can provide additional samples for comparison.

Highwaymanman

A-List Customer
have you considered oil pull brown HH? It's pretty heavy, nearly as heavy as FQHH but it breaks in very quickly becoming softer but also scuffing very easily - these can be buffed out very easily if you like but you can just leave them if you prefer. It might be a little quicker of a break in period than the heavy FQHH.

Have you asked about the newer 'battered brown' or is that ther same as tumbled? I can't keep it all straight in my head these days.

schitzo

Suspended
I see it like this:

tumbled is for fannys, regular is for real men.

Hope that's helped.

All the best
Schitz

wdw

One Too Many
My inclination would be to go for regular and enjoy the break-in process. I have a vintage black, which is probably equivalent to tumbled, but since then all my jackets have been regular as it just seems richer somehow.

As for battered brown, I also have that and like it, despite not being a brown person. It has subtle highlights of black and is allegedly a bit lighter and more flexible than regular.

The obvious answer when in doubt is to buy two.

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The break-in process starts the moment you put on a jacket anyway, so I'd just enjoy watching the process of change.

Get what you like. Not everyone loves the process. I've done both, and while nothing beats a brand new, made-for-you jacket that's spotless, I can see the appeal of the battered hide (look at the café Thurston posted). Nothing less manly about getting that. In some ways, it's like buying a car with a scratch already on it. Less stress :)

Mark

Practically Family
thanks guys, how can I not follow the wise words of schizo "tumbled is for fannies"! I think it was schitzo who also told me to "man-up" on another thread of mine. it's a bit of fun I know but you are quite right the regular brown is the way to go i'm sure. I shall never the less hang on for a couple of months before letting Holly know my decision. Nothing to loose by that, particularly as the wait time is now 6 months!
Thanks all.

Mark

Practically Family
Get what you like. Not everyone loves the process. I've done both, and while nothing beats a brand new, made-for-you jacket that's spotless, I can see the appeal of the battered hide (look at the café Thurston posted). Nothing less manly about getting that. In some ways, it's like buying a car with a scratch already on it. Less stress :)
I love the process even find it strangely addictive! My reasons for considering the tumbled hide as suggested by Holly is the softness and easier wearing of the tumbled verses the stiffness of the regular. However, the downside of the tumbled is the loss of character I/we love/covet in the regular.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
thanks guys, how can I not follow the wise words of schizo "tumbled is for fannies"! I think it was schitzo who also told me to "man-up" on another thread of mine. it's a bit of fun I know but you are quite right the regular brown is the way to go i'm sure. I shall never the less hang on for a couple of months before letting Holly know my decision. Nothing to loose by that, particularly as the wait time is now 6 months!
Thanks all.

Or ... you can really "man up" and go with 11 oz. rhino. :jaw: :pound:
Levity aside, there is no skin out there as good looking as brown FQHH.

I love the process even find it strangely addictive! My reasons for considering the tumbled hide as suggested by Holly is the softness and easier wearing of the tumbled verses the stiffness of the regular. However, the downside of the tumbled is the loss of character I/we love/covet in the regular.
I'm just saying that if someone here tries to tell you you're a p*ssy for getting battered hide, you're not. I almost wish I had that option when I needed to wear a new FQHH Aero in Scotland, UK, and France during the winter. But of course I have those memories and a jacket that looks killer now. Either way, you'll enjoy it.
* Be careful of advice you get from guys wearing Crocs™

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
I'm just saying that if someone here tries to tell you you're a p*ssy for getting battered hide, you're not. I almost wish I had that option when I needed to wear a new FQHH Aero in Scotland, UK, and France during the winter. But of course I have those memories and a jacket that looks killer now. Either way, you'll enjoy it.
* Be careful of advice you get from guys wearing Crocs™

Just don't go with lambskin. Than you are one. :pound:

schitzo

Suspended
man, when it comes to crocs I think some of you lot protest a bit too much..

No matter, regardless of who is and who isn't a secret crocs wearer, as any decent Podiatrist will tell you they are the perfect summer footwear if you wanna be nice to your feet

man, when it comes to crocs I think some of you lot protest a bit too much..No matter, regardless of who is and who isn't a secret crocs wearer, as any decent Podiatrist will tell you they are the perfect summer footwear if you wanna be nice to your feet
Dude, really? I made no secrets of my wearing and owning of Crocs, hence the post - which I thought would bring humor.Don't protest the protesters so much.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff