Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help..brown or tumbled?

Mark

Practically Family
You guys have lost me with the croc thing! But hey my original post was a request for pics of Tumbled brown hides and your opinion of them. Would also be nice to see how they age.

Thanks chaps

ps whats wrong with crocs any how? I'll happily don a pair in the right situation, hot day on the beach etc.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The croc thing is a kind of insider joke and electronically poking a particular FL member (Schitz) in the ribs. It is just this member shows jacket pictures of himself, and the most prominent part of every picture is his big feet with at least size 16 crocs. :D lol :pound:

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
You guys have lost me with the croc thing! But hey my original post was a request for pics of Tumbled brown hides and your opinion of them. Would also be nice to see how they age.

BROWN FQHH all the way.

Check out this thread - http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showthread.php?69460-vintage-fqhh&

I would recommend the brown FQHH to get more pronounced creasing that is from the jacket's fit to you - especially in the sleeves. If vintage and tumbled are different trade names for the same leather, then they are just Horween's CXL FQHH that has been softened up by rolling it in a large industrial dryer.

If your concern is break in time for the brown FQHH know that the CXL leather is packed with wax and will soften as it's heated. Place the jacket in a hot car, keeping the jacket out of direct sunlight to avoid the UV potentially changing the color - especially if you forget it in the car:D, and then put the jacket on when it's warm and do some chores in it (or calisthenics). The jacket will start creasing and breaking in right away. You can also use Butte's advice from the other thread using a dryer if the local climate isn't supporting a sun heated car. I used this technique to soften up a Highwayman and it really sped up the break in process.

You'll notice the CXL FQHH softening up just from your body heat when you put it on. It's a strange experience at first to put on a piece of armor that immediately softens up.

ps whats wrong with crocs any how?
In theory - nothing. In practice - so much.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
With triple digit heat in Texas, the temp in my garage is at least that; so, might give that a try with my brown FQHH Teamster. I am averse to using a washing machine or dryer.

thor

Call Me a Cab
In the OP by Mark: Yesterday i finalized my order with Holly for a brown FQHH Highwayman in a 36, budget tartan lining, corduroy strip along the hem and no internal pockets (as not recommended by Aero).

Why does Aero recommend NOT getting inside pockets on the Highwayman? Is it because eventually the metal snaps begin to show through and leave an indent on the FQHH?
Also, I see that many folks opt for the corduroy strip along the inside back panel (to prevent "liner droop" I presume).
Is this the optimal way to go: corduroy strip on inside back panel and no inside pockets?

Sorry to partially hijack the thread, just wondering what you highwayman gents think.

schitzo

Suspended
aero pockets are put in the facings, and that's the only way they'll do it. With thicker leathers, like FQHH and the even thicker steerhide they use, these pockets are unavoidably quite bulky and their outlines will show through; if not from the outset then certainly with time

A cord strip prevents droop and also shores up the lining in what is a 'high wear' area i.e. the part that rubs against your belt

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
The inside pocket advice applies to almost Aero jackets* - except the likes of the ANJ-3 and M422a, which were designed originally with one. The right hand pocket on my LHB shows through, but not the one on the left as it's 'hidden' behind the chest pocket. Not too bothered about it, tbh, it's part of the jacket's character now, but I've learned my lesson and wouldn't bother with them in future. My Dustbowl has no cord strip but shows no sign of droop so far, but it's still relatively young. [huh]

*ie FQHH and steerhide, don't know about goat or mid-weight etc

Last edited:

Windward

Practically Family
The inside pocket advice applies to almost Aero jackets* - except the likes of the ANJ-3 and M422a, which were designed originally with one. The right hand pocket on my LHB shows through, but not the one on the left as it's 'hidden' behind the chest pocket. Not too bothered about it, tbh, it's part of the jacket's character now, but I've learned my lesson and wouldn't bother with them in future. My Dustbowl has no cord strip but shows no sign of droop so far, but it's still relatively young. [huh]
*ie FQHH and steerhide, don't know about goat or mid-weight etc

I am wondering if it's possible to remove the inside pockets ... is it worth it?

Last edited:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I asked about it, but I'm told it's a big job (ie, probably expensive). In the end, it doesn't bother me too much: a. there's a story to why my pocket shows through the way it does, and it reflects well on the jacket's hard wearing properties; b. the more wear and tear will gather on it, and it'll gain an 'all over' patina.

Last edited:

pauleway

Practically Family
In the OP by Mark: Yesterday i finalized my order with Holly for a brown FQHH Highwayman in a 36, budget tartan lining, corduroy strip along the hem and no internal pockets (as not recommended by Aero).

Why does Aero recommend NOT getting inside pockets on the Highwayman? Is it because eventually the metal snaps begin to show through and leave an indent on the FQHH?
Also, I see that many folks opt for the corduroy strip along the inside back panel (to prevent "liner droop" I presume).
Is this the optimal way to go: corduroy strip on inside back panel and no inside pockets?

Sorry to partially hijack the thread, just wondering what you highwayman gents think.[/QUOT

Then you can have "corduroy strip droop" instead of "liner droop"!!:eusa_doh::D

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
The option that I chose was one vertical pocket without any type of closure. Thus far nothing showing thru on my Teamster, although I will likely be fertilizing the daisies before this jacket is broken in. :D

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I never snap shut either of my pockets - I barely use the right-hand one - for that very reason. They're quite deep anyway, so beyond rollercoaster rides, it's unlikely anything's going to escape from them.

Mark

Practically Family
The croc thing is a kind of insider joke and electronically poking a particular FL member (Schitz) in the ribs. It is just this
member shows jacket pictures of himself, and the most prominent part of every picture is his big feet with at least size 16 crocs. :D lol :pound:

ok i'm with you now, thanks

Mark

Practically Family

Sorry to partially hijack the thread, just wondering what you highwayman gents think.

yes, an inside pocket will eventually show through particularly if you regularly put stuff in it (not my opinion rather Holly's/Aero's) The corduroy is simply a bit lighter than a piece of leather, I requested corduroy rather than leather,

Mark

Practically Family
Thanks your comments and link much appreciated. I am likely as not going to go for regular brown. It simply seems to get the most votes from you guys. I have not seen many examples of the tumbled/vintage hide and the ones I have look fine but not quite as impressive as the regular.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Thanks your comments and link much appreciated. I am likely as not going to go for regular brown. It simply seems to get the most votes from you guys. I have not seen many examples of the tumbled/vintage hide and the ones I have look fine but not quite as impressive as the regular.

Brilliant minds think alike. :D Sometimes [huh]

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
maxraff