Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help choosing an aero, please.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
@Harris HTM Awesome. Can't wait to see that.
Yes it's really getting chilly here. I badly need some gloves (+aero jacket) for riding my bicycle. I think Scandinavia's kindly shoving some of it's frost our way over the next 6 days.

El Marro

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi Furrowson, my first Aero jacket was a Highwayman and I experienced the same fit problem that has been described here many times. I have a very similar chest to waist drop as you and a jacket that fit up top was blousy at the waist. Finally I accepted that the baggy cut did not work for me and I sold it to help fund a new Cordovan Bootlegger from Thurston Brothers.
Initially I had the same concern as you, that the Bootlegger would look too flashy and I would feel awkward or pretentious. I'm happy to say this is not been the case at all! The jacket fits beautifully without any alterations other than sleeve and back length. Every week a couple complete strangers stop me to tell me how much they like the jacket.
I have to second what Monitor wrote above, if the Bootlegger is what you really want you should buy it!
Cheers.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
Hi Furrowson, my first Aero jacket was a Highwayman and I experienced the same fit problem that has been described here many times. I have a very similar chest to waist drop as you and a jacket that fit up top was blousy at the waist. Finally I accepted that the baggy cut did not work for me and I sold it to help fund a new Cordovan Bootlegger from Thurston Brothers.
Initially I had the same concern as you, that the Bootlegger would look too flashy and I would feel awkward or pretentious. I'm happy to say this is not been the case at all! The jacket fits beautifully without any alterations other than sleeve and back length. Every week a couple complete strangers stop me to tell me how much they like the jacket.
I have to second what Monitor wrote above, if the Bootlegger is what you really want you should buy it!
Cheers.

Hey EL Maro, thanks for your input!

Congratulations on your Bootlegger and that's great that people compliment you on it. I will be sure to choose what I want now.
What exactly that is remains to be seen haha.
If I can comfortably wear a jumper/sweater with a shirt under an August, I think that'll be the one for me. The difficulty might be in turning it into a spring/autumn jacket, as it's designed for lighter leather and lining, but I'll speak to the folks at aero about that. I think battered seal HH + tweed lining might do the trick. Does anyone know how battered HH compares to regular CXL regarding durability?

Also really like the bootlegger, but it might be a bit flamboyant for me. A route 66 with modifications to the sleeves and back may also be an option. I reall like simple, versatile, timeless designs.
The bootlegger in my opinion is just such an incredible jacket. I have one in Cordo CXL steer and it's without a doubt the nicest, easiest to wear jacket I own. I like the design so much that I own two, soon to be three, similar patterns. Of all the Aero jackets I've owned over the years the Bootlegger is easily my favorite and I can say with absolute confidence, if you fancy the design, it will be yours too!

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
I'm going to have to start making some serious dosh, aren't I. Now I need an August and a Bootlegger.

Glad to hear you like it so much and the CXL steer too. So many contrasting opinions on that hide, but I love the look of it, especially brown. How was it to break in and how is it now, comfort wise? It doesn't have the crinkly look of the fqhh, which is a good thing imo.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
Great options, all of them. I'm with Tony, I really like the CXL Steer and it's pretty easy to break in, has a nice feel to it and will last for decades. I'm currently breaking in a FQHH Aero as well, (J106) and it's very nice too, just completely different in terms of feel. All comes down to personal preference. Yes, this forum will help you realize needs you never knew you had and spend money you wish you still had. :)

Edward

Bartender
My first civilian Aero was my Bootlegger, and it's great. I'd wear itg anywhere I'd wear a halfbelt, including with collar and tie. Equally as flexible. Fit-wise, the Bootlegger is a 50s HB with the overlapping front - not as neat fitting as the pre-war patterns, but neaterf than the HWM will be. If you really want to keep it simple, I'd also look at the Original 59er Highwayman, which is a bit neater than the standard HWM. If you figure out the kind of general fit you're after, whether you want an MC style or something with a collar, plain or fancy back, and such, I'd drop Holly a line and ask for recommendations - she'll know exactly how every model in the line fits. Send your measurements and they can even recommend a size.

I'm going to have to start making some serious dosh, aren't I. Now I need an August and a Bootlegger.

Glad to hear you like it so much and the CXL steer too. So many contrasting opinions on that hide, but I love the look of it, especially brown. How was it to break in and how is it now, comfort wise? It doesn't have the crinkly look of the fqhh, which is a good thing imo.
The steer is considerably faster and easier to break in. The FQHH maintains its stiffness and memory for quite a bit longer. I'd say the steer is slightly heavier as well. The bootlegger, at this point is quite soft and drapes marvelously. The HB I have pictured below is still in process, despite some rather rigorous wear. It's done in Midnight blue CXL FQHH.
IMG_6775.JPG

IMG_6825.JPG

Peter Bowden

Practically Family
I think you would love a 30's Half Belt in brown CXFQHH.It is a jacket you can wear all the time and goes well with virtually any combination of trousers and head wear.You will be smitten and start planning your next jacket!

Corsair42

One of the Regulars
Good Morning Folks,

After a lot of lurking here and looking on the aero site, I've decided to ask for some help in choosing an aero jacket.
Sorry, I know this must get asked a lot.

I want something I can wear every day for decades, except when it is really cold when I'll wear my winter coat (I live in the Netherlands BTW). I need to be able to wear a decent jumper over my shirt with it then, so nothing too tight.

I think I've seen a lot of people choosing jackets that don't really fit their body type and then making a lot of adjustments to try to make it work, with limited success. Correct me if I'm wrong. Therefore, I want to ask you in all your experience what would fit my body type.

I'm 5' 11" (180 cm), 180 lbs (82 kg), my suit jackets are 40 (short) and fit snug (maybe a bit small now). Haven't measured my waist in a long time, but I wear 32' jeans which are a little loose around the waist now. I've an athletic build, which I hope to improve upon.

Top of the list right now is probably the highwayman, for it's simplicity. Also really like the bootlegger, but it might be a bit flamboyant for me. A route 66 with modifications to the sleeves and back may also be an option. I reall like simple, versatile, timeless designs.

Oh and I'm pretty sure I want to go with tumbled CXL FQHH, but am open to other options.

Thank you for reading. Any help is much appreciated.

Cheers

Furrowson

I'm pretty much same height, chest, weight etc as you. I wanted a Highwayman that was fairly fitted rather than boxy. I was planning on getting a standard 38 tapering to a 36 at the bottom. However the 38" fit jacket aero sent me was absolutely perfect once I had cinched the straps in slightly so ordered a 38" Chest, 26.5" length and 25" sleeves and it has turned out really well. No boxiness and enough room to wear a light sweater over a shirt or t-shirt. Had I ordered it tapering at the waist or gone the cafe racer route I think it would have been far less versatile and a little too fitted. If I had gone up to a 40" Chest I think I would have suffered from having a lot of space at the waist and it wouldn't have been solved by cinching the straps. 38" in a Highwayman would probably work for you. the CXL horsehide benefitted from a few long car journeys and a spot of lounging around to break it in but was comfortable straight out of the box. I went with storm cuffs and heavyweight Lochcarron tartan and it's fine for all but really subzero temperatures.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
If I plan to layer underneath, I find myself mostly reaching for my brown FQHH Teamster that is my cold/foul weather coat rather than one of my shorter jackets that makes me feel like the Michelin Man when layered underneath with much of anything other tan a shirt. My Teamster has moleskin body shell lining and cotton drill sleeves. I suspect a LHB would work well too but like unbuttoning the bottom button on my Teamster when I am sitting. I do think your greatest challenge is proper sizing that should be resolved with a trip to the Aero factory.

Last edited:

red devil

The steer is considerably faster and easier to break in. The FQHH maintains its stiffness and memory for quite a bit longer. I'd say the steer is slightly heavier as well. The bootlegger, at this point is quite soft and drapes marvelously. The HB I have pictured below is still in process, despite some rather rigorous wear. It's done in Midnight blue CXL FQHH.
View attachment 59759
View attachment 59760

This is making me visualise a bootlegger in midnight blue... :D

Monitor, the August was the very first jacket I clicked on when I went on aero's site and totally agree it is a beaut! Still catches my eye every time. My gf shot it down immediately haha. I think she just thought the leather was too light and the back too complicated - bah!

Very recently I was facing the exact same dilemma so I asked my girlfriend to sit down and take a careful look at Aero's website to help me pick a jacket. She immediately scrolled down, completely ignoring the first few jackets which I was hoping she wouldn't do since the August was there. When I asked about it, she said that the leather is old and ugly and I realized she didn't even want to look past the leather, completely disregarding the details, style, fit, etc. And she wasn't the first person I've heard say that. I think there's something about that particular hide August on the promo stills that puts people off, and that if it was in a standard brown or cordovan FQHH, more people would be interested in that beautiful jacket.

Her favorites were Two tone Dustbowl, two tone KotR and Board Racer.

red devil

Very recently I was facing the exact same dilemma so I asked my girlfriend to sit down and take a careful look at Aero's website to help me pick a jacket. She immediately scrolled down, completely ignoring the first few jackets which I was hoping she wouldn't do since the August was there. When I asked about it, she said that the leather is old and ugly and I realized she didn't even want to look past the leather, completely disregarding the details, style, fit, etc. And she wasn't the first person I've heard say that. I think there's something about that particular hide August on the promo stills that puts people off, and that if it was in a standard brown or cordovan FQHH, more people would be interested in that beautiful jacket.

Her favorites were Two tone Dustbowl, two tone KotR and Board Racer.

That is an interesting insight!
I generally ask for her opinion upon receiving the jacket :D

Edward

Bartender
No, you can order the Sheene directly from Aero.
It's what I have done when I ordered mine.

Yip. I don't think it's on the website, but it's really just the Cafe Racer / Board Racer (can't recall which offhand!) with a shirt-collar style collar instead of the mandarin collar.

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
Yip. I don't think it's on the website, but it's really just the Cafe Racer / Board Racer (can't recall which offhand!) with a shirt-collar style collar instead of the mandarin collar.

Aero Sheene = Cafe Racer with Highwayman collar. Aero Seven= Board Racer withwith Highwayman collar.
You can order the jacket directly from Aero, done it twice.

Here are 2 examples of the Sheene.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCanL_QLh9I/?taken-by=aeroleatherclothing

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBKOYyCLhyT/?taken-by=aeroleatherclothing

kronos77

One of the Regulars
If your gut measures larger than your chest, then definitely get the Highwayman. It is a fabulous design. I have the opposite proportions so i went for the 30s Halfbelt. I do get a bit jealous of guys who can look good in the Highwayman.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
Hi everyone,

Sorry I'm quite busy these days, so I haven't had time to respond.

@ton312 Awesome jackets. Thanks for your input on the steerhide.

@Monitor that is interesting. Understandable when you think about it.

I'm really pushed for time so I'll just say I've spoken with Holly and that she said the August might be a good choice for me and to send her my measurements (proper ones), which I'll do soon. I hope she won't mind me bother her about it now, since I won't be ordering till december most likely.

I'm pretty much after a 30s Half Belt, HB deluxe, or (current favourite) August. I like the smaller collar and action back.

Anyhoo, thanks for all the help everyone. I wasn't expecting so much feedback. I'll be back soon enough.

Cheers!

F

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24