Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help choosing an aero, please.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
The steer is considerably faster and easier to break in. The FQHH maintains its stiffness and memory for quite a bit longer. I'd say the steer is slightly heavier as well. The bootlegger, at this point is quite soft and drapes marvelously. The HB I have pictured below is still in process, despite some rather rigorous wear. It's done in Midnight blue CXL FQHH.
View attachment 59759
View attachment 59760

Hey Ton, your jackets are pure beauty!
Since you own a steerhide for some time now: how does it compare to FQHH regarding wear and tear, patina, etc?

Hey Ton, your jackets are pure beauty!
Since you own a steerhide for some time now: how does it compare to FQHH regarding wear and tear, patina, etc?
Ever bit as rugged as FQHH but becomes pliable and soft in about half the time. The cordovan has developed depth of color and patina a bit faster but I think that's due to the lighter shade compared to the midnight blue.

AttyOzzy

New in Town
Very recently I was facing the exact same dilemma so I asked my girlfriend to sit down and take a careful look at Aero's website to help me pick a jacket. She immediately scrolled down, completely ignoring the first few jackets which I was hoping she wouldn't do since the August was there. When I asked about it, she said that the leather is old and ugly and I realized she didn't even want to look past the leather, completely disregarding the details, style, fit, etc. And she wasn't the first person I've heard say that. I think there's something about that particular hide August on the promo stills that puts people off, and that if it was in a standard brown or cordovan FQHH, more people would be interested in that beautiful jacket.

Her favorites were Two tone Dustbowl, two tone KotR and Board Racer.
I love how the August looks. I agree that the leather type on the Aero website for the August calls for an immediate and non-moderate reaction. I like how it looks - but when I see it I can hear Kurt Russell in my head saying, "Call me Snake."

On another note - I am getting ready to order a Cordovan Dustbowl and I couldn't be happier.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
I love how the August looks. I agree that the leather type on the Aero website for the August calls for an immediate and non-moderate reaction. I like how it looks - but when I see it I can hear Kurt Russell in my head saying, "Call me Snake."

On another note - I am getting ready to order a Cordovan Dustbowl and I couldn't be happier.
I really need to see this movie. So many references to it here. It's funny because I saw a bootlegger round here in the same battered tan and it looked amazing. I think the guy is q good photographer though. I think it could look great in battered seal, but have seen so few pics of the hide it's hard to say. Not sure it would work as well in heavy hide, especially with the action back.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
I went to Kentaurus in Cologne yesterday, thanks to @Harris HTM's advice.

It was a fruitful trip as I learned a few things about what I want, with the help of my gf.
We decided that a yokeless back and longer fit suit me better, I think due to a combination of more 'modern' fitting jeans and a long back/short legs.
Either way the best fitting short jackets I could find were still far too short and we both just felt the longer jackets were more me.
Also, I think I'll have to give Aero my arm length as anything that fit around the chest was too long in the arm, especially the Highwayman I tried in a 40.

I also decided once and for all that I definitely want mid weight leather. I know the CXL FQHH was new and would soften, but on a slim jacket it just felt so restricting. The battered brown HH on the Shackleton waistcoat they had there was my favourite, but I don't think you can order it anymore :(

I didn't get as many pics as I should and we didn't write down the sizes. The Sunburst pictured is in either a 38 or 40 and the route 66 was a 42 I believe (maybe 44). Even the slimmest, best fitting jackets I tried still stuck out a bit at the belly and lower back, but not too badly.
The dustbowl deserves an honourable mention. The quality and detail of the back doesn't come through on the catalogue pics. It works like an action back too.

So I think a Plainsman fits the bill very nicely then. I think I just need to give Holly my arm length, wait for my leather samples and all will be fine. I think the extra length might also work a bit better with my chest-waist drop, plus the Plainsman's slimmer anyway. I'm considering asking for a bi-swing back, like that you can see in the mirror of the Route 66 pic. What do you think? I want to be able to ride my bike comfortably.

Let me know your thoughts. What mid-weight leather (asides from goat) do you think is the most indestructible. I'm considering Vicenza too.

Thanks for reading

Furrowson

View media item 1075View media item 1074View media item 1073

Harris HTM

One Too Many
I went to Kentaurus in Cologne yesterday, thanks to @Harris HTM's advice.

It was a fruitful trip as I learned a few things about what I want, with the help of my gf.
We decided that a yokeless back and longer fit suit me better, I think due to a combination of more 'modern' fitting jeans and a long back/short legs.
Either way the best fitting short jackets I could find were still far too short and we both just felt the longer jackets were more me.
Also, I think I'll have to give Aero my arm length as anything that fit around the chest was too long in the arm, especially the Highwayman I tried in a 40.

I also decided once and for all that I definitely want mid weight leather. I know the CXL FQHH was new and would soften, but on a slim jacket it just felt so restricting. The battered brown HH on the Shackleton waistcoat they had there was my favourite, but I don't think you can order it anymore :(

I didn't get as many pics as I should and we didn't write down the sizes. The Sunburst pictured is in either a 38 or 40 and the route 66 was a 42 I believe (maybe 44). Even the slimmest, best fitting jackets I tried still stuck out a bit at the belly and lower back, but not too badly.
The dustbowl deserves an honourable mention. The quality and detail of the back doesn't come through on the catalogue pics. It works like an action back too.

So I think a Plainsman fits the bill very nicely then. I think I just need to give Holly my arm length, wait for my leather samples and all will be fine. I think the extra length might also work a bit better with my chest-waist drop, plus the Plainsman's slimmer anyway. I'm considering asking for a bi-swing back, like that you can see in the mirror of the Route 66 pic. What do you think? I want to be able to ride my bike comfortably.

Let me know your thoughts. What mid-weight leather (asides from goat) do you think is the most indestructible. I'm considering Vicenza too.

Thanks for reading

Furrowson

View media item 1075View media item 1074View media item 1073

I'm glad I helped!
I like the one at the 3rd picture, which one is it?
Did you feel the vicenza leather? Really different (veg tanned) than FQHH, lighter and softer but still has a nice stiffness. Being veg tanned I don't know how it will react to continuous rain (= dutch spring, summer, autumn and winter). I have a happy Days in black vicenza which is my "summer" jacket. It has seen some (rather light) rain with absolutely no problems.
When I visited Kentaurus I wanted to buy everything there.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
If I were in your shoes I would give a good, strong look to Steerhide. It's stiff but breaks in quickly, has a very nice grain and patina that develops quickly, and would also protect you very well on the bike. I also have a FQHH and it's getting nicely broken in after about 3 weeks of near constant wearing. My Steerhide Cafe Racer was broken in well in about a week.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
Thanks guys. The first and 3rd pictures are the same jacket (sunburst), if I remember correctly. I'm pretty sure it's a 30s HB with a fancy back. I quite liked it but it was too short and just didn't quite feel right. A bit tight at the top and stuck out a bit at the bottom. Stefan at kentaurus kindly said I can order a lengthened version but I think it's better just to get a longer jacket.

Great shop indeed. I'd happily spend a day and a small fortune there.

I did see some black Vicenza but I had hardly any time there so was more focused on fit. It did look very nice, but like you said the water resistance is an issue. I thought goatskin might work but I think it's also veg tanned. Sloan said his isn't at all waterproof. I saw what was allegedly a battered brown hh Shackleton and that was really nice leather but doesn't seem to be an option with aero now. Battered seal hh is front runner but not sure how good it will look in 10 years...

I like the look of this action backed plainsman http://www.thefedoralounge.com/thre...bros-official-affiliate-thread.70770/page-129
Maybe that could work in seal goat?

I still feel like the steer CXL will be too thick for me and this kind of jacket tbh but thanks for the recommendation. I ride a bicycle not motorbike so I don't need protection haha.

Cheers chaps

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
Oh and this is going to be a Christmas gift (yes I am a spoiled wee laddy) so don't want to choose costly options, so no Vicenza.

Harris HTM

One Too Many
Oh and this is going to be a Christmas gift (yes I am a spoiled wee laddy) so don't want to choose costly options, so no Vicenza.
Well, spending a couple of euros extra is imo something you shouldn't avoid. You won't remember the extra cost over a period of time. Go for what you really like.

Insomnia

One of the Regulars
The Sunburst an inch longer will fit you fine. The Dustbowl is the same pattern.

"Even the slimmest, best fitting jackets I tried still stuck out a bit at the belly and lower back, but not too badly."

You should consider the Premier Range like the Premier 1930 Half Belt or a Sheene = Cafe Racer with Highwayman collar.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BCanL_QLh9I/?taken-by=aeroleatherclothing

https://www.instagram.com/p/BBKOYyCLhyT/?taken-by=aeroleatherclothing

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/threads/new-black-vicenza-sheene-and-more.86890/

Beware that the sizes are totally different on each pattern, for example I wear a 36 Highwaymann, a 38 1950 Half Belt, a 40 1930 Half Belt even as 1930 Premier Half Belt, a size 40 Cafe Racer or Sheene and size 42 Board Racer.

For the first jacket I would choose FQHH, Steer or Vincenza.

Just my 2 cents.

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
Very recently I was facing the exact same dilemma so I asked my girlfriend to sit down and take a careful look at Aero's website to help me pick a jacket. She immediately scrolled down, completely ignoring the first few jackets which I was hoping she wouldn't do since the August was there. When I asked about it, she said that the leather is old and ugly and I realized she didn't even want to look past the leather, completely disregarding the details, style, fit, etc. And she wasn't the first person I've heard say that. I think there's something about that particular hide August on the promo stills that puts people off, and that if it was in a standard brown or cordovan FQHH, more people would be interested in that beautiful jacket.

Her favorites were Two tone Dustbowl, two tone KotR and Board Racer.

You girl has an eye for nice jackets Monitor.

Edgar Laurel

One of the Regulars
If I were you I would most most definitely go with the Bootlegger just because I think you should always choose whatever makes you happy.
The 30's HB or 30's Highwayman are two neat jackets and I would suggest them also

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
Hmm the more I look at it the more I like the look of the dustbowl. It does everything I'm looking for too: very durable and weather proof (hide depending) and looked right in heavy hide, which I know is tough and will look great for decades. I won't right off CXL steer, as when broken in and warmed up I'm sure it's very different.
The dustbowl's the same cut as the sunburst I think, so I know what I need to change to get the fit right. probably a 40 chest with shorter arms (same length as that sunburst) and a little extra length (coupled with trousers that fit).

I'm sure I'll keep changing my mind until I finally make the order, but thanks for all the input.

Regarding the bootlegger, I like it but I wouldn't say more so than others. Maybe I'd change my mind if i tried one on, but I haven't had that luxury. I'll be sure to get the one I like though. I think I'm spoiled for choice and way over thinking this tbh.

Furrowson

One of the Regulars
So I've decided to go for a 30s HB pattern, but have a bit of a problem with sizing.

The Sunburst I tried on (1st and 3rd photos above) felt a bit tight around the chest and I didn't feel like I could layer under it. That was actually a size 40", not a 38 as previously stated. 40 is also my suit jacket size and the one that Holly of Aero recommended initially.
However, in the photo from the back the fit looks good and there is already quite a bit of creasing at the shoulders.

So do I got up to a 42 in the chest (I can keep it a 40 around the waist), or will this just look too big around the shoulders/back? Is the perceived tightness around the chest maybe just because the hide is so stiff? I'll be going with an action back, in case that makes a difference.
I'm training a fair bit now so I do expect to fill out a bit more...

Also, I'll be adding 1" to the length.

Cheers

F

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24