Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help date my vintage M-422A or G-1 Experts Needed!

Bogie1943

Practically Family
So I found myself in Gettysburg and picked this up for $100.00 at an antique shop. I am not sure of the age since the tag is missing after the collar was replaced at some point. I think only the fur portion of the collar was replaced. I need some expert eyes on this one. I thought it was a good buy since it's in pretty good condition.

vintagejacket002.jpg

vintagejacket003.jpg

vintagejacket004.jpg

vintagejacket001.jpg

vintagejacket005.jpg

vintagejacket006.jpg

vintagejacket007.jpg

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
No tags anywhere??? Anything on the storm flap? There is no stencil of the letters, U.S.N. under the collar,..so I'm thinking it's a civilian model. But I could be wrong,...as is so many times the case. :p

Bogie1943

Practically Family
There is no punctured or stenciled USN marking anywhere. I'm pretty sure by the time it was named the G-1 they started with the punctured USN on the storm flap. I could be wrong about that too. I know during WWII it was the stencil. It may have been there at some time but it's long gone now on this jacket.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
What is the stitching on the back panel, below the collar..?

A repair?

The Conmar zipper would put it in the m422/55J14 era.
It looks to me, like an m422/55J14, wartime or post-war.

I've been away from flight jackets too long to observe the details with any accuracy, or meaning. One of the current flight jacket experts will pipe up soon and probably be able to tell you a lot, including the manufacturer, just by observing the construction, pocket shape, etc.

B
T

CSG

Familiar Face
The knit seems to be that which would be found on the earlier 422 jackets according to the claims of Gibson & Barnes when discussing their 422a jacket. Looks like a helluva deal one way or the other for a c-note.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
After a bit of research, I found that the little window-like pen pocket is a G-1 detail. The 55J14 also had the USN stencil at the back of the collar, but did not have the perforated wind flap. So maybe you do in fact have an early G1.The collar replacement from the top of the back panel on up would indicate an older jacket too I think.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Actually, the pen slot in the left pocket is a feature from the M-422a, which was not present on the M-422. This is THE distinguishing feature from M-422 to "A".

So it's M-422a, and up, which isn't so much help.
I'd say, with out knowing better, it's in the '40-'50 era.
Could be later, of course.
I don't really know the ins and outs of the later jackets- G-1(55-J-14 beginning 1947, I think) and G-1(7823) any more.
That sewing thing beneath the collar is strange.

B
T

Bogie1943

Practically Family
The sewing beneath the collar is from where the fur was replaced at some point as far as I can tell. Thanks for the info guys I hope there is more to come!!!!

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Martin, I can't believe you couldn't ID this jacket! :eusa_doh: Don't you remember old pal? I sold it to YOU! Then of course I sold it for you. This was the best fitting jacket I have ever owned and I haven't found another one in a 38 ever again. :mad:

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Bogie1943 said:
What dates were the AN-6552's produced within?

AN6552 jackets are also AN-J-3s. That's what the contract calls for although for some strange reason the labels don't show this. Also, the AN-J-4 jacket was also the AN-6553, and the AN-J-2 cloth jacket was the AN-6551. Only the cloth jackets had both AN numbers on the label. Ah, and to answer your question these jackets I believe were made in 1943 (Mid-war) Hope this helps.

Bogie1943

Practically Family
Indeed great information. It definitely helps to confirm my suspicions about this jacket. The jacket is in pretty good condition. Not a jacket I want to wear all the time though.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Cool. Thanks Senicko, I thought this was the case. I just picked up an older civilian knock off in about this color, so I will paint some authentic looking nose art on the back I think.

Senicko_Spain

Suspended
Maj.Nick Danger said:
Cool. Thanks Senicko, I thought this was the case. I just picked up an older civilian knock off in about this color, so I will paint some authentic looking nose art on the back I think.

Can you post pics of the jacket you just got? Maybe it's not a knock off, just curious, I have handled just about every type of M-422/G-1 around, maybe I can help.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy