Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help finding hat - small head!

johnnygriswold

New in Town
Hello everyone. This is my first post on the board, so go easy on me if I sound like a complete hat novice (which I am).

My main problem finding a good fedora (or ANY fedora for that matter) is that my head is small. There are a ton of nice hats out there, but just look silly on me once I try them on. Either the brim is not stingy enough (is that the correct lingo?), or the top of the hat is too high.

I really like the hats from Biltmore, but I can't find one with a center/front creases that also have a stingy brim. I'm looking for something about 1 1/2". Also looking for the top of the hat (not sure what that's technically called) to be not so high.

Can anyone recommend a custom hat maker?

Any others with a small head have some links to check out? (Though, I've searched the net upside and down with no luck)

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer me.

EDIT: Just did a quick measure, and my head size is 21 1/2 to 21 3/4 (depending on where I position the tape measure and how tight i place it around my head...)

MEASURE TWICE, CUT ONCE.

Hiya JG!

Your measurements work out to be:
21-1/2" is a US size 6-3/4 and in metric a 54.
21-3/4" is a US Size 6-7/8 and in metric a 55.

Actually, in a way, you are fortunate. Should you peruse EBAY, a number of vintage fedoras do come up in your size regularly and there doesn't seem to be as great a number of bidders within that range of headsize, so you have a better chance of winning than the average guy.

Good luck in your search for the stingyest of brims.

funneman

Practically Family
"I feel your pain"

I'm a size seven with a very slight build and a small face.

I too sometimes feel like my hat is wearing me as opposed to the other way around. Anything bigger than a two inch brim feels like I'm wearing antlers.

I would suggest trying a two-inch brim dobbs or stetson, Mallory or Knox, etc., from ebay. A two inch brim seems to be wide enough to still give you that fedora look without over taking your face. I gotten several 7s or under twenty-five dollars including shipping. John is right, there are tons of 6-7/8s to be had for a bargain and not very many bidders. We're blessed.

To bring the crown height down, try bashing in a C shape or teardrop crown.
That uses up a little more felt than a center bash and brings the height down
a little more.

I find that I actually have to wear a new aquistion for a while, even try a couple of different bashes before I finally shape it the way I want it.

Heck, ain't that part of the fun?

So heat up the tea kettle, get a good stiff paint brush and get to work.

Welcome aboard.

bolthead

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Welcome....

John in Covina said:
Hiya JG!

Your measurements work out to be:
21-1/2" is a US size 6-3/4 and in metric a 54.
21-3/4" is a US Size 6-7/8 and in metric a 55.

Actually, in a way, you are fortunate. Should you peruse EBAY, a number of vintage fedoras do come up in your size regularly and there doesn't seem to be as great a number of bidders within that range of headsize, so you have a better chance of winning than the average guy.

Good luck in your search for the stingyest of brims.
John is exactly right. I have a small head just like you & I started out inthe same boat as you my friend. I thought all I wanted was a Stingy Brim hat....and indeed my very 1st was a Stingy, very stingy 1 1/4" to be exact.
We are fortunate when it comes to Vintage hats & ebay with our size, and the price usually is very affordable. You might want to go there & do a few searches 1st....you may be pleasantly surprised to what you stumble upon. You can always reshape the crown differently if you don't like the way it looks, so don't worry about that. Good luck.

Tango Yankee

Call Me a Cab
Welcome, Johnny!

As others have posted, yours is a size that often turns up great bargains on wonderful hats on ebay. At least you shouldn't have the problems I've had finding hats for a family member who wears about a 6 1/2 or less!

Enjoy your hunt!
Tom

fatwoul

Practically Family
Feraud said:
They are anything but stingy brims.

Agreed, but it's much easier to remove felt than add it, right? ;)

At least with one of those hats, the quality is there, and he wouldn't get stung* by an overpriced wool stingy on eBay. At least with an Akubra of some kind, Johnny could see himself in a larger brim before deciding exactly how much to cut off.

(* See what I did there? Stung? Man, I'm hilarious.)

Pilgrim

One Too Many
I'll echo what was said earlier - in that hat size, you can find all kinds of nice vintage hats on Ebay! For instance, I have a nice vintage Silver Belly Stetson Open Road I need to sell that's about your size - I bought via Ebay but the seller was incredibly inaccurate in stating the hat's measurement. I just haven't had time to put it in the classifieds. Message me if you're interested in pictures.

MattJH

One Too Many
If I had a dollar for every time I saw a fantastic hat in 6 7/8 that I wished would fit me and eventually sold for 10-20 bucks, if anything, I would've been able to afford this open-crown in my giant 7 5/8 size. Keep your eye on eBay like everyone has suggested. Trust me!

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
Wanna trade heads?

With my 7-5/8 size I am severely handicapped in the hat department.:(
Seems all I ever see is smaller sizes. Check out your local thrift stores, chances are they will have a hat or two from time to time. I almost always seem to find stingy brims from the 50s or 60s whenever I do manage to find something, and they are smaller sizes 99 percent of the time.
Good luck with your search.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner