Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HELP!!! Is this a great deal? The horror!

*Schatzi*

Familiar Face
Okay, so I know a bit about antique/vintage furniture and am looking to furnish my next apartment with it. I found this set that a guy is selling for $75 obo. It is a matching (except for the unfortunate reupholstery job) set of a 30's of 40's couch and 2 chair set (I think 30's). If I had an apartment they would already be there. I unfortunately am not working right now so I have a storage unit already filled as I have had to temporarily move home and a very limited income. Blah. Plus, I am not sure how they smell he could be a smoker and he sounded East Indian (i don't mean anything bad by that).

They are gonna be big and heavy, they are in an apartment building and I am not sure how I would move them or if I could maybe find a friend to store them. This is the first time in a long time that I have seen vintage furniture of this period for sale on kijiji.

So, I need someone on here to tell me the reupholstry job is hideous and that they aren't worth it, I should forget about them and I'll find something better when the time comes or offer to help me move em and store em. haha :D

So, here are the pics let me know what u think. I'm supposed to go look tomorrow morning and it breaks my heart that these will probably end up trashed in someone's dorm. I trust you guys!!!

couch.jpg

chairs.jpg

both.jpg

p71towny

Familiar Face
The style is AWESOME, but the fabric on the chairs.....BLECH!! It would be at least a couple hundred to have the chairs recovered. Still, I'd snag em... with my wife's approval of course...

Gene

Practically Family
Bat your eyes and offer him $60, then truck it on over to your storage unit. That is a couch you can have for the rest of your life. You will sleep better knowing it's in your possession!

*Schatzi*

Familiar Face
Hahaha. I would in a second. I totall agree that they would be a great investment and I can always reupholster at some point. I love the batting the eyelashes idea. :) My storage unit is already packed completely full of vintage goodies. When eyeballing the unit when I was moving I figured it would be plenty of room and it was not. I could possibly sell or donate some of my cheaper less important items. I just know that that couch and chairs are gonna be pretty big and heavy. Not sure if I'll have enough room. :( I need a strong man with a big truck. :D Thanks for your help! You got the gears grinding again!

Edward

Bartender
I don't find the coverings sufficiently offensive (at least in those photos) to feel they would need reupholstered immediately.... they look serviceable, which at that price makes them a good buy IMO.

Mocheman

One of the Regulars
I would go with a friend and take a look at them before you get too excited. There may be things that need to be done to them that aren't visable in the picture. It could be cosmetic or maybe even new springs(you don't want to be sitting on the floor). Then you have to decide if you can live with them the way they are or would need to fix them. Just something to think about.

I do like them, especially the couch. I love the wood detail on the arms. Good luck!

*Schatzi*

Familiar Face
You guys are so much help. I couldn't find this much help or understanding anywhere else. :) I will definitely go by and check them out and keep you posted. They could need more work than needed. I do love the wood trim. Definitely my fave part.

I definitely need to stop looking though. I am a vintage shop-a-holic and this is not a good time. haha This one she is accepting offers on so I'm not sure what she wants for it but I emailed her too. I'm naughty. :) I may have found a friend to store for me whichever one I go with though. :)

couch2.jpg

couch1.jpg

Love the fabric on this one plus it is a full size couch. It would really nice to be psychic and know how big my apartment is going to be in a few months (with any luck).

Thanks again you fabulous Loungers!

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
The fabric on the second one is definitely closer to what you'd want on the first set, of course. Maybe someday. But especially if the first set is cheaper, I'd still urge you to jump at it.

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
http://www.1stdibs.com/furniture_item_detail.php?id=369160&cur_tab=

We've also been on the hunt for an art deco settee, and this is one item which caught our eye which struck me as similar. Considering that this suite is going for $3000-something, well...
I do second the opinion, though, that it would be a good idea to have a look up close and personal if you can - the cost for re-springing, for example, might be prohibitive, whereas just a change of fabric if all else is in good nick might not be so bad.

It's hard to see how it isn't worth what the seller is asking, so it's a safe bet that you could sell it at a considerable markup.

But then, we're always coming across deals that would work out well for somebody else. You know, that somebody else who has a truck and lots of dry storage space and the time for dealing with it all.

For what it's worth, I'm about to opt out of buying an antique automobile at what is widely considered an excellent price -- half or less than it might fetch. But I'd have to move it a long distance, and to profit from it I'd have to sell it, and I'm not in the old-car selling business. And, as my wife points out, I already have one old car that hasn't seen a public roadway in well over a decade. So for me, that other old car would be as much a liability as an asset.

Miss Golightly

Call Me a Cab
dsc_0133.jpg

From a distance it looks stunning but close up that recently added streamline upholstery job, jars with the spanish style wood carving!!!

Good point - I didn't spot that initially.

My husband and I love this guy's Art Deco furniture - but the prices! I think I would seriously need a Lotto win to afford a lot of it! Check out his stand at the Interiors Show:

http://www.niallmullenantiques.com/

Look at those beauties....................

*Schatzi*

Familiar Face
Omigosh you guys are helpful! I haven't been able to go look at it today because some things have come up but I am pretty sure I will be going tomorrow evening. He is moving by next Sunday so I'd have to have it out of there by then.

The only possible drawback (or it may be a good thing is the couch) in the first set is only a loveseat. Better for space but not a full couch. Maybe that doesn't matter.

Also, a few people have said to get the couch (in the first one). Do you think I should break up the set? I don't think I could.

I live in a city with 2 universities and I am having nightmares about this ending up wrecked in some frat house.

Binkie - you are so right. It has good bones and it is so hard to have a gorgeous set for so cheap taunting me. Haha My dad has almost agreed to let me use my truck. Where I would put it remains to be seen.

mocheman - It is so deco! I love it.

rue - The fabric on the couch is pretty okay. I just don't know how I would match art or wall colour with that crazy chair print. haha You're right I could prob live with it.

dhermann1 - I know the first set is full of potential and great style.

bunny.bgal - I am def gonna give it an up close look and maybe steal my father to come with me. You're right. If the springs are gone it prob isn't worth it to me.

tonyb - you made me feel a little better. I'm sorry you can't get your antique automobile but it just may not be meant to be. Maybe we all have an antique destiny and the pieces we're meant to end up with we do. I'd like to think that. I will apply that theory to vintage finds and handsome fellas. :)

PS The antique gods hate me. Lady of the 2nd couch (the full sized burgandy one) will give it to me for a hundred bucks. I'd have to drive an hour to get it though. How the heck would I know which one would be a better fit for a place I don't have? lol I found a similarish one recovered on etsy: http://www.etsy.com/listing/63093699/vintage-retro-couch-recovered-in-nylon?ref=af_you_favitem

Even if I resold the first set I'd feel better knowing they went to a good home. I live an hour from Toronto and similar pieces to the one I found in my city are thousands (though they are recovered).

I need a good recovery guy. It would probably cost me over $1000 to do all 3 pieces wouldn't it? Not including springs or foam if I needed it.

I am so appreciative to everyone who has replied to this thread! My one friend offered to store it for me (unfortunately he lives 2 hours out of town) but upon seeing it told me it was hideous. It's just so nice to get advice from people who get it. :)

Keep lounging Loungers and I will keep you posted on my couch, loveseat and chair adventures. :)

Last edited:

*Schatzi*

Familiar Face
So, I went and saw them today. Great set though the sofa sits a little low with a little sag in fronf. The springs are still bouncy but I think they are going....not that I really know. The bottom line comes down to that I've exhausted all my resources and can't find a place to store them. :( Now the guy is wanting to split the set up! Oh the humanity! Does he realize he's killing me. haha He wants to sell me 2 pieces because i don't have room for all 3. Truth is it'd be a stretch just to find a place to fit a chair. He is very pushy and persistent. He is moving this weekend and he's wanting them out. It is so hard to say no and he's making it harder by not accepting it! eek!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner