Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me accessorize this Outfit!

D

Deleted member 12480

Lottie said:
What a pretty dress! I'm not sure about the white shoes, though- they were my first thought too, but I'd be scared of the look being too "Doll-like". I think I'd go for nude or cream shoes or if you're feeling like heading in the candy direction- even pink or grass green.

I know your dilemma- my prom dress was pink/peach with a grey lace overlay- not my go-to colours at all, but it was sooo pretty, vintage 1950s and fit like a glove. I ended up wearing grey shoes with it, but wish I'd taken the plunge and worn red ones. Maybe I'll have the occasion to make up for that one day.. :)

Candy Pink Sounds Divine - Whilst I quite like the doll look, I think pink shoes would look amazing!

xxxx

D

Deleted member 12480

Miss 1929 said:
Silver shoes! And a silver bag if you can find one, you will wear the two again and again with many outfits both dark and light.

Of the two handbag, the second one with the bubbly texture says daytime to me. I like the beaded one much more with that dress. It is an evening gown, after all.

Ah I see what you mean - those were just from the first few that came up on Etsy. Aaah, i'm feeling all inspired! Thankyou lovelies! If I find anything I will consult you!

xxxx

D

Deleted member 12480

1119023350_main.jpg

?
xxxx

Drappa

One Too Many
I think white or cream accessories could be a bit twee and/or weddingy. I would maybe try a pale or darker blue bag, silver or pale blue shoes and perhaps even forego too much jewellery, since the dress is already quite busy and just get great haircombs and earrings.
Or maybe different shades of teal, turquoise and sea green?

http://www.asos.com/Kg-By-Kurt-Geiger/Kg-By-Kurt-Geiger-Arianna-Patent-Mid-Heel-Court-Shoe/Prod/pgeproduct.aspx?iid=1125604&cid=4172&Rf900=1565&Rf-200=3&sh=0&pge=0&pgesize=20&sort=-1&clr=Blue

http://www.etsy.com/listing/56071275/1950-vintage-purse-blue-flower-and?ref=sr_gallery_12&ga_search_query=blue+bag+50s&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_page=&order=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title

http://www.etsy.com/listing/57619962/vintage-60s-blue-beaded-evening-clutch?ref=sr_gallery_26&ga_search_query=blue+bag+50s&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_page=&order=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title

http://www.etsy.com/listing/56338268/vintage-50s-cloud-framed-purse?ref=sr_gallery_28&ga_search_query=blue+bag+50s&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_page=&order=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title

Oooh, and gloves!

http://www.etsy.com/listing/57451377/vintage-1950s-1960s-christmas-gift-set?ref=sr_gallery_24&ga_search_query=blue+evening+purse&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_page=&order=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title

http://www.etsy.com/listing/55941946/the-sapphire-clutch?ref=sr_gallery_9&ga_search_query=blue+evening+purse&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_page=2&order=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title

http://www.etsy.com/listing/57922810/vtg-powder-blue-pompadours-size-7-soles?ref=sr_gallery_28&ga_search_query=blue+shoes&ga_search_type=vintage&ga_page=6&order=&includes[0]=tags&includes[1]=title

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Irregular-Choice-Sky-Fox-Fabric/dp/B003MAQ68K/ref=sr_1_42?s=shoes&ie=UTF8&qid=1286722078&sr=1-42&searchContext=B003O6940Y,B00359F9VS,B0042389QS,B0043G1EWU,B0042L138Q,B0044TRKLA,B003O694MM,B00439R9XK,B003ZSYLD6,B0044TJOJ6,B0044TJOHI,B003O692YC,B003ZSWHHS,B003ZVYLKG,B003ZSQT2C,B0044TJLVC,B0045S3M9O,B003MAQ68K,B0042KYXI4,B003ZSWJ2G,B0031QPS52,B0031QPS0W

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Oh wow Annie, that dress is magical!
The first thing I thought when i saw it was "silver shoes!". A 50s looking silver springolator or strappy stilletto would be very Hollywood/50s dream-prom looking, though maybe not too comfortable for dancing... Also, some shoe clips might be cute at the front if you choose a fairly plain, closed-toe shoe. A cluster of pearls, ribbon to match your dress fabric, or a clear "crystal" stone. This site has some pretty ideas:
http://www.absolutelyaudrey.com/
I think the beaded bag and pearls idea sounds beautiful!

D

Deleted member 12480

Aah, those pompom pumps are absolutely amazing, and would be so fun, and comfy - providing they were wide enough. I also love the hair combs idea, especially as necklaces seem to always look frumpy with whatever i wear?! I'd really love to wear pearls though. I have a few fake pearls so i can see how it looks when the dress arrives. I also like the idea of all white - i was thinking the same thing about looking 'classic'. The tulle also goes to the floor on the dress so i would be worried about stepping on it and tearing, so those pompom flats would be brilliant.

Argh, i have so many ideas now! I think my best bet is no necklace, and emphasize my collar bones (about the only elegant thing on me!!) I'd love some beautiful earrings and am hoping to get a load of my hair lopped off soon, so they'd be more visible. I wasn't sure with the gloves, on the one hand i want cute, perfectly fitting white or blue gloves to the wrist, but it could all go horribly wrong and look too prommy... Again i reaaaallly love the pumps and also would want to wear them because everyone else will be staggering/lumbering around in too-high heels.

Ah yes - to whoever mentioned the hair combs (i'm on my phone and can't see!) could you show me some examples? And also, Ihave no idea how i would wear them.

Ah thankyou ladies, i've got so many ideas floating around now!

RodeoRose

A-List Customer
Hair combs are great; I just bought a ton of vintage bakelite ones at an antique fair, and not only are they pretty, but they really hold your hair in place. My hair's fine and slippery, so that's saying a lot!

This picture's kinda blurry/unflattering, but here's how they look:
5057813829_05255e3353.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
And out of my hair:
5058423864_b40d339746.jpg
[/url][/IMG]
You slide them in backwards with the teeth pointing towards your face instead of away, as when you're brushing it, if that makes sense.

D

Deleted member 12480

ah those are lovely! I will have to keep my eye out for some xxx

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Yes those combs are lovely.

Annie i don't wear necklaces much, aside from the obligatory pearls, or if i do i inevitable end up taking it off on my way out as i think i look too fussy. A pearl or rhinestone cuff or multiple strand bracelet could be nice and looks pretty with gloves. I think that can make as much of a statement as wearing a necklace and then you can really go to town with the earrings too without worrying about it looking too much. x

Drappa

One Too Many
I totally hear you on the necklaces ladies. I love them, mostly on other people though. I have some really great necklaces, including a few I always get compliments on, but they are the one thing that makes me feel insecure because I never feel like the fit my neckline, the rest of my outfit or my look, so I stick to bracelets and earrings, if anything.
I think gloves would be fun, especially since it is prom so you can go all out! I never had a prom (they're not really common in Germany), just a dance, and I wore satin pants because I was told I had to wear a dress and wanted to prove people wrong. If I had one now I would go all out and just have fun with it!
As for the combs, you can also look at bridal or pearl combs online, because it doesn't have to be all vintage and you can get them really cheap if you look a bit.

D

Deleted member 12480

mm lovely! I agree there - i think i'd rather go with earrings and combs than a necklace.

Do you think all the accessories should match (gloves, shoes, bag) or different?

I mean as in colour coordinating, not from the same line!

Xxx

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I think matching is great, but it can look great either way, for example silver shoes with white gloves and a silver handbag would be lovely, i like a bit of matchy-matchy with my more fifties inspired outfits, but it's not essential i don't think. Sometimes it can add interest to an outfit if the colours contrast. (She says sat here with all cream accessories on today)!!! x

D

Deleted member 12480

haha :')

So, do you think blue shoes with while gloves/bag would still be acceptable?

xxx

Drappa

One Too Many
I think you could do blue shoes and blue gloves with silver bag and jewellery/comb, silver shoes and bag with blue or white gloves, white shoes and gloves with blue bag or silver or pink, all accessories in white or silver or pastel pink or yellow, or mint ...
Basically, I think you can do whatever you want! It's your prom, so just get accessories you love and it will be great. :)

Miss sofia

One Too Many
Exactly!! There's no hard or fast rules to these things, i don't think accessories have to match to look great, blue shoes with the accessories you mentioned will no doubt look lovely. x

Miss sofia

One Too Many
OOh yes contrasting colours can be lovely. That's a good combo powder blue and burgundy reds. I have a bright orange silk dress that i wear with shocking pink shoes and jewellery and that works too!

Sorry Annie, back on track, i'm sure you will be the belle of the ball in your lovely dress, your a very pretty young lady and you have style, so just go for it and have lots of fun!

D

Deleted member 12480

Ah my heads full of possibilities, thanks ladies. I do like the contrast idea but i think i will keep it simple with the accessories because of the giant-ness of the dress!

xxxx

Lottie

Familiar Face
the other way round

hello ladies,
soory for digging out this old thread but I really need your help :(
This time, it's not an outfit but a pair of shoes that I just bought:

IMG_1037.jpg

IMG_1042.jpg

Now, I usually wear neither t-straps nor shoes with a lot of detail and haven't worn golden things in years... But I still had to have them :D
Unfortunately, I'm very unsure about what to wear with them (a 1930's dress, but what exactly..?), especially as I tend to under-accessorize.
Any tips & ideas on patterns, colours, accessories would be great...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner