Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me decide on a new hair color!

What color should my hair be?

• Natural

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Blonde

• Red

• Black

• Something else (please specify! :D )

• Total voters

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
I'm getting bored again with the color of my hair, which is its natural brown at the moment. I tried playing around with Photoshop a little (somewhat unsuccessfully) to try on a new color. This is what I've come up with:

Natural

actual.jpg

And your choices. First, blonde:

blonde.jpg

Red:

red.jpg

And black:

black.jpg

What do you think?

crwritt

One Too Many
Of all the choices, black would be the easiest to maintain, and least damaging. You could use semipermanent color.

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
Thanks! I've had all these colors at one point or another and everything in between (even a hunter green accidentally caused by an inexperienced stylist :eusa_doh: ), so that's probably why I'm feeling really torn. I think I'm kind of leaning toward the red myself, but something about blonde is intriguing.

Viola

Call Me a Cab
Well as far as the special effects go (and I'm not busting on your Photoshopping) the red also has the nicest photo-quality which could steer votes a bit. But I think the contrast of the black is very striking and would make your skin look porcelain.

With blonde would you be going with a cool white-blond like that or a warmer blond? The red looks good enough I'd be tempted to go with a warm, golden strawberry blond.

SayCici

Practically Family
I like your hair at its natural brown! Blonde and red are both hard to maintain, and I feel like the black would have a death-warmed-over effect. Maybe use a natural dye like henna to give your hair a tint, instead of dealing with harsh chemicals? Something new but not damaging. :)

Audrey Horne

Practically Family
I know you're itching for something new but I like the brown the best. Red is tricky because it fades so much and you might have to lighten if you want it really bright. Having dyed my hair black for years I wouldn't recommend that at all. You said you've had all of the colors so you know what a pain black is to get rid of. Blonde would require a lot of upkeep and it might not be as flattering as your natural color.

With that said, your hair is reasonably short so any of those colors would be doable. Go with what you love, you can always change it back.

zendy

A-List Customer
I think if you were to do anything at all, you could maybe make your natural color a little richer. Not black but maybe a deep warm brown. Maybe I'm biased, but as a person who has had EVERY color under the sun, I've always found that natural or a saturated version of one's natural color is the most flattering. maybe like this?
Untitled-1copy.jpg

MoxieGrl

Familiar Face
I like the red! Have you considered trying henna? My hair is natural pretty close to your natural shade and I have gotten pretty good red results with henna, plus its healthy for your hair and the environment, and you get to play with mud! Plus the upkeep isn't as bad, even though you'll get roots, the rest of the hair will sorta fade to almost match... not bad!

MissAmelina

A-List Customer
Just saw a pickie of you in the hairdos thread and I think the natural is so pretty. I think it is more flattering to your skin tone...with the other shades, you might have to wear a fair amount of makeup to make them work. (which I used to enjoy doing, actually).

I agree that your hair is very warm (as is mine), so I would stick with warm/honey/red/copper shades regardless of whether you go lighter or darker.

I know this is sort of off topic, but as far as dyeing with henna goes, I used it for ten years. It was a gorgeous red shade that I got lots of compliments on.
The only downside is once you henna it, you can't really do anything else as far as color/perms etc. and you have to cut the color out. It's a commitment, but I thought it was great....and inexpensive. In the sunlight it was very sparkly and glittery. It also stayed red *much* longer than regular dye, and i only had to do the roots every couple months.

Here's me with natural color and then with henna so you can see how much red it really adds. I used Colora Henna "Red Sunset." Forgive the silliness...these are the best examples I could find. :)

hair_fall_2009.jpg
hennaed.jpg

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Red would be absolutely STUNNING on you! It would make you look like Maureen O'Hara!

I could be biased by my natural colouring... But I reeeally think it'd suit you :D

The Shirt

Practically Family
http://www.taaz.com/

I know that I have posted this site before - but I thought it was helpful. I never in a million years would have thought I could go blond but after using this I took the plunge. I think it is helpful in determining what shade to go and you really can start to see the nuances of what your coloring looks best in.

I tried a couple of different photos too when I settled on a few colors/styles I liked. Mind you - nothing is very vintage.

I really like the darkest on you. I will agree though that you may have to modify how much makeup you wear. I got very washed out and needed to make sure I had enough lipcolor and blush on or I looked like death when I was that dark.

It's just haircolor - if you hate it - wait a month or so and try again. Not quite the commitment in my mind as chopping all my hair off. :p

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
I'm a big fan of Manic Panic Semi Permanant dye. If you are afraid to take the plunge w/ permanant color, try applying one of their super pigmented temporary dyes. On bleached hair, the effect is SUPER bright but over natural hair, it takes on a gorgeous hue if you use one of the reds...Infra Red is my favorite! It washes out in about four weeks...if you do it on bleached hair, the stain remains.:rage:

C-dot

Call Me a Cab
Antje said:
I love the deep red tone, but I think it would not be easy to do it right away on the collor you are now wearing

It would be a bit dark at first, yes, but after a few washes it would lighten significantly - then she could easily achieve that colour with a lighter dye.

The only problem is, once you go red, you'd better like it, or shave your head and start again! :eek:

ThesFlishThngs

One Too Many
Most red shades available wouldn't be as vivid as the sample in your photo, but you could easily get away with a variety of auburns. Even some of the 'auburn blonde' colors out there really just add a lovely red-hued shine to your hair.
Speaking as a regular brown girl who uses different reds all the time, I find them pretty low-maintenance. While it's true reds fade, they do so gradually, and blend into your natural hair more sublty than other shades. Roots aren't quite as noticeable either.

Helysoune

One of the Regulars
I'm kind of leaning towards a semi-permanent red. My mister, while in favor of the red himself, reminded me that you're not supposed to color your hair while pregnant, something that I hadn't even thought about. I'm going to run it by the doc when I'm there next week, because surely a semi-perm isn't as bad as a permanent color.

chanteuseCarey

Call Me a Cab
I also agree your natural color is very loveley and beautiful!! And hey if you are bored with it right now, soon you will be a mommy and will never be bored again! One's hair gets very lustrous and thick when pregnant.

Personally, I would NOT recommend that you color your hair in any fashion semi or otherwise when pregnant.

LisaFreemontSt

One of the Regulars
Helysoune said:
I'm kind of leaning towards a semi-permanent red. My mister, while in favor of the red himself, reminded me that you're not supposed to color your hair while pregnant, something that I hadn't even thought about. I'm going to run it by the doc when I'm there next week, because surely a semi-perm isn't as bad as a permanent color.

Of course it's up to you but I was an avid reader of FIt Pregnancy magazine when I was pregnant (all three times) and they often featured hair coloring during pregnancy in their issues. It is actually not known to be harmful at all, especially if the dye does not contain harmful chemicals like ammonia. That legend is based on a time when ammonia hair colors were the norm and straight bleach was used to lift the hair...:eek:

As for semi permanant hair dye like MP, there is absolutely no harmful chemicals in it at all. I don't see why it would be an issue.

Of course, you must do what YOU feel is safe and if you have any doubts at all, just wait until after the baby is born. :) Congratulations, girlie!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy