Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help me find a tie for this suit!!!

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Okay, I just purchased this gorgeous 1942 Double Breasted masterpiece,

and for the life of me, I know the rules about picking out a tie, I KNOW THEM! But the problem is I only have one store in Juneau that sells ties and so my purchases are mostly online. And I'm having the hardest time finding a good tie for this suit. Am I crazy?

Here's the suit,
10-325fx.jpg

and here are a few ties I like the most BUT DOES ANYONE SUGGEST ANY PLACES I HAVE NOT TRIED ONLINE?:

Screenshot2010-08-03at74242PM.png

Screenshot2010-08-03at74230PM.png

This one it is the burgundy tie I'm looking at

Screenshot2010-08-03at74145PM.png

and
allsilk_2116_3788711.jpg

I admit these are all safe bets as far as design goes, but I have always been a more traditional tie sort of person, any help is much appreciated.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Definitely something with some reds. And because of the severe geometric look of the stripes, a very wiggly irregular pattern, like a paisley or one of those real stylish late 40's ties. Go whole hog!

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Thanks guys, I had this feeling it was the stripes that really are the focus of the suit, more so than others I've seen, and you all saying period ties are the way to go helps a lot, man that was driving me nuts.

Yeah, I like the burgundy as well.

Mr Vim

One Too Many
Feraud, BK, these are excellent points, I saw some solid weave ties I feel might work. They are strong solid colors, and the weave gives them a nice texture. I've been bumming around Etsy as well, there are some great vintage ties there as well as handmade new ones.

That second photo, that matches the suit pretty well and I like the red dot tie going with it.

I have to say I'm excited for this suit, its my first real vintage suit, well that and one from the 60's that's being tailored as I speak (it's very Roger Sterling)

So thanks again, I'm going tie hunting.

You need to get a matching era tie, actually you need several of them so you can wear the suit and give a new impression with each tie you wear.

There is a Show Us Your Ties type of thread going that will give you an idea of what's out there.

I have friends that do well at thrift stores in their search but I tend to go to Ebay.

If you punch in 1940's tie you will usually get a pretty long list of stuff. Most of the people selling ties take good pictures and give good descriptions.

Even if you don't want to buy any or deal with Ebay it's a great place to "Window Shop' for a period tie.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
dhermann1 said:
Definitely something with some reds. And because of the severe geometric look of the stripes, a very wiggly irregular pattern, like a paisley or one of those real stylish late 40's ties. Go whole hog!

I'd have to agree with this, as I think I would end up with an irregular pattern to accompany stripes.

As BK has mentioned, it's hard to find a tie that doesn't go with the suit. Good luck!

Mr Vim

One Too Many
I found some nice ties on Ebay, vintage and with some great design work, eventually I may snag some of th ties I posted above, amazingly they are way more expensive then the ones I found on ebay. Go figure.

HHISIII

One of the Regulars
Thrift shops are king for ties. I walked into one and bought 5 Memphis-Milano's for $5. All of them unworn and in superb condition. Kept the 2 I liked most and sold the other three for $80 a piece on ebay.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24