Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help me with hair to go with this dress please ladies!

book_lover

Familiar Face
Hello ladies! Long time no see, hope everyone is doing well! I’ve been absent because am desperately trying to finish my PhD..... having said that, it’s my friend’s 30th at the weekend, we’re hitting the town and I want to wear this outfit... I’m not sure why I’m doing a funny squat in one pic.

25a2hwz.jpg

2nhf11h.jpg

30uu2qx.jpg

2pq2ve9.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Can you get an idea of the dress from these pics? It’s a lovely jade green colour, soft jersey, and has a swept neckline on it, with a thick band at the side of my waist with lots of self-coloured fabric buttons on it. Not sure what “period” this is from but certainly it looks vintage!

Here are the shoes I have to wear with it (I also have a clutch bag in the same range – pale gold with a diamante brooch, you can only just see it in the dress pics).......

25a2ihl.jpg

My accessories are vintage too but hard to describe – I will post a piccie later of these.

I’ll have to wear tights – flesh coloured? Also, I’d LOVE to do my hair in a style which suits the “period” of the dress, but also that can be done in say, 30 minutes. Is this doable? Many thanks in advance for any help girls!

Bookie

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Lovely dress and 70% off! Can I ask where you got it from??
I love the shoes also - they are gorgeous :)

I will let the others advise on hair styles as I'm not so great with co-ordinating hair and outfits.

Have a great time when you hit the town!

book_lover

Familiar Face
hi landgirl, thanks, it's from Monsoon. But in the sale about 6 weeks ago so you may be out of luck (I should have thought to post it at the time). It was £60 down to £15.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
It looks like she could be! Either that or she has rolled it up tightly.
You have quite long hair so I would think you should have an array of different styles you could achieve!

BegintheBeguine

My Mail is Forwarded Here
yes, flesh-colored tights.
separate your hair at the back of your head at ear level or so, horizontally. Do up the top half in a french twist, a sloppy one is okay, it will make your hair poof up on the top like Ava's. Put the rest that's hanging down in a hair net which you will bobby pin on. Your hair looks red; so is mine, I use either the blonde or the light brown hairnet since I can't find any red.
Or a snood over the whole thing. ;)

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I found a pretty good hair solution for a wedding the other weekend where I could not be bothered with curling it the night before. I sprayed it with setting lotion and used a curling iron and when i slid the hair off it, I pinned it to my head with a kirby grip and left it there for a short while until it had completely cooled. then I sprayed and took them out. I had the top rolled (optional) and pinned a flower into it (also optional!) but the bottom curls lasted pretty darn well, and it looked vintage enough (I thought!).

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Fleur De Guerre said:
I sprayed it with setting lotion and used a curling iron and when i slid the hair off it, I pinned it to my head with a kirby grip and left it there for a short while until it had completely cooled.

What setting lotion do you use. I searched high and low in Boots and Superdrug, I was beginning to think they only sell it in hairdressers!

Fleur De Guerre

Call Me a Cab
I bought a vast container of Lottabody when I in the states! Sorry that's not much help! I am not sure if you can buy it online or anything. You can buy setting lotion in Boots and S/D but it's very rubbish. Like pure alcohol and makes your hair crispy. Lottabody is good because it leaves your hair soft. I could always send you some in a little bottle to try - to see if it works for you before you try to order some from overseas. I do have loads!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
That would be great if you wouldn't mind! Shall I PM you my address?
I just did a search on e-bay and there seems to be a few different types of Lottabody, wrap and set and just standard setting lotion.

AllaboutEve

Practically Family
Try Aveda Phomollient, it's a bit pricey (about £12.00) but it is great as a setting lotion, just wash your hair, don't bother to condition, then work it through your hair. I then put mine in curlers/pins etc and leave it to dry (overnight is good if you can) and then let it down.

MEGA curls, shiny, not crispy or dull or flaky and the curls last all day and then some!!! Oh and it smells gorgeous too kind of like spicey honey!

I discovered it's setting lotion properties quite by accident and have never bothered with anything else since.......give it a try.

book_lover

Familiar Face
BegintheBeguine said:
yes, flesh-colored tights.
separate your hair at the back of your head at ear level or so, horizontally. Do up the top half in a french twist, a sloppy one is okay, it will make your hair poof up on the top like Ava's. Put the rest that's hanging down in a hair net which you will bobby pin on. Your hair looks red; so is mine, I use either the blonde or the light brown hairnet since I can't find any red.
Or a snood over the whole thing. ;)

Thank you!

My hair is brown - a sort of mid brown at the mo. I went to our local chemist and got myself a hairnet! It's a brown one (I also got an "invisible" one but it's so fine and flyaway I doubt I'd be able to do anything with it, plus, I want it to be a feature).

Any tips on getting the hair to sit right inside the net? (I think it's a bit on the roomy side)

Many thanks

Leanne

book_lover

Familiar Face
29gc0lg.jpg

is this sort of right? very rough....... but I pinned the hair under (ignore ugly but well loved sloucing clothes)

eta what an awful pic. Will have to be brave and post one of the finished result which hopefully will be much better!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner