Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help me with hair to go with this dress please ladies!

book_lover

Familiar Face
aw thanks so much Landgirl for asking, I had a fab time, my friend helped me with my hair (backcombing it a bit on top too) and it looked great (unfortunately in the photos you can see how my annoying floppy bit kept coming down at the side - will have to pin that next time). Apparently my hair got "eyed up" in one pub, and my friend Mike (who likes all things vintage but not Golden Era specifically) said "nice, wow" and things like that when he saw it - he seemed thouroughly surprised at me :D My friends all kept saying I looked nice BUT THEN I SAW THE PICTURES.

Now I don't QUITE know why I'm posting a picture (I like to humiliate myself perhaps??) but here you go. Note how I just DO NOT suit red lipstick and grey eyeshadow - my eyes are the wrong colour for it so in future I'm going to stick to colours that suit me regardless of how "authentic" they might not be...... and the dress, which I have been loving, makes me look SO washed out in these pics. Not sure if it's the camera or just need a bit of fake tan - sigh. And I KNOW I'm slimmer than this - sigh again. The dress is a UK 12 so why does it make me look so much larger in the pics?

Maybe I should just not ever LOOK at pictures after a night out!

eta excuse also the red eyes and the stamp on my hand! these are the very best pics of many - some are absolutely horrendous!

2cn8oih.jpg

2yuwqja.jpg

2hob4nr.jpg

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I love your hair!!!! and I love the dress even more now I see it complete! You are right though, you are very fair - like me so maybe a touch of fake tan would have done the trick but I wouldn't say you looked 'washed out' at all. And you look 'curvy' which is the shape of women had back in the day so don't put yourself down!

Thanks for the pics! It's great to see people on here. I think everyone should post pics of themselves on night outs - that way we can get tips on colours etc. Just a thought!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
I think you look georgous (and I adore what you did with your hair!). Don´t be so worried about looking large. i think you look great and keep in mind that it is just a snapshoot. Snapshoots rarely catch the way you really look!

book_lover

Familiar Face
thanks girls! I appreciate your thoughts, and don't feel SO bad now (although the diet re-starts today, and my Mum has just promised me an extra birthday pressie if I get to my target - 7lb in a month should be doable).

Sari your website is amazing! Maybe you can offer me some advice on how to pose for the camera? I always feel so stupid and can't hold a natural smile for all that long and end up looking silly.

Cheers girls.

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
I'd be interested in some tips also Sari, my face is far from symetrical (not that I look like the geezer from the goonies or anything!! haha) but it my nose is slighty over on one side and it makes my face look quite wonky in some photographs!

RetroModelSari

Practically Family
Ok, on your request I give out some tips. ;)

The best perspective to be photographed is when pictures are taken at least(!!!) in a distance of two meters. If the one taking the photo is going to a low angle it will give you georgous long legs (people often wonder that I´m just a 5´6 when they meet me in person). And I can never say it enough - put your stomach in and your chest out. And last but not least straighten your back.

book-lover: the position is good. You just need to lift your shoulder put chest out, stomach in.

landgirl: Feel free to send me a photo so I have an idea what you mean. I have the suspicion that your face-photos are taken from a distance of less than 2 m (cause that can really make one look weird and different).

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
Ok I am going to get my other half to take a photograph of me on Wednesday evening as we are going to see Buddy the musical so I will be wearing a nice dress! I will do as you say, at least 2 meters away and post in here!

book_lover

Familiar Face
thanks! I'll remember those tips. I mostly feel very self conscious about my mouth though - smile - with teeth, or without? [huh] and then I end up flitting between the two while the person taking the pic gets themselves sorted and look stupid in the end result!

~landgirl~

A-List Customer
book_lover said:
thanks! I'll remember those tips. I mostly feel very self conscious about my mouth though - smile - with teeth, or without? [huh] and then I end up flitting between the two while the person taking the pic gets themselves sorted and look stupid in the end result!

It depends if you have good teeth or not! If you do then I would go for the full cheesecake grin and show them off :D My mouth isn;t shaped well to show my teeth so I always look like this :eek: in photographs!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner