Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help re: British BD and US Parsons jackets repros

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hello,

I am considering the acquisition of a battledress jacket, either brown or RAF blue-grey, and/or a US Army Parsons jacket, or maybe an Ike jacket.

What modern repros would you recommend? It would seem WPG and ATF are the ones most often mentioned. I think original Ike jackets are still to be found at fair prices in small sizes, too, as are BD jackets if post war patterns.

Also, I am concerned about sizing. I am between a 36 and a 38 in casual or dress jackets, depending on the pattern. I am of slender build. I am 170 cm / 5' 6.9" tall, and with a chest measurement of 88 cm / 34.6"". So, should I get a 36 or a 38?

I have seen original BD jackets follow a different size system. I am not sure if the label info refers to actual cloth measures of to chest measures. What would be the one right for me? 9, 10 or 11?

I would wear it as casual dress with slacks, hat or cap, etc, and I would prefer snugger, as opposed to loose, fitting.

Any opinions?

pascalf

New in Town
If you want a good battledress jacket there is only one option.Go "pegasus" Steve Kiddle is a really nice chap and he makes the best BD uniforms.They are made to measure. They cost about the same as WPG or ATF but are much better quality. Go to any reenacting forum and they will all tell you the same thing.Steve has a good rep.I have three sets myself.And am very pleased with them.He makes the brown army(37 and 40 pattern BD's) and blue raf Bd's.Granted you will wait about three to four weeks to get your jacket but it is worth it.

http://www.pegasusmilitaria.com/

Torpedo

One Too Many
Hi,

Thank you Pascal. I have acquired a post-war blouse, a French army variant, which seems to be akin to the British pattern 49. I hope it fits. :rolleyes: I have bookmarked your suggested dealer, for future consideration, specially for the RAF version.

H.Johnson

One Too Many
As far as I know, there is only one easily available reproduction of the US M-1938 Field Jacket ('Parsons Jacket') and that is from At The Front. There are lots of reproductions (some good, many not so) of the later M-1941 Field Jacket.

I have a ATF M-1938 and I like it. A comparison with detailed photographs of an original Parsons jacket shows that it is accurate - not just an M-1941 with pocket flaps. The sleeves of my 36R are a half inch shorter than it says on the website but after an easy adjustment it fits me OK at 5'11" tall with a 34" 'tailor's arm'.

The material (outer and lining) are fine. The buttons are acceptable but not molded quite correctly. IMO the thing that lets the jacket down most is the zip - t's the new 'TAG-Pac' Vintage Talon. I intend to replace it (and the buttons) with NOS originals I have.

Late WW2 and early postwar RAF and British and Canadian Army battledress blouses in your size are common and cheap enough in the UK. I don't see the need to buy reproductions. 1949 pattern is a bargain - don't pay more than 15GBP for a blouse in unissued condition. A Size 9, 10 or 11 would be much too large for you, IMO. I am 5' 11" tall, 36" chest, 30" waist, 34" 'tailors' arm' and I take a size 10 comfortably.

Torpedo

One Too Many
Thanks, HJ.

I see ATF has M38 Parsons jackets in size 36. I guess that would be the size you would recommend to me?

BTW, the battledress blouse I acquired was a size 8, so, going by your detailed explanation, it will probably fit me. I will let you know when the parcel arrives here.

Regards!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran