Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help? REALLY old (?) Mallory Cravenette Bowler/Derby?

kiakayak

New in Town
Hi All-Thanks in advance. I'm never really sure if I should start a new thread or piggyback on another, but here goes. This is a thrift store find. I'd love help with determining an approximate age, and also value. I'm also not sure of the style- on ebay everybody calls everything a fedora. I believe this is a bowler or a derby? I'm also wondering if this a a "mode edge" (ribbon finished edge). I've sold my share of hats on ebay. I'm really unhappy with selling on ebay at the moment, due to the many changes that have taken place over the past year or two. I'd love suggestions as to another site that's good for selling vintage hats. Thanks again...please check out the pics. IMG_7176.JPG
IMG_7169.JPG IMG_7181.JPG IMG_7174.JPG

kiakayak

New in Town
Thanks- I have checked out that thread.

Greetings and thanks for sharing your new Mallory derby. You'll find more on Mallory in this thread. 1930s, I would guess and the value would be what you paid for it.

I didn't really find answers to the questions I have, nor did I see any similar type of hats. Still looking for info. Thanks

Your hat is a derby and it does not have a mode edge. You can list it in the classifieds here which might help you determine its resale value. Black derbies are loved by some but not by all. 7 1/4 is a nice size.

KingAndrew

A-List Customer
I believe "mode edge" was a felted edge treatment, like the celebrated Cavanagh Edge. The edges of derbies are normally bound with ribbon and curl like the ones on your hat.

kiakayak

New in Town
Thanks- never knew that. What little I know is about fedoras. On another note, this is one of the nicest liners I've ever seen, but now that I'm checking out the Mallorys, that seems to be a trend with certain of their styles and obviously during a certain era.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats