Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help Wanted: Vintage interior inspiration

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
(I don`t know where to post this thread, so if any moderators think it fits better in other sub forum, please move it.)

I have landed my first real project as an interior architect, (Huzza!), I`m in charge of the redecoration of a hairdresser salon. The owners want something vintage inspired, but distinctly modern. For inspiration, I am collecting images from the 20-30s, art deco and functionalism. Maybe even a bit of jugend.

And I know that many of you loungers love this decades, so I would like to ask you to post links or pictures you really think is outstanding. As I said, art deco, functionalism and such, maybe jugend. Interiors, household objects, cars, jewelry etc. Everything you can think of will be really appreciated!

MikeBravo

One Too Many
lots of books

Get down to your local library and grab some books and magazines.

Search on art deco, moderne, bauhaus, arts and crafts, and especially design; this will get you enough information go investigate further.

Find out about different designers e.g. Eileen Gray, Rennie Mackintosh, Eames brothers etc. Architectural Digest and similar are great, they often have retrospective articles i.e. movie star homes from 1930s issues

If you need pics, grab a cheap scanner and copy the pics onto your computer

I've been doing this lately and there is heaps of info out there. Good luck

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Thanks for the tip, but I have already done this. I was hoping for the favorite things the members might have shown me, that maybe are not the most famous . It would be nice to see something else than the usual "great classics".

Thanks anyway!

vonwotan

Practically Family
When speaking with my decorator we both referred to Karl Kemp's write up about French Art Deco on his web site, http://www.karlkemp.com/, along with some of the pieces in his shops. We also used these two photographs of interiors we both very much like. Not commercial spaces but hopefully they help.

439648664_3ab6cd3c4c_m.jpg

439648660_342244c7d6_m.jpg

We also referred to some of the interiors in my Beresford Egan prints especially for the lines of the furniture, windows/window treatments, etc.

Etienne

A-List Customer
Helen Troy said:
(I don`t know where to post this thread, so if any moderators think it fits better in other sub forum, please move it.)

I have landed my first real project as an interior architect, (Huzza!), I`m in charge of the redecoration of a hairdresser salon. The owners want something vintage inspired, but distinctly modern. For inspiration, I am collecting images from the 20-30s, art deco and functionalism. Maybe even a bit of jugend.

And I know that many of you loungers love this decades, so I would like to ask you to post links or pictures you really think is outstanding. As I said, art deco, functionalism and such, maybe jugend. Interiors, household objects, cars, jewelry etc. Everything you can think of will be really appreciated!

Hope I don't have my movies mixed up, but I think in the old film The Women there is a full-service salon that is very 40's looking. I like to see that type of visual when I'm decorating and it could be a great starting off point. Hope it helps!

cookie

I'll Lock Up
Vintage Haurdessing salon

You will need this sort of apparatus or its modern retro equivalent to give the aura:

You may need to look at the hairdessing salons in the Art Deco great hotels like the Waldorf Astoria etc

ohairas

Call Me a Cab
I always said if I had my own salon there would be pics from Louis Icart and Alphonse Mucha.. don't know if this helps you or not. You may want specific hair photos throughout that era, such as Louis Brooks, someone sporting a "faux bob".. a pic of a client getting a perm on the old electric machine?

I'm thinking the mirrors could be cut to mimmic the Chrysler Building, having other materials behind to build it out.
Big, tall, lanky statues....

A cool blue/green shade with lots of mirrored cabs and drawers like a 30's bedroom? Of course, deco sconces and lighting,
http://www.decodame.com/lighting/art_deco_wall_sconces.htm
I love Rejuvinations lighting and slip shade repros!
http://www.rejuvenation.com/houseparts/antique_lighting.html?iqg=57adb6f452b5c94eda5203e12d35c673

I'm sure you have your own plans, I'm just thining out loud!

Keep us posted please! Hmm.. just realized I'm being quite classic, which is what you were trying to stay away from.. sigh....lol!

Nikki

MAGNAVERDE

New in Town
Yes, The Women has a great beauty salon. So does The Wizard of Oz, all green & chrome. In the real world--well, sort of: it's a movie house lobby--was this space by the Great S. Charles Lee, which shows the late 1930s fascination with the baroque. All the Astaire-Rogers had great slick sets, and the one that takes place in a back-lot Venice shows the Streamlined Baroque really well, as does, I think (It's been 3O years since I saw it) Duck Soup. Dorothy Draper is the other decorator who was a big advocate of the style, and in Carleton Varney's new book on her work, he shows dozens of her amazing, over-the-top interiors, many of which featured massive outcroppings of white plaster. That stuff wwould cost a fortune to recreate today, but painted as a supergraphic en grisaille on a strongly-colored wall, the effect would be striking, not to mention of a hell of a lot cheaper.

That should be your main goal: the big gesture. Avoid ditsy little stuff scaled for a depression-era boudoir.
desk--schaslee.jpg

vonwotan

Practically Family
+1 for decodame.com. They have some wonderful pieces and much better prices than Karl Kemp...

ohairas said:
I always said if I had my own salon there would be pics from Louis Icart and Alphonse Mucha.. don't know if this helps you or not. You may want specific hair photos throughout that era, such as Louis Brooks, someone sporting a "faux bob".. a pic of a client getting a perm on the old electric machine?

I'm thinking the mirrors could be cut to mimmic the Chrysler Building, having other materials behind to build it out.
Big, tall, lanky statues....

A cool blue/green shade with lots of mirrored cabs and drawers like a 30's bedroom? Of course, deco sconces and lighting,
http://www.decodame.com/lighting/art_deco_wall_sconces.htm
I love Rejuvinations lighting and slip shade repros!
http://www.rejuvenation.com/houseparts/antique_lighting.html?iqg=57adb6f452b5c94eda5203e12d35c673

I'm sure you have your own plans, I'm just thining out loud!

Keep us posted please! Hmm.. just realized I'm being quite classic, which is what you were trying to stay away from.. sigh....lol!

Nikki

Helen Troy

A-List Customer
Thanks for all the tips! You have some wonderful ideas, pics and links. Thanks for sharing! I will show you the result, when it is done. (That will take a while.) Just don't be diapointed, the saon will not be true vintage, but a very modern place with some great vintage inspiration. (At least, that is what will happen if the client agrees.:))

Keep it coming, guys! I appreciate anything you can think of!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
apachepass