Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

help with a grey jacket

cpdv

One of the Regulars
So I just got an early 30s vintage jacket and waistcoat in a medium grey and I'm not to sure what to do for trousers for the orphan set. I realized that I in fact have no grey jackets of any vintage. All suggestions are welcome.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
Go for contrasting grey flannels. Either dark grey or very light grey. This was an acceptable and commonly used combination in the 30's.

herringbonekid

I'll Lock Up
cream / off white trousers would work too (even better if they have a grey pinstripe in them).

20spinstripe.jpg

gilli

Banned
Hey..
i suggest you to try full dark grey jacket... its cool and you would like to wear it.. dark gray shade looks appealing in contrast with any color its main benefit of it

Edward

Bartender
All of the above, plus... black, navy... maybe bottle green. Burgundy. Good, strong contrasting colours. I think I'd steer away from earthtones, though it's harder to say without seeing it.

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dark blue would also work. I tried it. It's like a reverse Blazer. I would go for a bit darker blue than in the pics but thats personal taste.
tumblr_mie56dJH4q1s4iq66o1_500.jpg

tumblr_lk1v5uLQum1qcddvlo1_500.jpg

The only important guideline ist to get some contrast. Here are black and white pictures so we don't know the exact color. But we can see the contrasting shade.
tumblr_m1v2hdQ1os1rquzmbo1_500.jpg

tumblr_lwy88fmCQn1r7od5zo1_500.jpg

tumblr_msjkofh2Zj1r5rhsmo1_500.jpg

Bonus:
tumblr_mqidotFujt1r5rhsmo1_500.jpg

PS: Edward beat me to it with the navy blue. This is really what i would do.

carldelo

One Too Many
I have dark navy windowpane that would probably work, as well as dark charcoal windowpane. Nobody mentioned black, but it would most likely be OK, especially if done in flannel.

Edward

Bartender
I have dark navy windowpane that would probably work, as well as dark charcoal windowpane. Nobody mentioned black, but it would most likely be OK, especially if done in flannel.

I mentioned black above - I agree with you that flannel would be great.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
I'd have to see the jacket fabric before recomending flannel as it doesn't work well with a lot of worsteds, particulary those with a hard finish. Texture is just as important as color in this matching business. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo