Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help With Fly Fishing Fedora ...

J.T.Marcus

Call Me a Cab
Here's the answer:

Originally Posted by Michaelshane
Strat...makes a great fishing hat...after work today.

P1040697.jpg

shortbow

Practically Family
Strat or OR. No contest. Been fly fishing in one for thirty years. In fact, I'm wearing a beat 50 year old OR right now as I get ready to head out. Today's the day for a three pound Kamloops rainbow. Chironomids are hatching like crazy. If you get stuck, and they'll fit, I have a couple of old hats you can have for the postage. Let me know. 7-71/8 ish.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I shamelessly love any opportunity to repost the picture of my granddad fishing some time in the early 1930's. Note, not only a fedora, but a white shirt and bow tie. Formal fishing.
dbhfishingabout1932ci6.jpg

"Skeet" McD

Practically Family
dhermann1 said:
I shamelessly love any opportunity to repost the picture of my granddad fishing some time in the early 1930's. Note, not only a fedora, but a white shirt and bow tie. Formal fishing.

And you just KEEP posting it....I'll be very happy to look at it any time. Great shot, and of course...he wasn't alone, nor, probably, did he think of it as "formal." Just well dressed, and showing respect for the activity itself and his fellow fishermen.

"Skeet"

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
Glad you like it. I should reduce it, it's a little over sized. You can see what a skinny little guy he was, being a former jockey. 5' 5", never more than 95 lbs his whole life. OT: Only a few years after this shot (1938) he fell off a horse while exercising it at Belmont Park. The break never healed properly and his leg was amputated in 1939. Don't let anybody kid you, horse racing is by FAR the most dangerous of all sports.

carter

I'll Lock Up
dhermann1 said:
Glad you like it. I should reduce it, it's a little over sized. You can see what a skinny little guy he was, being a former jockey. 5' 5", never more than 95 lbs his whole life. OT: Only a few years after this shot (1938) he fell off a horse while exercising it at Belmont Park. The break never healed properly and his leg was amputated in 1939. Don't let anybody kid you, horse racing is by FAR the most dangerous of all sports.
Fabulous Picture, dhermann!
Did your granddad continue to fish after his accident? Those guys were tough.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
carter said:
Fabulous Picture, dhermann!
Did your granddad continue to fish after his accident? Those guys were tough.
Yes he did. Not with waders, of course. But he always had a small boat. And my grandmother was always a good sport about it.

Chinaski

One Too Many
I'm sure Shoelessjoe already has his fly-fishing hat, but if you're going to go Akubra you probably should get the Angler. I believe it's Heritage felt with the addition of riveted vent holes. Not a bad looking hat, either.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24