Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with hat for pops!

Any of you swell gents who can give me advice will be much appreciated....

My dad looks great in a hat, and we were talking it over a bit today whilst celebrating his 61st birthday (he doesn't look his age...) and I've been thinking for a while that getting him a fedora would be a nice Christmas gift. Thing is, he doesn't look as great in a taller hat. He has a straw australian type he wears frequently - it has a wide brim, and kind of shorter crown.

Any suggestions for something in felt? And what does one call a fedora-ish lid that isn't really a fedora?

Thanks!!

Lorne

One of the Regulars
Hmmm...

You can search the net for vendors, and see what they have.

It is hard to give you advice when what you can't say what you are looking for, who long you've got till you have to have it, and how much you are willing to spend.

Lorne

adamgottschalk

A-List Customer
If a low crown is the most important aspect, the porkpie style comes immediately to mind. Usually/always a lower crown than other styles. A very simple style, and highly versatile.

rcinlv

One of the Regulars
Gifts for Pops

I spent the last several weeks trying to find the "perfect hat" for my father, and ended up with multiple hats on ebay. Separating the "wheat from the chaff", I now have 3 possibilities: a brown Stetson Whippet (excellent condition, great hat), around $60.00; a borsalino (nwt, not vintage, cashmere), around $100.00; and an absolutely exquisite Stetson 100 (not sure I can give it away- it is simply too beautiful), around $150.00. You're in the right place; clearly you are doing the right research. Consider what your budget is- if you're willing to spend $200+, buy new (Art Fawcett, Steve Delk, Camptown Hats, Aaron Hats, The Fedora Store). The folks at these places will work with you to find the hat that suits your needs, and if they cannot offer you the hat you want at the price you can pay, they will point you in the right direction. At the same time, sometimes you can find a great deal on a vintage "lid" on ebay, so despite the warnings, keep a keen eye out and maybe you can find that elusive "magic hat".

Good Luck, and Happy Hunting

RC

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
if you're looking for something that will last- i'd reccomend a fur felt hat. you'll notice the difference.
what size hat does your dad wear?

RBH

Bartender
HH....

One thing I know is that the folks here are very helpful.
The end result is you getting what you think your dad will like but the people here have great advice!
Good luck in your search
lol p.s. check out a thin ribbon hat. everyone looks great in them!!! lol

Benny Holiday

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I'd recommend an Akubra Stylemaster

The crown is generally around 4-4.5 inches high, and looks great on the many WW2 vets who march in the ANZAC Day March every year sporting them, so I know they suit gentlemen of all ages. I don't know what postage is like to the USA, but given the difference between the Aussie and American currencies, I'd say you should score a Stylemaster for around the US$100 mark.

thetankw/ahat

Familiar Face
Hamilton_Honey said:
Thanks, Guys! I'll try ebay as well. Does anyone have opinions or experience with this one from the Fedora Store? It sure looks nice to me! (He's definitely not the pork-pie type)

http://www.thefedorastore.com/Curtis-Litefelt-Low-Profile-Fedora-Hat-p/516.htm

I'd like to spend around $100 or less (preferably less, but he *is* my dad, so willing to splurge as much as I can afford :D )

thats a pretty nice hat. seems like the brim might be a bit taller than you'd like. i've had a pretty good relationship with fedora store. its where i bought all of my hats so far and they have a really good customer support program

SHARPETOYS

Call Me a Cab
Go with a nice Akubra.... I love the CEO style...I have all three colors.

ceo-cruisergrey-large.jpg

http://www.getahaton.com/proddetail.php?prod=AKCEO

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats