Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with my prom

Matt Jones

Familiar Face
Most tux shops' idea of "vintage" is a 70's powder blue bell-bottom nightmare with a ruffle shirt. You might have better luck at places that rent period-specific costumes.

Better yet, take your measurements and keep your eyes on ebay for true vintage. They always go for great prices and you'll be prepared for the next time you need to go black tie.

Matt Jones

Familiar Face
Zach R. said:
I'd be interested if anyone could provide a source for relatively inexpensive tuxedos, that are 100% wool, as well?

I don't think I can afford to spend more than 250, so I know its a stretch.

Wool tuxes can be had for under $250, but you really do get what you pay for. Quality tuxes are not cheap... unless you go vintage.

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
Bought mine at Men's Wearhouse...

Zach R. said:
I'd be interested if anyone could provide a source for relatively inexpensive tuxedos, that are 100% wool, as well? I don't think I can afford to spend more than 250, so I know its a stretch.
Been a while, but they were a designer brand and good quality, 100% wool. I generally shop at more expensive stores, but like you couldn't see spending the really big bucks on something I wear about once a year. -- ZF

Sachet

Familiar Face
Just a thought...

Zach R. said:
I'd be interested if anyone could provide a source for relatively inexpensive tuxedos, that are 100% wool, as well?

I don't think I can afford to spend more than 250, so I know its a stretch.

It might be worth calling or better yet, stopping by local thrift stores, consignment shops, even Goodwill and Salvation Army stores. Treasures are often donated and a lucky person can find something vintage of value. I have a local consignment shop like that. For me, part of the fun is in finding something interesting that someone else overlooked.

It usually takes dogged persistence, though. Or developing a rapport with someone on staff who might give you a heads up regarding what you are specifically looking for if you are willing to call after visiting.

All depends on the shop.

Good luck. :)

Zach R.

Practically Family
Well, I've been trying for about a year or so now, hitting up every thrift shop in town once or twice a week and Prom is coming up soon.

I have not the time for patience! :p

I think I'll probably just end up (gasp) renting one, as much as I'd hate to do it. But, if I can't find a decent one that'll be the route I'll take.

Mycroft

One Too Many
Zach R. said:
Well, I've been trying for about a year or so now, hitting up every thrift shop in town once or twice a week and Prom is coming up soon.

I have not the time for patience! :p

I think I'll probably just end up (gasp) renting one, as much as I'd hate to do it. But, if I can't find a decent one that'll be the route I'll take.

Yea, I am probelly renting mine and getting a sweet black fedora to go with it and a pocket watch if I get the vest type. Also, look in antique stores for cool vintage cuff links that and studs maybe they make a cool vintage touch to new tuxs.

Big Man

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Matt Jones said:
Most tux shops' idea of "vintage" is a 70's powder blue bell-bottom nightmare with a ruffle shirt...

You just described how I looked at my high school prom in 1972 (except my tux was "Carolina blue"). And just think, we thought we looked good at the time. :rolleyes:

Mr. Rover

One Too Many
I got my prom tuxedo in December. It's a size or half size too big. I'm planning on getting it altered when prom gets a little closer. I will ask the tailor to keep as much fabric possible to let out later if I need it.
It's a 1920's single breasted peaked lapeled suit. I got it for about $25 on eBay.

Ray

binkmeisterRick

A-List Customer
Ah, prom... I was lucky and got to rent a tux with tails and waistcoat which looked like I stepped out of the 20's. Since then I've actually gotten the tux from the era. If you look around and thrift shops and even some vintage clothing stores, you can still stumble upon a good bargain. But you're right, it takes a LOT of patience and looking! As Murphy's Law goes, you'll probably find one for cheap in a thrift store the week after prom.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DapperBran