Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help with WWII French Uniforms Please?

contentmentfarm

New in Town
Thank you all for your replies and input. I've ordered a couple of books to have on hand in my library. I'm beginning to feel like I can actually begin to write a coherent description of these uniforms, that is after I take better photos!

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
Zemke Fan said:
How DO you know all this stuff, man? You are THE source! (Or do you just make it all up? ;) )

I hate to butt in here, but the blouse isn't quite like a typical British issue 1949 Pattern BD blouse. It is possibly a copy of the postwar blouse, but could equally be a copy of something earlier. Remember the influence of the Ike jacket on the 1949 Pattern blouse? Les Francaises had a Modele 1945 battledress and Modele 1949. The latter was very like the British version, but I'm not sure about the former.

Here are some differences WRT the 1949 pattern (I have a 1949 pattern blouse in front of me as I type this). The topstitching around the lapels and pockets (which are smaller and more rounded) is different, and I can't see a button hole in the left lapel. In addition, there seems to be a seam or dart above the pocket, which isn't a feature of the British blouse. <added later> I've since seen photos of blouses that have such a seam.

The cut of the lapels also appears to be different, but this could be how it is 'rolled'. The rest, belt loop, buckle, pocket pleat and buttons are well 'within range' and could show that it is copied from the period.

None of this proves that it is wartime or postwar, but I'd go with BT about postwar.

Alan

Zemke Fan

Call Me a Cab
AE, you're not butting in...

You AND Martin are the fonts-o-knowledge on this stuff. I can hold my own on the USAAF uniforms and I know something about RAF, but ya'll go broader and deeper than my font-o-rama.

Cobden

Practically Family
Alan Eardley said:
I agree. I guess the lack of British or French cuff is an Americanism? I don't know about the chevrons, either. Could this be an earned rank in the American forces being carried over to FF service?

Interesting items.

BTW, Cobden, I have seen B&W pictured of FF soldiers in Africa wearing what appears to be a KD version of 44 pattern uniform (although the leggings could, of course be American which are the same pattern). Martin Brayley mentions the manufacture of KD 44 pattern kit (with and some photos) in KD & JG. You never see photos of British forces with KD 44 pattern kit. Did the FF use it, do you know?

Alan

No idea, I'm afraid. [huh]

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
Zemke Fan said:
How DO you know all this stuff, man? You are THE source! (Or do you just make it all up? ;) )

Me?
I just make it up- Alan's yer Man.

Re the term: "copy of British '49 pat. BD..."
Obvious similarities to, and apparently contemporary with '49 pat. British BD,
although the French did have another "Ike style" BD jacket but cut very short, with domed brass buttons- post WW2 too.

B
T

Alan Eardley

One Too Many
BellyTank said:
Me?
I just make it up- Alan's yer Man.

Re the term: "copy of British '49 pat. BD..."
Obvious similarities to, and apparently contemporary with '49 pat. British BD,
although the French did have another "Ike style" BD jacket but cut very short, with domed brass buttons- post WW2 too.

B
T

Nay, sir. I'm, a mere tyro compared to your good self.

What I was trying to say was that to assume a 50s date and to cite the British 1949 pattern as an inspiration to our provincial French tailor would be to assume that the 1949 pattern 'started a trend' in BD design.

In fact, I contend, the 1949 pattern was late in coming to a fashion for lapels on a BD blouse. This trend was set well beforethe end of WW2 by commisioned officers, who were allowed private purchase uniforms. Prewar, of course, officers wore PP dress uniform. During the war they began to adopt BD in better material (Barathea rather than serge) and in a better cut than 39 or 40 pattern. These often included lapels (as opposed to a shirt-style collar) and fancier pockets. Other details (belt,m buckle etc) wereo often the same as the earlier BD. You can see the influence of this style on the ETO jackets earlier than the 1949 pattern. That, I think, is what we are seeing this French BD. I suggest it could be 1945 or later.

I would love to know what French Modele 1945 BD looked like.

Alan

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
zibounou