Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Help

Slicksuit

One of the Regulars
I will try to help as much as my newbie sensibility will allow....

I was at a hat store the other day, and the clerk recommended storing fedoras upside-down in a box, with a foam ring around the brim of each hat. When storing multiple hats in a box, use an insulating layer of plastic between each hat layer. The plastic I saw him use appeared similar to food plastic-wrap, and the plastic was applied around the brim of each hat in the layer.

However, reflecting upon my knowledge regarding the storage of clothing, I'm not sure that the plastic would be good for hats in long-term storage. Natural fibers (of which wool would absolutely qualify as) tend to need to "breathe" while in storage. This rationale is drawed from the fact that suits in storage need to be hung outside of a vinyl travel zip-bag. Otherwise, the garment can develop a foul smell.

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
As for a soft felt hat like a fedora, I suggest sitting it on a shelf on its brim with the brim flipped up. If it is a hard cowboy hat you can put it away upside down to preserve the shape of the brim. The reason I put the fedora on its brim is because if left on it's crown the top becomes flat.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner