Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hemming Tuxedo Trousers

Marcus

A-List Customer
How should Tuxedo trousers be hemmed? Should there be breaks at all or straight leg? This would be for a vintage 40's tux. For some reason I want to say there shouldn't be much in the way of breaks and should be more straight-legged. Going to sport a tux for the first time in my adult life to the QM Indy Gear Summit next weekend and the trousers are too long.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
How should Tuxedo trousers be hemmed? Should there be breaks at all or straight leg? This would be for a vintage 40's tux. For some reason I want to say there shouldn't be much in the way of breaks and should be more straight-legged. Going to sport a tux for the first time in my adult life to the QM Indy Gear Summit next weekend and the trousers are too long.

A very old, very experienced tailor once told me that, since tuxedo trousers are patterned after military dress trousers, they should be hemmed with a "military (or guardsman) break". This hem has a 3/8 slant, so that the front of the trouser bottom is shorter than the back.

The "military break" was extensively used on all trousers from the 1800s to about 1910, when cuffs came into fashion. When cuffs went out of style in the 1970s, the military break returned to the scene ... on business suit trousers, slacks, and even dressy 'disco' jeans. Fact is, the military break has always been and continues to be the 'correct' standard for tuxedo trousers, despite the vagaries of fashion.

Last edited:

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
"military (or guardsman) break".
I heard one old tailor call it a West Point break. I've heard fishtail and shaped cuff as well. But mostly I've heard it referred to as a slanted cuff. However termed, I think it's the best choice for formal trousers.

dnjan

One Too Many
This hem has a 3/8 slant, so that the front of the trouser bottom is shorter than the back.

The "military break" was extensively used on all trousers from the 1800s to about 1910, when cuffs came into fashion. When cuffs went out of style in the 1970s, the military break returned to the scene ... on business suit trousers, slacks, and even dressy 'disco' jeans. Fact is, the military break has always been and continues to be the 'correct' standard for tuxedo trousers, despite the vagaries of fashion.

I have yet to run into a tailor who didn't do it that way for anything I've taken in to be hemmed.

Marc Chevalier

Gone Home
I have yet to run into a tailor who didn't do it that way for anything I've taken in to be hemmed.

Well, during World War II, when U.S. cloth restrictions effectively eliminated cuffs from new trousers, the cuffless trousers (unless they were striped formal or tuxedo) were hemmed horizontally (as if they had cuffs). And in the early '60s, when cuffless trousers legs became fashionable, they also tended to be hemmed without a "West Point break". It wasn't until the late '60s-early '70s that the slanted hem returned in force.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
What about a "West Point" or "military" break on cuffed trousers, is that ever done?
Most tailors will say it can't be done but maybe that's because it's very difficult to do. It requires some strategically placed incisions to the opening area.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot