Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hi new here. Is wearing a leather jacket basically an invitation for trouble?

I know certain jackets and stuff basically are a signal to someone that you are willing to get into trouble. Like, you're not seeking it, but trouble finds a way to you.

My personal favorite jacket I wish to buy is a leather Schott Perfecto but I feel this is too tough and if I wear it, someone will try to target me to fight (not even necessarily to steal the jacket but to test somebody)

I also remember a jacket like the wool peacoat can also be worn in a way where you are ready to physically get into an altercation. If work unbuttoned, this signals to other men you are ready to do battle.

I understand this thread seems silly but these factors are kinda keeping me from buying a leather jacket, especially the double rider style. I don't wish to get into fist fights but wish to wear for my own personal taste and style. Simple, yet classic and cool looking.

Any thoughts to this? Any credence or personal experience to what I have mentioned here? Thanks guys and girls!

Easy answer--if you're that concerned about someone starting trouble with you simply because you're wearing a leather jacket, don't wear one. Problem avoided.

That said, if you do decide to get one, above all else do NOT decorate it as if you were a member of a motor club (a.k.a. "biker gang"). Just wear it as-is and be happy.

AHP91

Practically Family
There are couple active threads dedicated just to caps, including What Cap Are You Wearing Today. Come on in, the water's fine!

I'm partial to committing fashion crimes and drinking an Old Fashioned:
View attachment 565545

(The hat was a Christmas gift from my in-laws last year, knowing I collect hats. They missed the mark, but it's the thought that counts. I still wear it whenever we go to visit them.)
I wish, but my current taste is only for absolute monstrosities
Picture 2 of 8

I think if I posted this one in the Fedora side they would spit their coffees out. Although I did recently see Oppenheimer, and by golly that main actor can rock the hell out of that cap

Peacoat

Bartender
Wish you hadn't posted the link. Once I saw it I had to take a look. What a waste of time. The troubles started at the end of page two, I think it was, and I let it go on for 18 pages until I put an end to it.

The OP was quite a prolific poster, going into excruciating detail on every response. What no one knows is that he was the same way in his PMs to me. I was buried in an avalanche of text in PMs.

Unfortunately, the pictures of the jacket in question have been removed, and new members have no idea of what was being discussed. He wanted to recreate a jacket 3 sizes too big with the shoulder seams 4" off the shoulders and down the biceps with the hands being mostly obscured by the too long sleeves. It didn't go over well here, but he wouldn't give up. Those were not good times.

Edward

Bartender
The only trouble I envision is having a good comeback to the question: "Where is your bike"?

Heh. Weirdly, that's one I've never been asked... but then the traditional, collar cross-zip was never something you saw being worn on a motorcycle round my way until relatively recently (and then only by the occasional very much retro minded soul). In my experience they were much more associated with an interested in other, fashion subcultures - punk, metal, the rest. I had to start wearing an Irvin before getting that sort of "where's you're Spitfire?" comment. Funny old world.

Not a problem at all. The bigger issue would be if you wore a motorcycle vest aka a kutte with a symbol or logo on it. That can get you beat up or much worse. A plain leather jacket, even if it's a motorcycle jacket is not even slightly an issue.

I see motorcycle club members, including outlaw club members where I am and you basically don't see them wearing full leather jackets anyway. Their vests/kuttes are the important thing. So you're fine with any plain leather jacket no matter the type.

Mn. Decor not a problem, but anything that looks like a three-patch club setup really is asking for it, whether they think you're in another club on their patch, or they realise it's fictional and think you're taking the proverbial.

Yeah I've mentioned before that some of the Japanese repros that have gang colors (even fictional) painted or embroidered on them are not a good idea for customers outside of Japan.

Yeah. The guys who made Sons of Anarchy (fun show, if highly unrealistic) actually sought the 'ok' from some of the big MCs to use a three-piece 1%er style colours set, even fictional. Used consultants on the show (a number of prominent Angels were directly involved; Sonny Barger had a cameo, and one of the regular SoA players was actually an active Angel). It's worth noting that all the *official* merchandise from the show has a top rocker only, never a territory-claiming bottom rocker.

There are couple active threads dedicated just to caps, including What Cap Are You Wearing Today. Come on in, the water's fine!

Yes indeed! We always encourage forumites to explore more widely what's on offer here. It'd be great to see more postings with great, vintage & vintage repop MC caps.

I'm partial to committing fashion crimes and drinking an Old Fashioned:
View attachment 565545

(The hat was a Christmas gift from my in-laws last year, knowing I collect hats. They missed the mark, but it's the thought that counts. I still wear it whenever we go to visit them.)

Which is a very classy and considerate response. Kudos to you for that.
Why does this thread remind me of that thread on the oversize jacket (X–Files?) that refused to die?

1701535284285.png

I recommend crocs (color matched of course) so no one thinks you're trying to act hard in your jacket.

Oh hell, PLEASE don't summon *that* one!

Wish you hadn't posted the link. Once I saw it I had to take a look. What a waste of time. The troubles started at the end of page two, I think it was, and I let it go on for 18 pages until I put an end to it.

The OP was quite a prolific poster, going into excruciating detail on every response. What no one knows is that he was the same way in his PMs to me. I was buried in an avalanche of text in PMs.

Unfortunately, the pictures of the jacket in question have been removed, and new members have no idea of what was being discussed. He wanted to recreate a jacket 3 sizes too big with the shoulder seams 4" off the shoulders and down the biceps with the hands being mostly obscured by the too long sleeves. It didn't go over well here, but he wouldn't give up. Those were not good times.

It was... an unfortunate situation. I often wish the button that allows us to move threads to a more appropriate part of this site could also let us move stuff to another, more appropriate forum entirely, like StyleForum or whatever.

ChewingWax

One of the Regulars

Sorry

Y'know, regardless whether that jacket warrants its existence, I am to this day extremely proud of how it ultimately turned out.

I worked for weeks with Zangy on that damn thing & God almighty, you people have no idea how difficult he was to deal with, primarily because he was clueless about leather jackets & more often than not didn't want to listen but also... I don't know, he must've had an OCD of some kind which made him obsess over microscopic details he didn't seem to be able to ignore, but it was for that reason that I learned a ton about jacket making & I'm grateful for it.

I was shocked how well the 5* repro'd the jacket, which wouldn't have ever happened if we didn't put that much work into it.

55bbb931-e94a-4ba5-8e97-ee43b66a0a63-jpeg.406150

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Y'know, regardless whether that jacket warrants its existence, I am to this day extremely proud of how it ultimately turned out.

I worked for weeks with Zangy on that damn thing & God almighty, you people have no idea how difficult he was to deal with, primarily because he was clueless about leather jackets & more often than not didn't want to listen but also... I don't know, he must've had an OCD of some kind which made him obsess over microscopic details he didn't seem to be able to ignore, but it was for that reason that I learned a ton about jacket making & I'm grateful for it.

I was shocked how well the 5* repro'd the jacket, which wouldn't have ever happened if we didn't put that much work into it.

Nice sleeve curve on this 5*.

AbbaDatDeHat

I'll Lock Up
@Monitor I know how difficult he was to work with. You are to be commended in sticking with it. He was most complimentary of you.

I miss the Joan avatars. In my opinion, the first was the best.
Yea but…the “Z”man is still around but with a new name i believe??
And i agree…Joan was the avatar of avatars!
B

Aloysius

My Mail is Forwarded Here

By far the strangest part of it to me was when his go-to comeback to everything was that we were fashion chasers who wanted to wear "insert designer none of us had heard of" who makes everything tight fit. Meanwhile the actual fashion trend for a few years now has been 90s revival like he's looking for...

Fonzie

One Too Many
It's OK. If I really didn't want it posted, I could have deleted it.
Alright, I went through it. :eek:

The patience and willingness to help of some members here is commendable and mind blowing at the same time, and a credit to this nice corner of the interwebs.

That said, that 19-page long thread was entirely 18 pages too long. I feel uneasy, borderline queasy.

Nykwil

One of the Regulars

You were extremely patient and helpful in that thread. I’d have lost my sh*t having to hand hold that guy through a process I feel we all have gone through, of thinking a specific certain way and ignoring everyone’s solid advice about it only to be surprised the choice I wanted was a huge mistake. Sometimes you just have to make that mistake. That guy took 18 pages and many months to realize it.

You were the hero Zangy needed, but not the one TFL deserved. Our Dark Knight.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
akubraacornfawn