Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

High end Cuenca or low end Montecristi?

PRW94

New in Town
I know there are a lot of Panama threads here, but my question here's a bit more pointed and aimed so I'm tossing it out separately. I did email Panama Bob with this question, FYI, but haven't heard back from him yet.

I've put the Stetson fur fedora I got for Christmas away for the summer. "She who must be obeyed" and the kids have said I can have a Panama fedora for Father's Day for summer wear.

I've got $200, maybe $225 tops to spend on this. I could "wait until I have enough to get something better," but I'm not inclined to, I want something now and will deal with getting something better down the road.

Low-end Montecristi (my budget will get me 12 or 16 weaves per inch) or high-end Cuenca (my budget will get me up to a Grade 20 llana, I like that weave better than brisa, on Panama Bob's site)?

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Hi

I used to live in Decatur AL years ago. The humidity and use can really wear down a straw hat. In addition, when you set on a straw hat, you probably total it out. When you set on a fur felt hat, not so much. I would suggest not blowing more than $100 on your first straw hat. The chances are reasonable that you won't feel that the first one you order is exactly what you WANTED, even if it IS exactly what you ORDERED. For example, I bought my first straw hat at a hat store, and even though I tried it on first, I wish it had a higher crown and a slightly wider brim.

Just my $0.02. I THINK Panama Bob is busy and if you want something you should just call and order it from him. You can ask questions while you have him on the phone. I haven't worked with Bob yet, so that's given with a few grains of salt. From what is said here, Bob's hats are the best quality to price ratio.

mark9765

New in Town
I have a fino Montecriste second with a 2.5" brim that I ordered from panamahatsdirect,com. It is a nice hat but it is hard to keep its shape in Alabama humidity. I recently got a Darwin Panama from davidmorgan.com for $120. It has become my favorite summer straw hat.

PRW94

New in Town
Hi

I used to live in Decatur AL years ago. The humidity and use can really wear down a straw hat. In addition, when you set on a straw hat, you probably total it out. When you set on a fur felt hat, not so much. I would suggest not blowing more than $100 on your first straw hat. The chances are reasonable that you won't feel that the first one you order is exactly what you WANTED, even if it IS exactly what you ORDERED. For example, I bought my first straw hat at a hat store, and even though I tried it on first, I wish it had a higher crown and a slightly wider brim.

Just my $0.02. I THINK Panama Bob is busy and if you want something you should just call and order it from him. You can ask questions while you have him on the phone. I haven't worked with Bob yet, so that's given with a few grains of salt. From what is said here, Bob's hats are the best quality to price ratio.

Thanks, and I'm not too far away from where you used to live so I'd be dealing with the same humidity issues (air outside right now is like syrup, LOL!). I emailed Bob, FYI, because on his site it said "email is better," I'm sure he probably is busy and will get back to me whenever he has a chance, I'll give him a call if he doesn't. I basically just wanted a little more detailed info on some of his styles, as the angles of the pix on his site were a bit difficult for me to get a line on (was looking at Cuencano and Havana in Cuenca; Cuencano, Havana, Bogey and Classic in Montecristi). I was basically looking for which ones are on the order of my felt fedora, which has a 2 5/8-brim and a 4-inch crown and is dead perfect for me stylistically (can't do smaller because my head is so freaking big; don't want much bigger). And I was wondering about running true to size and shrinkage on straw (as I posted about my felt fedora, I ordered a 7 3/4 and it actually was a bit big but I used sizing tape and didn't send it back for a 7 5/8 because the inevitable shrinkage probably will dial it in just right, where a 7 5/8 would shrink to unwearability).

PRW94

New in Town
Adding onto this, I wonder if given the humidity of the environment I live in, I ought to even be thinking about a high-end straw hat, unless Montecristi hats are more durable along those lines than Cuenca.

job

One Too Many
I have always liked a more open weave hat. I can appreciate a fine weave hat but no air can pass through.

You might consider the best brisa weave for a first straw and go for a finer weave on a second that can be worn on those days that aren't so hot.

PRW94

New in Town
Went with Tom Gomez to make my first Panama, and it's gorgeous, posted the pix he sent me on the Gomez Grotto thread.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo