Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highwayman Owners...what's the consenus on the Storm Cuffs

nicholasb

One of the Regulars
I have to agree that I don't notice them much. My current Highwayman has them but my previous one didn't. They provide a little more warmth when very cold. If in any doubt don't bother with them but they really won't bother you unless you have a really chunky watch or.... incredibly sensitive wrists maybe.

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I think I've decided to go without, just because from the sound if it they'll get in the way of other sleeves when layerying

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
My earlier HWM had sleeves, and my current one doesn't. I much prefer no storm cuffs.

coloradorider

One of the Regulars
My earlier HWM had sleeves, and my current one doesn't. I much prefer no storm cuffs.

Is that a Highwayman vest or no zip-sleeves?

I prefer no storm cuffs. I have a Langlitz with gusseted zip sleeves and really like them. With the zippers open it feels like an ordinary sleeve.

wg_columbia_s.jpg

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I hate jackets with knits. Whole point of the Highwayman is to get away from them in my view. But if you live somewhere really cold and windy you have an excuse.

Fanch

I'll Lock Up
Is that a Highwayman vest or no zip-sleeves?

I prefer no storm cuffs. I have a Langlitz with gusseted zip sleeves and really like them. With the zippers open it feels like an ordinary sleeve.

View attachment 2595

Standard Aero Highwayman with regular open/barrel sleeves. With zip sleeves, there would be no need for storm cuffs under any circumstance.

schitzo

Suspended
I think I've decided to go without, just because from the sound if it they'll get in the way of other sleeves when layerying

I suggest you should carefully consider zip sleeves. I think they're awesome, and the zip-sleeves on my roadster are the best sleeves I've ever had!

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I suggest you should carefully consider zip sleeves. I think they're awesome, and the zip-sleeves on my roadster are the best sleeves I've ever had!

I thought about that. Maybe I'll go that route. I like the design of their regular sleeve though.

I can't stand storm cuffs, sans one jacket: an RRL "Navy Deck Jacket" look-alike. I do wear big waches and heavy shirts in the fall/winter and storm cuffs are a PITA to me. Just my personal feelings. I have nothing against them in theory ;)

rocketeer

Call Me a Cab
To me they are a bit like wearing an A2 so I dont really notice them though on the Highwayman and Barnstormer they appear to be of a thicker material than the A2. Though I like them, and they do keep drafts out, probably like ButteMT they do tend to snag on a watch, particularly the winder. I dont think I own a single jacket with a wool cuff that has not had the knit catch and run.
J

Edward

Bartender
I have them on mine. I like them - as others have said, they keep the draft out when there's a breeze, and they're another little feature that just gives it that bit of difference compared to my other jackets.

I have them on mine. I like them - as others have said, they keep the draft out when there's a breeze, and they're another little feature that just gives it that bit of difference compared to my other jackets.

+1

Gromulus

Practically Family
I have them on my Highwayman (bought used) and hate them. IMO they just get in the way. The only jacket I have and like them on is my ANJ-4; fitting for a cold-weather jacket.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
There is a thread somewhere here where a member removed the storm cuffs. Looked to be a very simple undertaking.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up

+3.

I have them on my Barnstormer and was initially dubious but I've grown to like the things. They're perfect at keeping out drafts and with our imminent move to the Arctic in the next couple of months, I think they'll be even more appreciated.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy