Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Highwayman Owners...what's the consenus on the Storm Cuffs

Cyber Lip

Practically Family
I'm going to get one for colder weather wear. Debating the cuffs. Do you guys that wear them in the winter love or hate the cuffs?

apba1166

A-List Customer
I thought they were a nuisance at first, having never had them before. But grew to like them. Although when I finally got an LW jacket with them, I realized how good they could really be, or else how much I had become accustomed to them. And yes, I think they do add warmth.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I dont really know what the problem is with them. I have them on 2 jackets now and I don't see a problem....

Plumbline

One Too Many
some like them ... some ( like me) don't

unless I'm wearing short sleeves all the time .... I find them a pain :( ... so I don't get them now and I don't miss them TBH.

Edward

Bartender
Got them on my Highwayman. Never understood the hostility to 'em in some quarters, when they're really only an "innie" version of an A2s cuffs. Mine's not a jacket I wear in dead of Winter, but a Spring / Autumn affair. They keep out the breeze / chills at night, and I like how they feel. If I wanted a HWN for warmer weather, though, I'd probably go goat and no storm cuffs. All depends what conditions you'll want to be wearing it in.

Dav

One Too Many
I've got them on my HWM and I can't say I really notice them at all, I think they do add a bit of extra warmth when I'm out with the dog on a windy day, but that's about it. I don't wear a watch though, so I may have a different opinion if I did.

scrawlysteve

One of the Regulars
I have them in my Barnstormer--which I wear as a winter coat ( start of Sept to end of May here in UK ) and I tolerate them for the slight difference they make--though since I'm often also wearing gloves that minor difference is not really that noticeable.....during the week or two of what we call "The Summer" I wear my Highwayman or if it should rise impressively, say above 18 degrees, my goatskin 30s half-belt....neither of these has storm cuffs and since I wear a watch I much prefer not having them.... considering doing a Lenny on the Barnstormer.
Steve.

HorseHide

One of the Regulars
Hate 'em. For me, the few times they might provide some added warmth are outweighed by the everpresent annoyance they cause. One note, if you plan to ride in the Highwayman they will stop the wind (IMHO a Highwayman isn't the best jacket to ride in for a host of other reasons).

Now that Scrawlysteve has coined a new term, I too may "do a Lenny" :)

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I've always found them a handy addition to my LHB, and I can't say I've ever found myself thinking 'damn these storm cuffs'. [huh]

tonypaj

Practically Family
As an earlier poster noted....they are basically the same as A2 cuffs. If you don't mind A2 cuffs, I suspect you won't mind storm cuffs.
If you don't like them, you won't.

Then again, I have an A-1, A-2, G-1, all with knits. No problem. I have also two Highwayman jackets, both without knits. I hate them in those, they just feel wrong.

armscye

One of the Regulars
Oddly enough, I find I agree with all of the negative posts here,. but none of the positives. The storm cuffs in my Highwayman are MUCH tighter than some A2 knits, and therefore bind uncomfortably. They are too snug if I'm wearing a dive type or other chunky watch. And they ride up-- a half hour after you tug your sleeves down to the wrist they've ridden up two inches.

winterland1

Practically Family
Sounds like about a 50/50 split on cuffs or not. Don't see that on FL real often. I would say either way you will still be happy you have a nice highwayman.

Worf

I'll Lock Up
I've an Aero LHB with em and a Canadian Barnstormer of indeterminate lineage with stom cuffs as well. I like them. I take a daily 2 mile walk... rain, shine, sleet or snow, them cuffs (when combined with the right gloves) have kept my wrists and arms quite comfortable. I like em.

Worf

Peacoat

Bartender
I have had no problems with the storm cuffs on my Highwayman. Never even notice they are there, unless I am riding my motorcycle in cool weather, then I notice them because of the lack of cold air creeping into the jacket.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy