Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hiking boots, ergonomics, weight etc

regius

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I want to start a new thread on the design of outdoor/hiking boots. Whenever I shop for hiking boots, all that pop up are those high tech, multi-fabric, basketball shoes-like boots. I have no doubt that the designs of hiking boots has been advancing and there was much room for designers and engineers to improve the comfort and utility of hiking boots, while work boots has mainly been in need for a one or two dimensional improvement, safety/durability. The result is like modern cars, getting more and more high tech and contours and curves and materials.

I am after a vintage/traditional looking hiking boots, however.

I would like to know if historical work boots makers like Red Wings, Wesco, Whites make any good hiking boots that are as ergonomic as the high tech brands, but uses solid leather and workboots manufacturing techniques and workboots styling.

Specifically, I think hiking boots should make you feel wanting to walk forward and supports your long duration moving along uneven terrains. It may use high friction sole material and certainly involves prominent lugs. The heel should hug well so that when ascending a hilly slope, it won't abrade the skin, similarly, the ankle should bend well to facilitate incline. The weight may not have to be light, as long as the engineering of the arch and sole facilitates "bouncing".

Just some thoughts.

Carlos840

I'll Lock Up
It depends what you want them for. If you are talking trails and paths for a few hours, you might be able to get away with modern basketball lik eshoes. If you are talking multiple days in rocks with weight on your back, you will want your feet wrapped in leather!
I did the GR 20 a few years ago, walking from one tip of Corsica to the other, through the mountains and all, and i used some Meindle class A/B boots. They were great and never let me down, even though the 100 mile trip wore the soles quite a bit, they can be re soled.
I did see a few guys with ripped soles and really unhappy feet. Some places can be very hard on boots and nothing other than leather will do. (unless you start talking arctic conditions, then give me all the space age materials...)

The boots i have are kind of like these:

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0320/3401/products/meindl-woodwalker-mfs-05_large.jpg?v=1398207115

They do have a layer of expanding heat sensitive foam in the inside, and gore-Tex linning.

01flhr

One of the Regulars
I had a pair of meindles that i outgrew. they were a great boot. its my understanding though that not everyone can fit in their boots because of their distinct shape. danner makes some really nice looking hikers, but i cant recomend them because ive never tried them.

regius

The White's smoke jumpers have that "dogger" heel, and a distinct arched arch, it creates the signature White's feel, but I have almost sprained my ankles a few times in my Whites engineers, so not sure about the stability, especially walking on uneven ground with gravels.

BobJ

Practically Family
These:

BKUSA.jpg

LINK: http://www.backcountry.com/merrell-wilderness-backpacking-boot-mens

OceanBreeze

One of the Regulars
I want to start a new thread on the design of outdoor/hiking boots. Whenever I shop for hiking boots, all that pop up are those high tech, multi-fabric, basketball shoes-like boots. I have no doubt that the designs of hiking boots has been advancing and there was much room for designers and engineers to improve the comfort and utility of hiking boots, while work boots has mainly been in need for a one or two dimensional improvement, safety/durability. The result is like modern cars, getting more and more high tech and contours and curves and materials.

I am after a vintage/traditional looking hiking boots, however.

I would like to know if historical work boots makers like Red Wings, Wesco, Whites make any good hiking boots that are as ergonomic as the high tech brands, but uses solid leather and workboots manufacturing techniques and workboots styling.

Specifically, I think hiking boots should make you feel wanting to walk forward and supports your long duration moving along uneven terrains. It may use high friction sole material and certainly involves prominent lugs. The heel should hug well so that when ascending a hilly slope, it won't abrade the skin, similarly, the ankle should bend well to facilitate incline. The weight may not have to be light, as long as the engineering of the arch and sole facilitates "bouncing".

Just some thoughts.

Check out Danner hiking boots. I have a pair of the Danner mountain pass which are like hybrid hike/casual boots.

Otter

One Too Many
Brasher Hillmaster GTX's could be what you are after. I retired my old boots this year and replaced them with these. A wider fitting than a lot of continental boots, pretty much comfy out the box. Quite warm for summer walking but very good support. Check out the reviews on them.

regius

So nobody has yet recommended the White's smoke jumper.... or any other brand's packer/hunting/work style boots as suitable for hiking. Hmm.....

Funny you bring this up. I recently got two pairs - well, I have one and the others are ordered.
The first pair (way cheaper on Amazon) are Woolrich "Eagle" boots. Great for lighter weight hikes and local stuff which we do often now.
The second pair, an insanely (for my idea of hiking boots) expensive pair of Vibergs. I opted for "rough out" as they tend (in my experiences) to hold the "Sno Seal" or equivalent better than a smooth leather.
These will be used for some pretty legit hiking trips, and from what I read, can be used as a daily wearer/work boot.

Screen Shot 14.png
Hiker_Mocha_RO1_1024x.jpg

http://www.woolrich.com/woolrich/details/men-s-eagle-boot/_/R-PM3305

https://viberg.com/products/hiker-mocha-oil-tan-roughout?variant=554291273

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
How about the White's hathon jumper?

So nobody has yet recommended the White's smoke jumper.... or any other brand's packer/hunting/work style boots as suitable for hiking. Hmm.....

So I have both of these pairs next to me here. I also have a pair of Nick's that are nearly identical. The *New* pair of White's Smoke Jumpers are 10" tall, rest are 8" tall. I've owned the Nick's the longest, about 8 months.

On the positive side these are some of the most indistructable boots I've owned, which also includes Red Wings, Chippewa's, Merrils and Danners. They also have the most supportive arch, and a very comfortable full leather-lined interior. Nice selection of Vibram soles and are fully hand-lasted, which is almost unheard of these days.

That said, I would not consider any serious hiking in these boots past a few miles. They are all simply Too Heavy. These boots all use 7-8 oz leathers for construction. My leather-lined White's Packers weigh in over 9 lbs for the pair! Even the Smoke Jumpers, at 10" tall but no second liner weigh right about 8.0 lbs. You will quickly tire out with these on all day in the wilderness. Thier Hawthorne Boots ranges (which are machine lasted) use thinner leathers, 6 - 6.5 oz, so are a bit lighter. And as much as I love these traditional leather boots, to undertake a backpacking trip without Gore-Tex in your boots (and good silk/poly liners and wool socks) is simply unwise. Lightness, great arch support, and waterproofing matters greatly in the wilderness, especially on multi-day backpacking trips through bogs, rivers, rain, mud and snow.

So for this application, I would greatly encourage you to look at the more modern options. Save the nice old-school leather boots for other duties. Others may disagree however it's the experance I've had. Good luck deciding!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
hikingbots.jpg
I don't do much hiking that explains the lacing, but it is quite comfortable lined with breathable fabrics, cowhide all around... locally made quite cheap here in my country.

wdw

One Too Many
I'm guessing the OP's going for statement boots rather than sensible hiking ones.

Many years ago the first really good hiking boots I bought (after starting with cheap rubbish) were the old-fashioned Schweizer Gletcherstiefel, made in Switzerland or Germany, with ridiculously stiff leather and I think triple stitched soles. I was working in the Alps at the time.

They looked absolutely great, top of the range, but were ridiculously OTT for anything less than 3,000m or ice.

After many iterations since then, I now use simple fabric trail shoes, even for long distance trails up to 3,000m. I'd never go back to heavy boots, except when needing crampons, and even then use rollaway crampons and soft boots whenever possible.

My Wesco Jobmasters are of the same family as the Gletscherstiefel, but I'd never dream of hiking in them due to the weight and the fact that it's not their main purpose.

Last edited:

Rudie

Call Me a Cab
I read a blog comment where someone said his William Lennon Field Boots were the best hiking boots he ever had, outperforming his twice as expensive Meindl boots.They also have their Hill Boots with lots of toe spring for hiking in the mountains and you can have all boots either with hobnailed leather soles or with Vibram soles. Their website isn't impressive but their Facebook page give a better idea what they can make.

wdw

One Too Many
@Rudie, I have two pairs of Lennon's with vibram soles and wouldn't dream of hiking in them. They're just big, clumpy boots, and the world has moved on.

IMHO, it's a bit like the occasionally resurfacing Ventile debates. What was once state of the art decades ago has been overtaken by modern, lighter, more effective materials and designs.

If people want to go for a retro hiking look, then clumpy and heavy is where it's at, no doubt about it.

I actually like that look, and have many pictures of me looking rugged and manly in huge boots and knee breeches from the 1980s. I wouldn't go back there, but I understand the charm and interest.

AeroFan_07

I'll Lock Up
So White's do offer a waterproof Packer model,
Lace-To-Toe Dri-Foot - Outdoorsman by White's
However they will be no lighter.

regius

Thanks everybody. All come back to weight, just as the title said... I guess I have to stop romanticizing the vintage hiker look LOL. Hey, how about the Alden Indy? Dr Jones hiked in those... I actually have a pair with lugged sole and it's quite possible they are the solution, old school last and leather, but modern sole for grip.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner