Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Historical Hats & Reenacting History

Fed in a Fedora

Practically Family
I've never seen anything like those Light Infantry Helmets & the four piece dome is very unique.

The 2 piece Light Infantry Helmet is not all that uncommon during the flintlock period of history. Take a look at Simcoe in the TV series Turn for a very similar example. Of course the source of that hat is a friend of mine - complete with the 2nd SC LIR crescent on the front. After a lot of research, our historian found procurement documents; period illustrations and descriptions of our correct uniforms which caused us to upgrade our requirements significantly. This is why we went to the 4 panel version which is pretty rare. It is also far more comfortable and we make them ourselves with some pretty basic materials and tools. (But then we made our own cartridge boxes and bayonet carriages, so basic is a relative term.)

Here is the top and back view:
20160927_123249_zpsqewozjzy.jpg

The photos angle distorts the point of the rear facing material of the 4 panel version, but you can get the idea.

This is a shot of the liner and sweat bands:
20160927_123229_zpsmuzgyjci.jpg

Again, the angle of the 4 panel is a bit awkward, but you get the idea.

I greatly prefer the 4 panel because the leather conforms to the head better; the helmet is lighter and the feel of the sweatband - even with exposed stitching is much more comfortable. Our historian (the late Zack Pace) went to incredible efforts to obtain correct details in all uniform and equipment. We honor those who served in the war and our historian by putting the details out for people to see.

Fed

Last edited:
My Dad doing some demonstration at the local history museum back in the mid-1970s.

33775209453_4e333b04fa_z.jpg

Dad was photographed in the early 1980s (along with a buddy) next to a cannon during a reenactment at Wilson's Creek Battlefield (Missouri) and the photo was used by the local paper, then eventually as a silhouette icon for any Civil War or Wilson's Creek story. This painting was based on the photo.

34423548122_86aef0d6ca_z.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21