Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Historical Hats & Reenacting History

Reenactors & movie extras.

IMG_1553.jpg

IMG_1555.jpg

IMG_1554.jpg

IMG_1552.jpg

FedOregon

I'll Lock Up
Thanks Fed. There are better carvers no longer working but I haven't been able to find one of their pipes. Did you see the one in the other thread? This was from 1916.

IMG_1568.jpg
Wow, quite the pipe! I used to work in a retail shop in downtown Portland and they had an 800 square foot walk-in humidor, a moderate selection of pipes and tobacco, and a wine selection. I was the wine buyer for the shop. I tried pipes but could never get accustomed to it. We had a wonderful pipe guy who had nearly 100 pipes in his collection. He brought a wealth of knowledge to the shop and ordered in several new, excellent pipe tobaccos. I do admire a good looking pipe. The character of of wood/burl is exquisite on yours.

George Maddox was nicknamed the Peacock by his comrades during the Civil War, probably because of hat & plume. Shortly after the war he was tried & acquitted by a KS jury for murder during the raid on Lawrence, KS. Maddox & 5 of his friends serving as bodyguards left the state immediately before vigilanties had time to "express" their displeasure of the verdict with Maddox at the end of a rope.

IMG_1931.jpg

Fascinating, HJ!
Blackthorn, you may not know the story that Frank James was afraid of grave robbers so it was his desire to be cremated. When he died in 1915 at age 72 the only crematorium around was 250 miles away in St. Louis, MO. So his body was transported to St. Louis by train. His wife Annie kept his cremated remains in a bank vault until she died in 1944 at age 91. She too was then cremated & their cremated remains were buried together in a small family cemetery belonging to the maternal side of her family. Their only child, a son named Robert lived until 1959.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
The English (not British) had a civil war from 22 Aug 1642 until 3 Sep 1651. There's a very strong re-enactors society called, The Sealed Knot. Some of you may have seen movies based on that conflict. It was about whether Parliament, representing the people, ruled, or whether the monarch had total power. This was well after Magna Carta, which proclaimed that even the monarch was not above the rule of law. If it fascinates you just search for English civil war. One gruesome fact often forgotten was that, Oliver Cromwell, the leader of the winning side, was dug up three years after his death, tried for the regicide of King Charles the first, found guilty and was executed. (Sore losers, huh.) The picture depicts actors Tim Roth on the left and Dougray Scott as Oliver Cromwell and Thomas Fairfax. What do think of their hats? This is mid 17th century, about 375 years ago.
tim roth Cromwell Dougray Scott as Thomas Fairfax.jpg

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21