Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

History of Denim Chore Coats

Overlymanlystyle

New in Town
Hey guys,

So I've been looking into the military side of things, and found out the fatigue coat has been around for approximately 150 years already in the us army: check the first comment below the picture here http://www.shorpy.com/node/12902 and the article here http://www.wisegeek.com/what-are-military-fatigues.htm

That's probably the origin of the denim chore coat, or it could be, nothing's certain at this point. However I'm having a hard time finding information that could explain when and why this became a proper piece of workwear, and also when and why it was made in denim.

Also since I'm not a native English speaker I might be having trouble differentiating a fatigue coat, a chore coat, a barn coat... Help much appreciated!

Thank you gentlemen,
Kevin

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
Does it have to be denim? I think the blue work jackets ("bleu de travaille") from europe are the predecessor to any denim work jackets. If you really want to have a complete history of the denim chore coat you might start there. But do you really want to find the earliest style or just something from the golden era?

Free and Easy has "30s-40s" issue with many workwear jackets. In the book "Vintage menswear-A collection from the vintage showroom" you can fidn both european and american work clothes.

I think you're right. The classic French work jacket in blue cotton looks like the originator of the denim chore jacket.

Overlymanlystyle

New in Town
I think you're right. The classic French work jacket in blue cotton looks like the originator of the denim chore jacket.

With what dfukumoto just wrote the bleu de travail thingy might not work. I'm gonna look into that. There's literally NOTHING on the internet. [huh]

Flat Foot Floey

My Mail is Forwarded Here
150 years is not much. I doubt the army did "invent" this style of a coat. It is very simple and basic.
For me the chore coat is a mix of a jacket and a shirt. It is heavier than a shirt and worn as an outer layer but the structure with no padding and shaping is the same.
So it is thinakble that chore coats exist as long as people wear shirts and feel the need for a garment to protect themselves at work.

What else is important for a chore coat? Patch pockets are practical since the can be easily added to a garment without slitting through the fabric. If a patch pocket is worn out you can replace it with a similar "patch". I am really bad at searching google in french but there must be some pictures (maybe paintings) of french farmers or workers that are older than 150 years.
The history of indigo color is even older:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo

Overlymanlystyle

New in Town
150 years is not much. I doubt the army did "invent" this style of a coat. It is very simple and basic.
For me the chore coat is a mix of a jacket and a shirt. It is heavier than a shirt and worn as an outer layer but the structure with no padding and shaping is the same.
So it is thinakble that chore coats exist as long as people wear shirts and feel the need for a garment to protect themselves at work.

What else is important for a chore coat? Patch pockets are practical since the can be easily added to a garment without slitting through the fabric. If a patch pocket is worn out you can replace it with a similar "patch". I am really bad at searching google in french but there must be some pictures (maybe paintings) of french farmers or workers that are older than 150 years.
The history of indigo color is even older:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Indigo

Hey Flat Foot Floey, thanks! That's an interesting way to look at this.

I've indeed started looking into garment history as a whole because it seems like the chore jacket is not approached as a specific piece of clothing until the 30s ish. I should look at it like a sort of hybrid, exactly as you said. Paintings etc. are also a good idea, thanks for the trick.

The Wiser Hatter

I'll Lock Up
40's%20chore.jpg

50's%20chore1.JPG

Here are two examples of French work jackets from the 40's and 50's I found the images on eBay listings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo