Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood Jackets

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
J. M. Stovall said:
If you could start making quality jackets with that pattern it would be like you were printing your own money! ;)

:D

I would rather get some origninals like you did... by the way.. you're totally insane... not having more of those jackets lol

djgo-cat-go

Practically Family
djgo-cat-go said:
:D

I would rather get some origninals like you did... by the way.. you're totally insane... not having more of those jackets lol

Mr Stovall
no offense sir, didn't want to be rude in any way... as a newcomer to the Lounge I should watch my language a bit more, calling people totally insane... I must be insane...

If I find the time to make me a jacket, I'll post a picture.

repeatclicks

Practically Family
djgo-cat-go said:
Looks a lot like this vintage McCall's pattern I have...

M5628.jpg

I'm gonna start firing up the sewing machine... :)

Ive got the same pattern, my wife makes my stuff for me so this ones next on the list. Theres lots of good fabric shops in London. John Lewis stocks a polyester blend of Gabardine, Ive got two pairs of trousers made from the stuff and the more its worn, the better it drapes!

skyvue

Call Me a Cab
repeatclicks said:
Ive got the same pattern, my wife makes my stuff for me so this ones next on the list.

sigh... man, am I envious.

Don't get me wrong -- my wife's aces, but she doesn't sew.

So, all I can say is ... sigh.

Jay

Practically Family
I finally snagged one of these jackets! In the colors I wanted no less. Although I'll be kicking myself if the George McFly comments start coming my way.

!BT)Dl,QBWk~$(KGrHgoOKigEjlLmbZRpBKKIPocQM!~~_1.JPG

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
Absinthe_1900 said:
Not PJ's. :eusa_doh:

Tucker

cap019.jpg

Swing Shift

cap024.jpg

cap025copy.jpg

Tucker, 40s. Swing shift, 50s. Not the period, just the jacket.

That is the difference between what I like and the above belted pajama looking jacket. It is an authentic style, but more of a fifties style. Which is big with the japanese guys, but less so amongst the rest of the world. Some europeans go for a flashy fifties look, but most in the US either go for jeans t shirt rockabilly, or 40s swing style.

Jay

Practically Family
I've heard that the two-tone jacket has been around since like 1939 (at least I think that's what year Marc Chevaliers example was from) but is anyone sure what time they went out of style? I don't think I've seen a thin-lapeled example, so I'm guessing around 1958-9ish?

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
What's this?

Gentlemen,

koret.jpg

I have this jacket, by Koret from California, hanging in my closet for years but I just can't find a way to make it work.[huh] I like to hear what you guys think about it's style and age, and what you'd wear it with.

Much obliged, M.M.

BellyTank

I'll Lock Up
It has somewhat of a Western thing going on- I bet that darker shoulder yoke
has one or two points at the back, huh? A pleat down the back?
Western wear can be hard, without the full setup. it really needs the matching pants- a tough one to use as an odd jacket. Takes some commitment.

I'm not so up on Western wear but I would guess it's no older than very late '40s, although I couldn't tell you how "new" it could be.

I'm sure you know...

B
T

Mysterious Mose

Practically Family
Yep, pointed joke. No pleats, real boxy thing. I was guessing 1940's. Some confused Hollywood dude rancher get-up, you reckon ? Western swinger?
I suppose your right about matching gabardine pants. I don't think I'd wear it even if I'd find them.

thunderw21

I'll Lock Up
Jay said:
I've heard that the two-tone jacket has been around since like 1939 (at least I think that's what year Marc Chevaliers example was from) but is anyone sure what time they went out of style? I don't think I've seen a thin-lapeled example, so I'm guessing around 1958-9ish?

I've seen examples from the '70s, though they were poorly done. Don't really know if they were considered "Hollywood Jackets" by that time; perhaps just a '70s restyling of the 'pure' 1940s jacket.

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Mysterious Mose said:
Yep, pointed joke. No pleats, real boxy thing. I was guessing 1940's. Some confused Hollywood dude rancher get-up, you reckon ? Western swinger?
I suppose your right about matching gabardine pants. I don't think I'd wear it even if I'd find them.

Late 1940's, early 1950's, something that could be ordered out of a Sear's Catalog. If you are planning to part with it, I would be willing to give it a good home for a fair price or trade!

reetpleat

Call Me a Cab
resortes805 said:
Is that a two-tone Hollywood jacket?
8832412_Ozzy1.jpg

Sure looks it. In the late seventies, thrift store finds were popular. Kind of prepunk, if that is when the photo dates from. there is a famous NY band from that period, maybe the stooges. The lead singer often wore a bomber jacket, and also a gaberdine two tone fifties jacket in a lot of photos.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shiny hats