Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywood Jackets

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
So what's the difference between a Hollywood, leisure, and loafer jacket?

Guttersnipe is right. Plus, as these items are getting rarer and rarer dealers are freely exchanging these terms to describe anything that remote resembles these jackets.

They are all leisure jackets, but the 70's co-opted that term.

Loafer jackets are the two tone (or one tone) unstructured jackets pictured above. Basically, they should fit like a big warm shirt.

Hollywood jackets are leisure jackets that feature a panel across the shoulder, a back yoke, and sometimes a full belt or rear halfbelt. Vents and pleats are icing on the cake. There used to be a company called Hollywood Sportswear that churned out these jackets and sold them via mail order in magazine ads, so I assume this style of jacket got tagged as a "hollywood" jacket the same way we refer to all tissue as "kleenex."

When most collectors refer to hollywood jackets, the default image will be of the two tone "Eton Hall" style jacket from the late 40s early 50s. Like this one:
$T2eC16hHJGsFFMZY4ntGBSJONMuS,Q~~60_57.JPG

Last edited:

Retro Spectator

Practically Family
I was wondering, were there ever jackets like this? This is a Photoshopped Paul Fredrick jacket, and no such jacket exists to my knowledge. It seems all Hollywood Jackets are single-breasted.
bUzihiA.png

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been going through some of my collection this week and have unearthed some amazing Hollywood jackets that either don't fit me anymore or that I wouldn't wear.
Do we think there's a market for these jackets currently?
I would sell them if I thought I would not lose money on them...

Hyena Stomp

One of the Regulars
I've been going through some of my collection this week and have unearthed some amazing Hollywood jackets that either don't fit me anymore or that I wouldn't wear.
Do we think there's a market for these jackets currently?
I would sell them if I thought I would not lose money on them...

I'm always in the market for 'em. :D

Mike K.

One Too Many
Hi everyone,

I found this nice Hollywood jacket and hope to obtain some information from any experts out there. From what I can tell, it is a 1940s-50s vintage jacket made of wool gabardine with a satin (or something similar) lining. There are no labels or other maker marks to be found. Shoulders have some padding. There are a few small moth holes, some easily-mended stitching that has come undone, and one missing sleeve button. It measures: 23" chest, 25.5" sleeve, 30.5" back length, and 19" shoulder width (making it roughly a men's size 40-42).

Any idea as to actual vintage date, manufacturer, and value?

DSCI9448_zpsszfwoaif.jpg

DSCI9450_zpsz140ovaf.jpg

DSCI9445_zpsrjjsytwh.jpg

DSCI9443_zpszykj4eoo.jpg

DSCI9447_zpscu8ctb08.jpg

It looks quite similar to the costume jacket used in The Aviator.
cap063_zpsizlwcxeq.png

tecolote

New in Town
I'm glad I found this thread as I've always kind of liked this style(not that I have any),but never knew what to call it. I decided I had to find out more since watching Agent Carter as Howard Stark is wearing these almost exclusively. Was this an L.A. thing or would you find this style in 1946 New York(realizing this show does have sci-fi elements)? Here are some photos; the leather trimmed one is the coolest IMHO:

Regards,

Tecolote

resortes805

Call Me a Cab
Hi everyone,

Any idea as to actual vintage date, manufacturer, and value?

You've got the date range nailed pretty well. Tons of manufacturers offered this style of jacket, so that may be harder to pin down. Recent closed ebay auctions value these style of jackets between $150-250.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
It's a funny jacket. It's a great fabric, but with the heaviness and the stiff hand of it, it feels more like an upholstery fabric than what you usually expect. And it has this very strange, polyester lining that clashes horribly with the body fabric. Normally, that would make me think that it was home made from an old pattern later, but the workmanship on it is excellent and consistent and it doesn't have any of the weird design tweaks you would expect from a later era. I especially love that it has a full belted back with the gathered fabric top and bottom. So pretty great looking, but one of those rare pieces that has me somewhat stumped for dating.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
This makes me curious about the liner. Any pics?
Couldn't the liner be a later replacement? When did polyester start getting used, anyway - in the late 60s?

By later era I suppose you mean post-60s?

Metatron

One Too Many
It's a funny jacket. It's a great fabric, but with the heaviness and the stiff hand of it, it feels more like an upholstery fabric than what you usually expect. And it has this very strange, polyester lining that clashes horribly with the body fabric. Normally, that would make me think that it was home made from an old pattern later, but the workmanship on it is excellent and consistent and it doesn't have any of the weird design tweaks you would expect from a later era. I especially love that it has a full belted back with the gathered fabric top and bottom. So pretty great looking, but one of those rare pieces that has me somewhat stumped for dating.

Definitely not relined then?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21