Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hollywoodland

katiemakeup

Practically Family
Just saw a brief trailer for the new movie "Hollywoodland" (I think thats what it was called) starring Ben Affleck as George Reeves... it explores his controversial death. It looks really really good and Ben is uncanny as George. Adrian Brody, Diane Lane and Bob Hoskins also star. It looks kind of L.A. Confidentialish. I forgot when it came sout, but soon I guess.

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
George Reeves Death

I was in grade school in the late 1950's when Reeves died of a
supposed self inflicted gun shot wound.At the time this story was
"big" kids news across the country!

SC :(

PS Thanks Katiemakeup for heads up will check this flic when it comes
out! ;)

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
Solid Citizen said:
I was in grade school in the late 1950's when Reeves died of a
supposed self inflicted gun shot wound.At the time this story was
"big" kids news across the country

I'm a few years after you but I recall asking my Uncle Mike, who had been living in Beverly Hills at the time, what happened to GR and he said that it was a set-up/murder. But then, he was a cynical New York/Chicago guy.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I saw the trailer for this the other night, and there's a quick glimpse of Affleck in Clark Kent guise where he doesn't look too bad -- but I think that's the glasses and the hat more than him. Otherwise, though, it looks very gritty and noirish -- would be even better if they'd shot it in black and white!

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
September looks to be a great time for "retro" style movies, one per week actually!
9/8 Hollywoodland
9/15 The Black Dahlia
9/22 All The King's Men
9/29 Flyboys

Feraud

Bartender
flat-top said:
September looks to be a great time for "retro" style movies, one per week actually!
9/8 Hollywoodland
9/15 The Black Dahlia
9/22 All The King's Men
9/29 Flyboys

This is going to be a very decent movie month!

Just to clarify my prior comment. I was not defending Affleck's acting talent. There is not much to defend. ;)
I think in terms of physical resemblance Afflect can pull it off. The storyline will probably not require talent of Gielgud like proportions! :D

jake_fink

Call Me a Cab
flat-top said:
9/8 Hollywoodland
9/15 The Black Dahlia
9/22 All The King's Men
9/29 Flyboys

September is not usually my favourite month - I'm a college prof. - but this one might be bearable.

I saw this one being shot in Toronto. Was your friend in Tdot or was it also filmed in NY?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
Feraud said:
Just to clarify my prior comment. I was not defending Affleck's acting talent. There is not much to defend. ;)
I think in terms of physical resemblance Afflect can pull it off. The storyline will probably not require talent of Gielgud like proportions! :D

There's an unfortunately-hysterical shot in the trailer of Affleck in his dressing room wearing the padded-muscle rig that Reeves evidently wore under his tights, and looking rather distressed. The "muscles" look more like strapped-on sacks of flour -- which may explain why Reeves had that pudgy look in the first place!

Unfortunately, we aren't getting this film where I work -- the multiplex up the road snagged it instead. But I'm pushing hard for us to get "All The Kings Men," which I expect to be an excellent picture.

flat-top

My Mail is Forwarded Here
jake_fink said:
September is not usually my favourite month - I'm a college prof. - but this one might be bearable.

I saw this one being shot in Toronto. Was your friend in Tdot or was it also filmed in NY?
Nah, my friend lives and works in California. The scenes he was in were indeed shot in Hollywoodland!

BigSleep

One of the Regulars
I have friends in the industry and the word is that this film is too long and it is Ben A's worst performance ever.

Bummer!

Solid Citizen

Practically Family
Ben A

Wow if this is worse than his work in "Jersey Girl" man that doesn't sound good.
Thanks for the heads up sorry since it was great subject for a flick [huh]

SC :eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Ayanda