Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
mayserwegener said:
Here is a really nice black J. Heinr. ITA Homburg that I also posted on the German - Austrian Hutmacher thread (also posted above). Seller said 1940 but I couldn't find any date info on the paper label.

3528845226_19c2b52d7f_b.jpg

3528845346_c2b131e01b_b.jpg

3528033901_9f867d9489.jpg

WOW, I would love to have one like that... guess I have to keep my eyes peeled from now on...... Great find...

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
Custom charcoal fur felt homburg patterned after the homburg Paul Giametti's Character, inspector Uhl, wears in the film "The Illusionist". Tim Bender made it for me.

n21204510_30654093_7454.jpg

364625807.jpg

I wear it with morning dress often even though the purists will tell you you need a top hat with tails...

364625910.jpg

I received my restored 1940 Habig Homburg from Optimo. They replaced the sweat and ribbon and upped the size from 56cm to 59cm. It lost a small amount crown height but no visual impact. I think they did a beautiful job. I really love this hat!

3549076903_228bf2c2db_b.jpg

3549884866_ec1e99da25_b.jpg

3549884750_fc616f3345_b.jpg

3549885142_224e75f436.jpg

Mr. Paladin

My Mail is Forwarded Here
mayserwegener, I agree with you; that is a beauty of a homburg and the remake is superb.

Chasseur, that is a nice hat. The wider brim gives it a bit of a western look, or maybe a bit of a Prince Albert style. Either way, I like it.

Mr. Paladin said:
mayserwegener, I agree with you; that is a beauty of a homburg and the remake is superb.

Thanks! The shape also changed with the re-block. I have another vintage Habig Homburg in my size (59cm) on the way so it will be interesting to compare. From what a can remember the original block had less curl on all sides. The front and back were nearly flat.

Mr. Paladin

mayserwegener said:
Thanks! The shape also changed with the re-block. From what a can remember the original block had less curl on all sides. The front and back were nearly flat.

It seems to resemble the Akubra homburg that Goose wears now; a greater curl and a shorter brim. Post up the other one when you get it back, please. I love the look of a homburg.

Mr. Paladin said:
It seems to resemble the Akubra homburg that Goose wears now; a greater curl and a shorter brim. Post up the other one when you get it back, please. I love the look of a homburg.

You are correct. I went back and looked at the Ebay picture and it was flatter front and back. Also lost some crown height because of the size up.

I received a new vintage Habig Homburg. This one is in great condition. The felt quality is very high and the styling is about as good as it gets. I think this one is from 1951 based on the paper label. You can see the difference in crown height from my other Habig that was sized up.

3555987991_6f28f319c7_b.jpg

3556036421_ef42c4b9e8_b.jpg

3555988297_5388a62982_b.jpg

This Wegener Homburg was probably made about 10 years ago. The quality is similar to Akurba or a better Stetson. Attention to detail might actually be better.

3556799532_5b37f837d5_b.jpg

3556799598_5ab5232957_b.jpg

3556799658_f8d68e7da2_b.jpg

Here is a Lembert Homburg (Augsburg, Germany). I am thinking it was made in the late 1980s but it could newer. Nice workmanship for a modern production hat. Lembert is still in business.

3466786254_455dd9446c_b.jpg

3465970879_8da99dc16f_b.jpg

3466774362_c7a3b80b16_b.jpg

3466774434_966d36b7ef.jpg

Mr. Paladin

mayserwegener, you have a great collection of homburgs. The Wegener is particularly interesting with its narrower brim, but I enjoy seeing the different styles of rolls on the straight-ahead pictures. The interest is the thickness of the brim and its relation to the type and tightness of the pencil roll. The Habig wins that one, hands down. Great hats; keep 'em coming!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
A Homburg virgin no longer...!! (my first one)

Still unsure if 'this' is my kinda lid [huh] It's such a different style to what I'm used to with the classic Fedora. I'm just going to give it some time and get used to it - then, we'll see. Marvellous Cavanagh in great condtion. Unlined for summer wear.

Makes me slightly uneasy as it reminds me of DeNiro as Capone in The Untouchables!! haha.

homburg002.jpg

homburg001.jpg

Goose.

Practically Family
Mr. Paladin said:
Just for reference, here's the Akubra.
Think I may wear it today :)

556303073_NZ3pa-S.jpg

PADDY said:
Still unsure if 'this' is my kinda lid [huh] It's such a different style to what I'm used to with the classic Fedora. I'm just going to give it some time and get used to it - then, we'll see. Marvellous Cavanagh in great condtion. Unlined for summer wear.

Makes me slightly uneasy as it reminds me of DeNiro as Capone in The Untouchables!! haha.

Looks damn good to me!

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Thanks for the support there guys...as you'll be aware...

'If ' (like me) you have 'never' worn a Homburg before (can you remember your FIRST time?), well, it truely is such a different animal of a hat, that it can take awhile just to become accustomed to it. I know many members here feel it is much more 'formal' than the average fedora,but as you can see from the above pics, I guess it depends on what you're wearing with it. But it does certainly 'stand out' (in my mind at least), and is even rarer to see being worn in today's high street than the fedora (and that's saying something).

But I have this feeling that *it could* (and I'm just saying 'could' as it really is early days to get my head around this new styled baby) become a favourite, under the right circumstances.

The fact that it is a lightweight too, is a major plus for me.

Nice to be a *new member* of this Homburg club!!

Goose.

Practically Family
PADDY said:
'If ' (like me) you have 'never' worn a Homburg before (can you remember your FIRST time?), well, it truely is such a different animal of a hat, that it can take awhile just to become accustomed to it. I know many members here feel it is much more 'formal' than the average fedora,but as you can see from the above pics, I guess it depends on what you're wearing with it. But it does certainly 'stand out' (in my mind at least), and is even rarer to see being worn in today's high street than the fedora (and that's saying something).

But I have this feeling that *it could* (and I'm just saying 'could' as it really is early days to get my head around this new styled baby) become a favourite, under the right circumstances.

The fact that it is a lightweight too, is a major plus for me.

Nice to be a *new member* of this Homburg club!!
Paddy, you probably like it even more than since your last post.
Straight up, my Akubra Homburg has become one of my favorites. Hmmm, I guess it "is" my favorite. I wear it more often than any other and get more comments on it than any other as well. The link below is a comment and today I got two at the grocery store:

http://www.thefedoralounge.com/showpost.php?p=813996&postcount=384

It's just flat out a blast to wear. Am actually comtemplating getting another as a spare. The one I have now will probably be worn to hell in a year or so. Don't know how long Akubra will be making them as I don't think they sell many of them (???) So I'm thinking I should grab another while I can.

That BBB Homburg is calling me. But I doubt I will be seeing any more BBB Panamas since the "dot bomb" hit me :( Akubra is just at the threshold for me, a Borsalino may be coming up, but a Brent Black? Just one that I can dream of. That BBB Homburg is nothing short of my dream hat. Thanks for the link O.G., I think :eusa_doh:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
direfulzealot