Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Homburg Nation

P. & C. Habig Wien "Export Qualität", 59cm, probably late 1950s. This is a NOS from Hut Brömme Nürnberg. Unique color with contrasting band and binding.

33246226960_9a030fdb4e_b.jpg

32787049464_aa654c64b1_b.jpg

32787048344_7d6d89061d_b.jpg

33629777095_b5d03b58ac_b.jpg

32787037484_c4bb89ae0d_b.jpg

33500695381_eee3bb520e_b.jpg

P. & C. Habig Wien "Export Qualität", 59cm, probably late 1950s. This is a NOS from Hut Brömme Nürnberg. Unique color with contrasting band and binding.

33246226960_9a030fdb4e_b.jpg

32787049464_aa654c64b1_b.jpg

32787048344_7d6d89061d_b.jpg

33629777095_b5d03b58ac_b.jpg

32787037484_c4bb89ae0d_b.jpg

33500695381_eee3bb520e_b.jpg
There is a lot to love about this Homburg. That bow is a nice touch. I'm wondering, do European "Homburgs" have a different style of brim (not as wide) than domestic ones. My Barbisio has these dimensions as well. Compared to my Mallory and Knox Homburgs that have brims that are a good 1/2" wider. Probably a dumb question, but I was curious.

I'll post this one in the borsalino brotherhood as well, but this one is one of the oldest hats I own. I think 1930's, but I'm not sure. A beautiful misto, tall crowned and wide brimmed homburg by borsalino. I know the brim dip and center dent don't line up, but that has been remedied. Label states 5 1/2 size but it fits my smallish 5 perfectly. I thought the label said 'lobbia' but that's not it. Anyone a suggestion on what it might be? Found on ebay France for 50 euro. Who can say no?

borsalino lobbia_01.jpg
borsalino lobbia_02.jpg
borsalino lobbia_04.jpg
borsalino lobbia_08.jpg
borsalino lobbia_10.jpg
borsalino lobbia_12.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
This Lobbia Borsalino is a gem, probably from the thirties. Lining said so.
"Nebbia" (fog) hand written, is the color name on the paper label
Misto is a felt made with part of wool and part of fur, very typical of the Italian production until these days.
The surface of the felt is a little bit coarse and the shape of the lobbia is medium to great proportions like they used to be in those days.
It is rare to find Borsalino made before the WWII, here I saw some, less than a fingers of one hand.
Lucky you!

Hello Daniele. Thanks for the comment and clearing that up. Couldn't make out what it said, but Nebbia makes perfect sense. I always thought misto referred to the mixed colour and not to the mix of felt. This one does not feel coarse at all, so I never thought of a mixed felt. Here's what it looked like on the auction photo. There was a picture of the label there as well and I knew I had to have it. borsalino lobbia_13.jpg

Daniele Tanto

I'll Lock Up
I always thought misto referred to the mixed colour and not to the mix of felt. This one does not feel coarse at all, so I never thought of a mixed felt.
Misto is referred to a mixed felt not the color.
From the pictures you posted it seems, to my eyes only, a mixed felt.
Touching the felt is the best way to determinate the composition, by the way I have some Italian hats, same color, and they are mixed felt.
Mixed felt is not an issue, it is an European way to made felt with high results.
Take note that here, Old Continent, the principal component of felt is wool very weel treated and the basic standard for felts

There is a lot to love about this Homburg. That bow is a nice touch. I'm wondering, do European "Homburgs" have a different style of brim (not as wide) than domestic ones. My Barbisio has these dimensions as well. Compared to my Mallory and Knox Homburgs that have brims that are a good 1/2" wider. Probably a dumb question, but I was curious.
Thanks! You see different brim widths on European Homburg like hats. In general the brims become smaller as you move into the later 1950s and beyond.

Another great find and another one to add to Mayserwegeners long long list of beautiful hats. Never seen a bad Habig hat; always great quality. A good thing Hut Brömme hangs on to its old stock. Sometimes all you need to do is ask if there is any...
Thanks too! Really fantastic Borsalino. Here are a couple 1929 date stamped Echter Borsalinos for comparison.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...c/50-borsalino-german-market/page-2#entry1153

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionz...c/50-borsalino-german-market/page-2#entry1198

The liner seams are similar and the size is hand written on the paper label. Your paper label has a different dimension (longer and not as wide). In the late 1930s you can see an separate size stamp added at the right side of the paper label.

http://germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/index.php?/topic/50-borsalino-german-market/#entry252

The above applies to European market Borsalinos.

Last edited:
Thanks for the extra information and the comment. I had seen the last one, with the separate size stamp, before on your site. I used that one as a reference point thinking a written one would be earlier. So twenties is more likely then. Good to know.

Thanks for the extra information and the comment. I had seen the last one, with the separate size stamp, before on your site. I used that one as a reference point thinking a written one would be earlier. So twenties is more likely then. Good to know.
It might be late 1920s although my guess is bit later. Regardless it's a great hat!

Very nice homburg (as we would expect from mayserwegener). I was wondering though if Stanton was a sub-brand made by Wegener? The evidence I have for this is a bit thin, but still: the imprint on the sweatbands for a stanton (left) and a wegener (right) show the
same bunny. Couldn't find anything on stanton on Steve's site, but maybe I missed it.

. stanton_7.jpg wegener white_4.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy