Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hounding for a Fox Umbrella?

Matt Deckard

Man of Action
John Steed is the cause of my love for the Fox steel tube umbrella. For years I lusted after the sleek look that Patrick Macnee made famous as John Steed, His bowler and brolly were part of the suit. For the bowler, I have a good collection nowadays. Even though in the show it was stated by a character that Steed only wore bowlers from Lock Hatters, there are a few scenes in which you can clearly see the Herbert Johnson shield in the liner… I have bowlers that are period correct from both companies. Anywho, back to the brolly.

These days there aren't as many choices for a gentleman's umbrella, not like the choices you had in the early 1900s. I have myself a Swaine Aideny Brigg in a nice solid wood that can double as a cane if ever I need one, and a whangee handled steel tube Fox Umbrella that mimics Steeds bumbershoot of choice. I love them both, yet prefer the sleek fox for the fact that it is sleek. The one problem I have with the modern version that Fox produces is that they now use a plastic runner rather than a brass one. Both my high end brollys are nylon covered, but sometime when I go back to London I promise I will have these rain protectors redone in a good silk… The patter of warted splatter on the canopy just sounds… well, proper.

Matt+Deckard+Apparel+1.jpg

Many of the older pics going to the twenties have the royals carrying the steel tubed umbrellas. Light jaunty and a narrower time for fashion altogether.

prince-vi.jpg

Nowadays they always seem to be carrying stick umbrellas with solid pieces of wood at the core... bit more sturdy if you use it as a cane -- which do you prefer?

6a00d8341bfcfe53ef00e54f26cf668834-800wi.jpg

Some inside shots for good measure.

securedownload-3.jpeg

That darned plastic runner that Fox uses these days.

John+Steed+Matt+Deckard.jpeg

Steed style with a Whangee grip

Matt+Deckard+Steed.jpeg

Matt+Deckard+Apparel.jpg

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
One of these days I really need to invest in a good, sturdy gentleman's umbrella. I live in one of the raniest cities in Canada besides Port Hardy, but ironically very few people actually use umbrellas where I live. I guess everyone has just resolved that we're going to be wet and is at peace with that, so why bother fighting it? lol Still, the gentleman's brolly is quite the dashing accessory, not to mention immensely practical.

I wonder if I might ask how much those lovely bumberchutes set you back, Matt?

Chasseur

Call Me a Cab
I have to admit I am partial to James Smith solid stick umbrellas. I like something sturdy for walking with in the evening.

Picking out a nice piece of ash at the shop a few years ago:

389021228.jpg

Gin&Tonics

Practically Family
I have to admit I am partial to James Smith solid stick umbrellas. I like something sturdy for walking with in the evening.

Picking out a nice piece of ash at the shop a few years ago:

389021228.jpg
I read an article about them before I left on this trip and I would have liked to have popped into their shop while I was laying over in London; alas there wasn't time.

Nick D

Call Me a Cab
I have a steel tube Fox, and I like it a great deal. I had a wood-shaft Fox (not solid stick) which was also slender, though not as much, but it got holes in the canopy and I ended up selling it. I don't worry about sturdyness when walking since I don't put any real weight on it.

BR Gordon

One Too Many
I purchased a Sulka umbrella about thirty years ago, while in Paris. It's covered in silk and has an alligator skin handle. After thirty years it's still in very good condition, granted in New Mexico it doesn't get a lot of use. This one is very sturdy and can be used as a walking stick.

Last edited:

carldelo

One Too Many
Interesting all around - I'm in the market for an upgrade after both my full-size umbrellas gave up the ghost this spring.
Anybody have any pointers of where to get a good umbrella in NYC - they've got to be here somewhere....

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo