Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How about that vintage western look

Miss sofia

One Too Many
kyboots said:
Bart that look on Warbaby is Hopalong Cassiday! Miss Sofia are the boots leather or "man made"? If leather use the saddle soap to clean, but always replace the oils in the leather.John

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated, thanks too, Lady LOLG! I'll get cracking straightaway!

Gutshot

One of the Regulars
Dinerman said:
'20s Stetson and fur coat
19039_217709320908_630485908_3022322_3588737_n.jpg

Ok, that is officially a sweet coat.... seriously. Is that buffalo? I swear, you have the most amazing collection.

iLiveinmyLab

New in Town
Hi, I know I'm kind of new here but I thought I would pop in and give some suggestions on vintage western look.

One important brand to ranching culture that hasn't been mentioned is Carhartt. Some of the denim-like jackets featured in photos earlier in the thread as well as some of the pants appear to be of the Carhartt type. I know (based on family stories) that at least 4 generations in my family have worn Carhartt in the winter for chores on the farm (I'm from a long line of cattlemen and horse breeders) and they still sell some of the same traditional styles that have been popular for decades. If you can't find a true vintage Carhartt and decide to get a new one but want it to look aged, just throw it in the washing machine and colors will start to fade (word of warning they will shrink the first time washed).

Another way to search for photos from the 30's-60's is by searching for "Fat Stock Show" photos from the various cities with shows (Houston, Ft. Worth, San Angelo, etc..) Originally Livestock was referred to as Fat Stock and later on the term was changed due to the change in style of animal. Often times people wore their nicest western shirt and pants to show in and hats were almost always worn in the Texas show circuits (in fact it was considered poor showmanship for men to not wear them until the 1980's & 1990's). Here's a great source for old Stock show photos http://texashistory.unt.edu/search/?q=fat+stock+show&start=0&t=fulltext You can also search for old cowboy photos on that website, you can find some neat photos of cowboys working out on ranches in Texas, they have a great collection.

Land-O-LakesGal

Practically Family
Howdy

iLiveinmyLab said:
Hi, I know I'm kind of new here but I thought I would pop in and give some suggestions on vintage western look.

One important brand to ranching culture that hasn't been mentioned is Carhartt. Some of the denim-like jackets featured in photos earlier in the thread as well as some of the pants appear to be of the Carhartt type. I know (based on family stories) that at least 4 generations in my family have worn Carhartt in the winter for chores on the farm (I'm from a long line of cattlemen and horse breeders) and they still sell some of the same traditional styles that have been popular for decades. If you can't find a true vintage Carhartt and decide to get a new one but want it to look aged, just throw it in the washing machine and colors will start to fade (word of warning they will shrink the first time washed).

Another way to search for photos from the 30's-60's is by searching for "Fat Stock Show" photos from the various cities with shows (Houston, Ft. Worth, San Angelo, etc..) Originally Livestock was referred to as Fat Stock and later on the term was changed due to the change in style of animal. Often times people wore their nicest western shirt and pants to show in and hats were almost always worn in the Texas show circuits (in fact it was considered poor showmanship for men to not wear them until the 1980's & 1990's). Here's a great source for old Stock show photos http://texashistory.unt.edu/search/?q=fat+stock+show&start=0&t=fulltext You can also search for old cowboy photos on that website, you can find some neat photos of cowboys working out on ranches in Texas, they have a great collection.

Welcome aboard and thanks for the suggestions!!!!:)

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Three new Roper shirts

Wow, I haven't seen anything like those since I looked at pictures from my third birthday. Where did you get those? I'm not sure I could where those in Wichita with a straight face. I'm from Central Illinois and I would have gotten serious crap from everyone even wearing cowboy boots in high school. No horse, no cowboy boots, no exceptions. No bike, no engineer boots, no exceptions. I wore Converse all stars every day.

If I'd have worn those shirts, I would still here be hearing about those shirts 30 years later. lol

Later

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
I got the gray one at a western shop in Virginia, the other two I picked up second-hand. I don't wear these as much as I'd like for the same reason, but I do like the style.

Honey Bee

One of the Regulars
Love those shirts!!!
I can honestly say that I have never come across anything like them in the thrift stores here...maybe saying that will allow some to "come my way"!...I don't care what size, they are awesome!

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
The fabric is pretty nice on the ropers as well. I see a lot of '70s western shirts in thrift shops, some with pretty nice designs, but the fabric is alway really thick awful polyester. The ropers are a poly- rayon blend, which has a nice (non-polyester) feel to it. I also like that they take the little extra trouble to line the neck.

1961MJS

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Dinerman said:
The fabric is pretty nice on the ropers as well. I see a lot of '70s western shirts in thrift shops, some with pretty nice designs, but the fabric is alway really thick awful polyester. The ropers are a poly- rayon blend, which has a nice (non-polyester) feel to it. I also like that they take the little extra trouble to line the neck.

Hi Dinerman, I really don't like polyester, I had a few suits made of it. :rage: That was all there was in the 1970's in Illinois. Don't miss it at all.

Later Y'all

Cool1

New in Town
Western cycle

What a great bunch of photos. Interesting how cyclical the Western wear apparel is. It's been pretty well out now since the late nineties and even in South Texas you don't see nearly as much as you used to. This is partly due to the influx of people from other states, and partly due to the rise in the use of breathable, wicking fabric to assist us all in dealing with the radical heat. Additionall, the CW music market has trended somewhat away from the look (as well as the sound, I might add) of traditional "cowboy" wear. AND...There hasn't been a decent western movie hit since "Unforgiven," in 1992. That's WAY too long!

Michaelshane

One Too Many
I think unforgiven was the best of all time.

I had two uncles who dressed like the movie cowboys back in the 50s and 60s.I'll try to get pictures.I knew a lot of people who dressed like that up in to the early 60s.

Warbaby

One Too Many
Regarding western belts...

I've always thought that 'ranger' belts and buckles looked more appropriate with vintage western wear than the big rodeo style buckles. Anybody else wear them? Here's mine - a forged iron and silver Mexican Charro buckle from the mid to late 19th c.:

CharroBuckle2.jpg

CharroBuckle3.jpg

RBH

Bartender
Very cool thread.

With the upcoming FEDORA FEST in March at Garland Texas.
I would like to see some photos of Loungers in western style, with fedoras, classic cowboy hats or no head gear at all.
Just post a shot if you can!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21