Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How are greatcoats meant to fit?

EarlGrey

New in Town
Long time lurker here, and have greatly benefited from the collective wisdom of the Fedora Lounge over the years. I've finally come across a question I haven't been able to find an answer to.

I have come into possession of a couple of British Civil Defense greatcoats, and am confused by how they are supposed to fit. Some sources seem to indicate quite form fitting, without regard for, say, a suit jacket/military tunic. At most maybe over a shirt and sweater. On the other hand, everything I know about great/trench coats say they should fit over a jacket.

Does anybody have any insight on this? Much thanks!

tonypaj

Practically Family
I did my military service way up north. My thinking was always to get a big enough thing to layer a lot of of stuff underneath. I've slept in them at zero C, no tent, no nothing, against a tree. Back then I could not care less about what I looked like, warm was the way to go.

If you want it as a modern garment, I'd go the same way as you'd go with the trench coats.

ProteinNerd

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I think it would depend on how you plan on wearing it. If you expect you will wear it over just a shirt and sweater most of the time, use that as your fit guide or alternatively if you plan to use it over the top of a suit jacket or whatever, use that.

Dinerman

Super Moderator
Bartender
Generally, the rule of thumb is the measured chest of a coat should fit six inches larger than your measured chest size taken over your shirt.

havocpaul

One of the Regulars
They were always meant to be worn over uniform typically battledress and the CD ones would be the same when issued, however, I have always bought mine with the view of wearing them over a shirt and jumper so not oversized.

EarlGrey

New in Town
Thanks for the insight guys!

My main confusion stems from the fact that most coats I own are tailored to take into account for layers. My bridge coat is a 38, but that's taking into consideration for 38 + layers of clothes. For whatever reason, the British CD coat in 38 is pretty much exactly 38, leaving little to no room for layering. I guess people really were thinner back then!

I do like the CD greatcoat though. Thick outer wool layer, thinner wool liner, weights a ton, but so very stylish and warm. They really don't make them like they used to. I will admit, the thought of wearing a 60 year old coat is a bit odd... hopefully it will last a few more decades!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
eve_grace