Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How did you start wearing hats?

Indy Magnoli

Vendor
Welcome to the Lounge, Don. My main influence was, like many in those days, Indiana Jones. At the same time, however, I was a big Harry Anderson fan. Living near Tampa, FL when I was a kid, I visited Adam's City Hatters whenever I could. They sold many Borsalinos to Harry in those days and so my first hat was an Alessandria. Not a bad starter, eh? Here is a shot of me in my first hat... which I still have! :D

Yng_IM.jpg

I've been wearing a fedora ever since...

Kind regards,
Magnoli

hargist

One of the Regulars
Wow, it's really amazing how many people were influenced by Indiana Jones! It goes to show how influential cinema can be. I loved the movie, but I didn't make the Indiana Jones connection when I started wearing fedoras. If anything, I was influenced by my neighborhood. I live in a very Jewish area in Los Angeles and I see guys walking around wearing black fedoras all the time.

rockyj

One of the Regulars
the Big Lid

Started when I was a wee one. Grandpa always wore one. One day he got a new one and put the old one on my head. First as a joke but I kept wearing it for days. Big old thing. So he cut the brim down and pin the back and turn the front up. My first stingy brim. Been wearing them off and on for over 45 years;)

Brian Sheridan

One Too Many
I STOPPED wearing any hats while Indy was popular. I was tired of hearing "Hey, Indiana Jones!" People are so freakin original. It was Bogie and Sinatra that made the hat attractive to me - though I am only 41 years old.

BRS

akaBruno

Suspended
Like everyone else here, I had a plethora of hats and caps growing up. Never took it seriously. I just thought that my Daddy's older brothers were the only ones who still wore fedoras. I got my 1st fedora, a cheap wool Indy ripoff, for $10 after the Indy fad was wearing thin. Hardly ever wore it. Same w/ the Stetson straw cowboy hat I bought at the time. I did also buy a black leather newsboy sport type that I wore a lot. Other than that it was only wool winter stocking caps or my Mad Bomber.

Then... I found my Daddy's Stetson Open Road mashed into a plastic bag, long forgotten. It's now, I'm proud to say, back in shape and, I'm hooked. I'm starting to get that feeling that, "You don't leave the house w/out a hat.

BRUNO

and btw, I figgered this thread needed a ^bump^. Great thread.

Jerekson

One Too Many
Brian Sheridan said:
I STOPPED wearing any hats while Indy was popular. I was tired of hearing "Hey, Indiana Jones!" People are so freakin original.
BRS

It does get annoying. Don't let it discourage you from wearing your hats though. I've learned, over the years, to identify it as a type of compliment and treat it as such.

I got my first hat when I was five years old. It was a cheap wool felt crushable...and I'm sure I looked like a dork in it. I wore it in downturn brim all day, and it was about two sizes too big. Sheesh.

No doubt that IJ got me fired up about the fedora. HOWEVER, the Indy phase only lasted a few years before I started realizing how many other cool hats there were.

celtic

A-List Customer
the first fedora i owned was my late grandfather's.

my father has always worn old fashioned caps of some kind, so wearing them has always just seemed second nature, really.

doggieboy

New in Town
My story isn't very glamorous.

I've had a minor brush with skin cancer several years ago and again this past fall. This last time I decided this fall to keep my melon covered. Too much time on the tennis court, I guess.

I had no idea how to buy a hat, but knew it had to be a fedora. I searched for fedora on the web and found this site. My first hat was a grey Borsalino, which was a brand that I had never heard of until I spent some time here. I have no idea if it's a nice old one or a lousy newer one (but I like it). Thanks to you guys, I don't feel like I am wasting my money on poor hats. I was looking for a source for a nice Panama hat, at a reasonable price ($100) . I didn't even have to ask, as Art's name came up on two threads. I know exactly what I want and now I know where to get it.

I picked up a couple of hats off ebay yesterday (2 fer). A brown Dobbs and a decent looking straw (I like Art's Panamas more). Anyway guys, thank you for sharing your knowledge and making getting a good hat less of a chore and more like an adventure.

D

DBFedora

Anyone remember the movie "The Sting" with Redford and Newman? My dad took me to see it when it came out. What a great introduction to the era for me. Loved the clothes, the hats, the music, and the "look". Taken by the whole persona ever since. There was a class and sophistication represented that has always intrigued and inspired me. Would rather be in dress clothes than anything else as a result - not necessairly vintage, as such, but am beginning to explore what is available.

I've always worn and collected hats of all kinds. At one time had a collection of over 100 lids (mostly ball caps, however). Have reduced the collection significantly, but have kept some of the ballcaps that hold sentimental value, the fedoras, a top hat, and those I've purchased on special trips, etc. Bought my first real fedora in college (mid 80's) as part of an outfit for a Homecoming float with a mobster theme. Have worn one off and on ever since. Have started wearing mine with regularity the last five years or so. Like so many, I don't feel completely dressed without my hat. Wear them with pride.:fedora:

SFSEAN

New in Town
Vintage in Eugene?

mysterygal said:
I've always liked hats on other people's heads, but thought one on me would look really ridiculous. About 5months ago, I went to Eugene with MK and his wife to check out this vintage store and tried on some of the hats, more for a joke and a good laugh than anything else. Anyways, looked in the mirror and thought, 'dang, I look good!", after that I was hooked ;)

I went to college in Eugene after leaving the military in the late 1970's. I would have killed to have a vintage shop to go to. I did wear hats and older type clothes even though I was only in my mid-20's. I just couldn't do the bell bottom thing or the rayon shirts.

mtechthang

One of the Regulars
Ok to re-open?!?

I'm new here so if I'm being a bad poster by replying to this older thread, mea culpa! I started wearing hats due to sports. (Well to be honest the sun had something to do with it then too!) ;) My grandfather was a hat man. I never saw him outside that he wasn't wearing a fedora of some type. He wasn't wealthy so some were of moderate quality but he always took care of them. I never saw him lift a hat by the crown. He usually used two hands and it was obvious that he knew how to wear a hat. He was always kind of a hero to me. Even late in life he always had a presence about him.

Now, of course, I spent as much of my childhood summers in the theater as I could (we didn't get air conditioning till fairly late). So movies did play a bit of a role. It was about half cowboy hats (which, I admit now, feel like wearing a smallish chair on one's head! No offense. They are built to with-stand a rough life so they have to be tough! I do still wear them occasionally.) The other movies I loved were the detective movie and specifically Film Noir (hey they were cheap!!). I loved Bogey, Cagney, Robinson. The good and bad guys all wore those hats!! I had the same response as some when Indy came out - to stop wearing fedoras. But ultimately the occasional lout (insecure, ill-mannered, whatever) isn't worth giving up something one likes/loves. I'll endure that. I'm sure we appear to be pretenders to those who don't get it. That isn't our problem, now is it? :D Back to the never ending search for "The Hat!"
Tim

kiltie

Practically Family
cool thread

I started wearing fire helmets when I was about 3 1/2 - I was a huge Emergency! fan. Because of that, there was a weird bit of reverse inspiration - my dad joined the fire department because of me! So those helmets were on my head till about 8. I took a long break, then in high school I really got in tune with old movies. It was Miller's Crossing, though, that pushed me over the edge. Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade was still pretty fresh then, so hats were readily available, and my first one was the last good fur felt that Banana Republic offered. After that, a good black Dobbs. I've had a hat on pretty much ever since, in one form or another ( though, I have to admit that since trading ballcaps and tee-shirts is a very popular tradition in the fire service, I do sport one fairly regularly ( Chicago, Italy, Germany, NY, etc... at least there's a story for each one ). Since joining the fire dept. about ten years ago, I've often worn my dress cap ( Midway ) with my regular work uniform. I took out the halo so it looks a bit like a mission cap - Just feel odd outside hatless.

Martinis at 8

Practically Family
I'll leave my military service out of the equation.

Two reasons for me wearing hats: (1) Both of my grandfathers wore hats, so I don't find it so strange. (2) I work in some environments that take me outdoors (Africa, SE Asia), so I started wearing wide brim hats for sun protection.

M8

KeyGrip

A-List Customer
A friend of mine bought me a New York Hat Co. wool fedora for my birthday around ninth or tenth grade and I wore that until a few months ago when I lost it. My popular culture hat influence back then was the Blues Brothers.

tracyam

One of the Regulars
About a year ago I was in Philadelphia to see The Pogues. While walking around town my girlfriend and I passed a hat shop. On a whim I bought a black Kangol 504 and a black Capas Design. I was hooked after that. As soon as we got home I bought a Scala flat cap at a menswear store and wore it for the next 6 months.
When we got married in Charleston, SC this fall I figured I needed a sweet hat to go with my brown tux so I ordered a Baileys Gangster...kinda stiff. But while in Charleston I bought two new brown lite felt hats and another flat cap.

Haven't bought anything since...saving up for something a little nicer (but not too dressy) in dark gray or dark green.

Re-Open as necessary

Well done Tim!

mtechthang said:
I'm new here so if I'm being a bad poster by replying to this older thread, mea culpa! I started wearing hats due to sports. (Well to be honest the sun had something to do with it then too!) ;) My grandfather was a hat man. I never saw him outside that he wasn't wearing a fedora of some type. He wasn't wealthy so some were of moderate quality but he always took care of them. I never saw him lift a hat by the crown. He usually used two hands and it was obvious that he knew how to wear a hat. He was always kind of a hero to me. Even late in life he always had a presence about him.

Now, of course, I spent as much of my childhood summers in the theater as I could (we didn't get air conditioning till fairly late). So movies did play a bit of a role. It was about half cowboy hats (which, I admit now, feel like wearing a smallish chair on one's head! No offense. They are built to with-stand a rough life so they have to be tough! I do still wear them occasionally.) The other movies I loved were the detective movie and specifically Film Noir (hey they were cheap!!). I loved Bogey, Cagney, Robinson. The good and bad guys all wore those hats!! I had the same response as some when Indy came out - to stop wearing fedoras. But ultimately the occasional lout (insecure, ill-mannered, whatever) isn't worth giving up something one likes/loves. I'll endure that. I'm sure we appear to be pretenders to those who don't get it. That isn't our problem, now is it? :D Back to the never ending search for "The Hat!"
Tim

Tinker

New in Town
Starting to wear hats

For most of my adult life I have not worn a hat, occasionally caps or visors, but not hats. Five or six years ago I purchased a wool fedora. I don't recall why. I don't recall wearing it. It sat in the sun for a number of years, and I have been told that it is faded.

For the last half dozen years I have been wearing a hat while working outside at some vacation property I own--cutting firewood, constructing a utility building, driving a small tractor. A work hat keeps the sun out of my eyes and some dirt and pine needles out of my hair, but it's a work hat (actually a number of work hats. I like variety in my work hats.) Work hats are left in the mountains.

During my non-vacation activities I work inside, but spend a couple of hours each day outside. In the spring of 2007 I noticed I was using my hand to shade my eyes from the sun. Now, I've probably been doing this for...oh...decades...and suddenly I made a connection. A hat! Just as I can wear a hat while working outside, I could wear a hat while just being outside! I am constantly amazed at how creative my mind can be...eventually. Imagine...wearing a hat…in public. Me! I can do this. I can do this.

In short order I was off to The Hat Guys in Oakland at the top of 19th Street Bart station. Those of us with such establishments within an hour's commute are quite fortunate. Being Spring I purchased a Panama Hat. It must be from Panama, I thought, well...we know better now. The hat I purchased is a quite serviceable hat. Close friends refer to it as my Miss Marple Hat. It is, admittedly, a bit broad brimmed for my developing taste. My next straw hat is on its way from Panama Bob...mudslides willing.

Oh, my, look at the time. I've just been chattering away nine to the dozen. I'm going to miss my train.

tinker

funneman

Practically Family
I was hired by a local radio station to anchor the morning news. Having a thirty year background in comedy on radio and at clubs, the management was concerned that I would break into a routine in the middle of a newscast. (A major sin in our business and yet not entirely out of the question as far as I was concerned).

It was suggested by the powers-that-be that perhaps I should wear a suit and tie to work so I would "feel like a newsman" and thus be less tempted to fire off a couple of quick one-liners. At the time, the idea of putting on a suit at 4am was out of the question, but I remembered back the Eighties I had worn a brown wool fedora. So after a quick check of ebay I purchesed an olive green Dobbs.

The reaction by the staff, friends and total strangers was so vocal and so favorable, that nine hats laters, I've never looked back. I now wear one everyday and if I don't all I hear is "where's your hat?"

hipster

New in Town
I started as a small child. Wore just about any hat, beanies, caps, grandfathers.
Went through a western hat stage in my high school days (never really liked the music though). One hat I purchased in high school (western 10x beaver stetson back in 1980) Art Fawcett is repairing and reblocking into a diamond bash fedora ( similar size to the Akubra Bushman with a wide brim).
Most dances (high school and college) the tux had to have a hat (loved the top hats and homburgs).
After leaving college, started as a Real Estate Appraiser so I was outside almost every day. Still wearing a lid to this day.
Some take a double take if I dont have one on.

With a shaved head (been shaving it for about 12-15 years), it makes in very easy to wear a hat, BUT, i would love to have my hair back.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy