Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Went to a funeral this afternoon wearing my fav Silverbelly Stetson wit 2.5" brim. Had quite a few compliments but the one that impressed me the most was a teenager that said Nice Hat as soon as I walked in. The young ones are getting it.

IMG_20181006_163816.jpg

MondoFW

Practically Family
Seems like the higher quality hat I'm wearing, the more compliments. I get the most "gee, nice hat" and "where can I buy one like that?" comments with my Royal Stetson Deluxe. I kinda enjoy the disappointed/astonished reaction when I tell them it's a 70+ yr old hat, and can't be purchased at some Goorin Bros shop or something.

I wore my blue velour Agnoulita to a doctor’s appointment today and for the first half of the consultation the doctor asked about hats; he even asked if he could feel the velour.

I think lots of men like the looks and the idea of wearing hats but they lack the last little push to give them a try.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Bill Hughes

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I wore my blue velour Agnoulita to a doctor’s appointment today and for the first half of the consultation the doctor asked about hats; he even asked if he could feel the velour.

I think lots of men like the looks and the idea of wearing hats but they lack the last little push to give them a try.

Couldn’t agree more. I had a man say to me “I think fedoras are great. I wish they were in style.” To which I replied “They are if you want them to be. Just wear them.”

Hear Hear good sir!

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
Couldn’t agree more. I had a man say to me “I think fedoras are great. I wish they were in style.” To which I replied “They are if you want them to be. Just wear them.”

Style is a personal choice. Fashion is what is currently 'in.' If someone wants to make a fedora part of their personal style, whether or not it is currently in fashion is (should be) irrelevant.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
I haven't really thought about what people think about my hats until I started posting in this thread. I had to go to the VA Hospital this morning for an appointment and I will have to say older black folks are more informed about fedora hats and brands than most people. Seems they always strike up a hat conversation.

MondoFW

Practically Family
I haven't really thought about what people think about my hats until I started posting in this thread. I had to go to the VA Hospital this morning for an appointment and I will have to say older black folks are more informed about fedora hats and brands than most people. Seems they always strike up a hat conversation.
Blacks and Chicanos understand the vintage style a lot more, I will be honest. Probably because of the jazz connotations;; I never fail to get compliments from both those groups, they especially love the fedora or the spectators, when I break out either piece on occasion. Nearly all the ridicule for my vintage stuff or hats comes from Gen-Z whites. I'm not race-baiting, but I wish to understand why.

Winston Carter

Practically Family
Blacks and Chicanos understand the vintage style a lot more, I will be honest. Probably because of the jazz connotations;; I never fail to get compliments from both those groups, they especially love the fedora or the spectators, when I break out either piece on occasion. Nearly all the ridicule for my vintage stuff or hats comes from Gen-Z whites. I'm not race-baiting, but I wish to understand why.
It's true and has nothing to do with race. Most I have talked to in this area know about the Hat-Co outlet store where most whites could care less. They like old school hats and so do I.:):)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Grateful Fred