Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

Hal

Practically Family
...While in NC on a rather cold, rainy day I was wearing a double breasted raincoat (like Bogart's in Casablanca) and a Whippet-style fedora and a black gentleman passed by and said "You have that classic look... I love it!"
The point that arises from this is that you were wearing the raincoat and hat for a practical reason, and surely nobody could find fault with that. It is MUCH easier to wear a hat when also wearing an overcoat or raincoat.

Seraph1227

One of the Regulars
If I were to listen to so called fashion experts, such as GQ. I would be wearing a suit that looked like it was two sizes too small for me, pants rolled up to the ankle and no socks. And if someone has the temerity to belittle my fedora, I would simple tell them to turn their cap straight and pull up their pants.

skydog757

A-List Customer
Fashion and style are different. I recall a line from a song by the Del Lords that goes "We don't follow fashion. Who needs it when you've got style?" Pretty much sums up my feelings on the matter. I wear what I like and what looks and feels right to me. Now, I've got to be prepared for reactions negative or positive but although my look is somewhat "different" it is never loud, outrageous or a deliberate attempt to say "Look at me!"

Big J

Call Me a Cab
How do folks react?

I wear my Penman Casablanca to work when it's raining (can't stand umbrellas) or just plain cold, and everyone always says that I look really cool, like a proper gentleman, which is nice:)

itsbruce

Familiar Face
I wear a flat cap most days - on foot or on a bicycle - but in London this causes very little comment. I've had just one colleague make comments, but he was an idiot.

The bowler attracts more attention, because I don't dress like a clerk. And any time I wear it while cycling.

Last edited:

scottyrocks

I'll Lock Up
I was walking yesterday, and a woman, probably about my age, smiles and waves me over.

'Where'd you get that hat, Australia?'

I was shocked, since it's an Akubra, and not an 'Aussie' style, but a Fed IV.

Many people in the (my work) neighborhood know me, and many more know me by my hats. People have asked me about them occasionally, and I've told the ones who want to know, a little about the hats I wear almost 100% of the time - Akubra Federations.

So I ask this woman, 'Have we spoken before?' and she replies, 'No,' and then says, 'The next time you're in Australia, bring one back for me.'

I smiled and said I get them mail order.

Overall, a very pleasant experience.

ChiTownScion

Call Me a Cab
I'm fond of wearing one of my Homburgs to court, usually with my Chesterfield overcoat. A female acquaintance of over three decades came up to me a few weeks ago and told me how nice I looked in my "derby."

MothPrey

New in Town
Got a rare positive response Wednesday... or at least I think I did.

Driving through a sleepy suburb, making a right hand turn, SUV coming out from the road I'm turning into. A lot going on right at that moment because it happens to be the corner that I live on, so I'm hitting the remote for the garage door, seeing if can angle past the stern of the SUV to get my driver's window in front of the mailbox and pick up the mail on the way in, lowering my window in preparation for the mail grab, and it's a stick shift...

Anyway, this guy, complete stranger, is looking straight at me through the windshield, sticks his arm way out of his side window and gives me an emphatic thumbs-up. Can't think of anything else that would have prompted it. I was wearing an Akubra Balmoral, very pale, so it probably showed up pretty well through the tinted windshield, and it does get some looks when I'm driving.

cmalbrecht

Familiar Face
A few years ago when I found an elderly Towncraft (JC Penney) felt hat with finished edge that fit perfectly at a flea market, I just couldn't resist. It looks old but it's still my most comfortable hat, and despite the fact that it came from Penney's, it's better quality and finish than anything you can get today. Even much more expensive hats only have the edge folded over and glued or simply left raw. At first, yes, I felt funny wearing it in public but that went away fast, and over the years I've had many a compliment on my hats. Now I feel naked if I go out without a hat on my little head. I have a great Borsalino I picked up here at the Fedora Lounge. I had a really cool Biltmore I gave to a grandson, and a Panama from Panama Bob. I got a Panama from Stetson. It was stiff and didn't hold up well at all for over a hundred bucks. Dumped it at St. Vincent de Paul. I have a felt Stetson which is okay, but isn't as well made as my old JC Penney. My jewel is an old Dobbs in a perfect fit but it's a very dressy hat so I don't often put it on. For $25 it even came with its own original box.

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
The only negative comments I had on my hats came from my Wife and from my Mother. They said my fedoras looked like "Old Men's" hats. Aside from those two I've had nothing but good comments on my hats...and those comments were from other women who liked my fedoras!

Last edited:

gear-guy

Practically Family
The only negative comments I had on my hats came from my Wife and from my Mother. They said my fedoras looked like "Old Men's" hats. Aside from those two I've had nothing but good comments on my hats...and those comments were from other women who liked my fedoras!

Just tell your wife that she is lucky to have a guy that looks so young with a hat on, or just tell her how lucky she is period! I'm so brave on the net.

gear-guy

Practically Family
I still some nice compliments but what I am really shocked over is the approval of what I wear other than my hats or caps. When I go out I usually wear a sport coat with jeans or slacks and many people has asked why I am so dressed up! A cheap coat and a hat and i'm dressed up? I just thought I was keeping warm or keeping the sun off my bald head.

Huertecilla

Banned
I was invited for a weekend at the coast for a party and meet some interesting people.
My fedora and jacket for the saturday night outing were met with great enhusiasme and the ´demand´ I show it on the sunday party too.
It met with the same appreciation and brought out the most wonderfull stories about hats imaginable.

One observation I want to share with you guys here.
After showing my outfit (and shelving it because it was too hot and just to show it) I got literally dráwn into a conversation with appreciative ladies. That ´audience´ was a group of attractive (by ány standards), intelligent, successfull women age 35 to 50 (with one stunning exception of 70).

´Why do you men not wear those incredibly elegant and attractive hats anymore????!!!´

-30-

A-List Customer
´Why do you men not wear those incredibly elegant and attractive hats anymore????!!!´

We may not wear them any "more", but we certainly don't wear them "any less"!

Regards,
J T

T Jones

I'll Lock Up
Just tell your wife that she is lucky to have a guy that looks so young with a hat on, or just tell her how lucky she is period!

Ha! I tell her that every day! :D She responds that she's a trophy wife because she deserves one for putting up with me! She's not funny. :mad:

scooter

Practically Family
Been out of the loop for a good while, but thought I'd come back and say hey to old friends. I was sitting here trying to think of a negative comment, but I have NEVER received any but positive feedback from men and women alike, young or old. Every single person taking the time to comment has been complimentary. I've even had complete strangers salute me from across a crowded terminal at an airport!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy