Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do folks react to your hat wearing?

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
We need to relax around here.

You might remember the quote from the great (?) Rodney King, who said, "Can't we ALL just get along?!!"
we can all absolutely get along ... when people learn stop using ridiculous offensive terminology

but hey ... if it's cool to use those terms then lets have at it ... free rein on all offensive and derogatory titles .... aaaaaand go

we can all absolutely get along ... when people learn stop using ridiculous offensive terminology

but hey ... if it's cool to use those terms then lets have at it ... free rein on all offensive and derogatory titles .... aaaaaand go

Two thoughts that have helped me countless times through the years;

1. Never be offended by a fool.
2. Never argue with a fool... people might not know the difference!

Just keep a-grinning!

so a term that originated in the US now means "Scumbag" in Russia ... mental note taken

talk about lost in translation
Could be. I don't know; I've never been to Russia and don't speak any of the languages spoken there. I'm merely allowing for the possibility. Even here in the U.S. it seems to have different connotations. For example, I've never heard anyone use the term "redneck" in anything other than a jocular manner in the same way it's used by comedians like Jeff Foxworthy and Bill Engvall. Your reaction gives me the impression that on the east coast (or at least in New Jersey) it has a much stronger/more derogatory meaning. I've never been to New Jersey either, so I could be wrong.

Could be. I don't know; I've never been to Russia and don't speak any of the languages spoken there. I'm merely allowing for the possibility. Even here in the U.S. it seems to have different connotations. For example, I've never heard anyone use the term "redneck" in anything other than a jocular manner in the same way it's used by comedians like Jeff Foxworthy and Bill Engvall. Your reaction gives me the impression that on the east coast (or at least in New Jersey) it has a much stronger/more derogatory meaning. I've never been to New Jersey either, so I could be wrong.

Yeah, that's my take, too. It ain't a fightin' word in these parts.

Nobody said a damn thing about my hat today.

Except you guys.

Sent directly from my mind to yours.

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
no it doesn't ... but I know more than a few people that would fight you if you called them that even though they may call themselves that

it's a ... I can call my brother that but you can't ... type of situation

I would dare any of you to go into a bar in certain parts of this country not being from there and call someone that if it's so un offensive ...

it doesn't matter if it is offensive in Jersey or not ... what matters is that this is a public forum and there are people from all over on it ... and when someone comes on using it equating the word to "scumbags" ... well ... that's self explanatory to me

Oddly enough I just started a book called 'Hillbilly Elegy' right now. And on page 3 the author one JD Vance says Hillbillies are what he calls, neighbours, friends and family.
Just read it last week, a good read. My kin must have got on the wrong train and instead of Appalachia they ended up in the Prairies of Canada. So in my heart I carry hillbilly blood. Another great read is "God's Frontiersmen" about the role the Ulster Protestants played in the settling of America. Then for a more contemporary look at Ulstermen, "The Faithful Tribe"

no it doesn't ... but I know more than a few people that would fight you if you called them that even though they may call themselves that

it's a ... I can call my brother that but you can't ... type of situation...
Ah, got it. Thank you for the clarification.

...I would dare any of you to go into a bar in certain parts of this country not being from there and call someone that if it's so un offensive ...
Nope, wouldn't happen. My default is to be polite and show people respect. If I get to know them beyond a casual acquaintance, I let them dictate what is and isn't acceptable behavior in their presence and adjust my language and humor accordingly. That being said, point taken.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I started wearing hats about 35-40 years ago. Back then I occasionally had people pick fights and call me names - generally the theme seemed to be that hats were worn by the effeminate and pretentious and how dare I wear one openly.. etc. These days with grey hair no one seems to notice me in a hat. I think older people can get away with a lot more - unusual dress is seen as more authentic and not worth passing comment on.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner