Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How do YOU break in a new jacket?

Superfluous

My Mail is Forwarded Here
THIS is how you break-in a leather jacket:

giphy.gif

Hh121

Banned
still don't understand why some many people obsessed with break in leather jacket, and using those ridiculous way to get leather softer (it's like fast forward a movie ), if you like soft leather just order tumbled cxl hide or naked cowhide, or even just buy vintage jacket.
I am in the opposite, I don't want break in my jacket too quickly, that's why I like super thick leather it remains new look for much longer time. I enjoy the fight between me and thick, stiff leather, it keeps me awake, soft and light leather just makes me sleepy.
If you want get comfortable why you choose leather jacket??

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
If you want get comfortable why you choose leather jacket??

Hmm... maybe you're just doing it wrong. :D I have a nice 30 year-old 3oz leather jacket on in the house at the moment - it's fairly cold today but I don't want to put on a heater. This jacket fits me like a comfortable woolen cardigan. When leather is broken in, when it gets soft and snug and worn - this is when it finally becomes useful and attractive and the real magic begins.

Hh121

Banned
Hmm... maybe you're just doing it wrong. :D I have a nice 30 year-old 3oz leather jacket on in the house at the moment - it's fairly cold today but I don't want to put on a heater. This jacket fits me like a comfortable woolen cardigan. When leather is broken in, when it gets soft and snug and worn - this is when it finally becomes useful and attractive and the real magic begins.
some leather still has very hard touch even after break in, so it will never get as comfortable as other jacket.

I used to love super heavy and stiff leather. But I never loved wearing it. I honestly don’t think I’d order another CXL jacket. Jerky HH looks more appealing to me these days and a bit more genuine. I do love the look of CXL though. It’s absolutely beautiful to look at. I was actually relieved when the HWM I just picked up was a mere 5lbs. It’s lighter than my 40’s era Herc! Both are a delight to wear.

Seb Lucas

I'll Lock Up
I used to love super heavy and stiff leather. But I never loved wearing it. I honestly don’t think I’d order another CXL jacket. Jerky HH looks more appealing to me these days and a bit more genuine. I do love the look of CXL though. It’s absolutely beautiful to look at. I was actually relieved when the HWM I just picked up was a mere 5lbs. It’s lighter than my 40’s era Herc! Both are a delight to wear.

What kind of thickness is the Herc, ton? I always thought it was around 2.5oz. The weight you report sounds 3oz.

Last edited:

Downunder G Man

One Too Many
Late chime in from Australia to this revitalised old thread.

I will second and third the diagnosis of "just wear it".

For me , no sleeping in it , no machine wash ( unless to get rid of "vintage" bouquet !) , no rolling it up..NOTHING SILLY !

"Just wear it"...

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
R_P_Meldner